U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 09:05 PM

14,091 posts, read 6,740,898 times

Advertisements

I still feel young and full of beans, as my husband would say. Only recently that I thought I was old, I fell down at pickle ball. However, when I’m in a swimming pool, I feel so free, swimming has given me a wonderful feeling, yes I pull myself out of a swimming pool just like when I was younger. But I also mix with lots of young people at school, crack jokes with them as often as I can, maybe that’s why.
I know nobody who’s dying under 80 in the last few years except the 99 years old, my brother’s FIL, my husband’s uncle died at age 96, the lady in bridge died at age 83, and the guy I played bridge with, died age 86.
Life is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:36 AM

18,258 posts, read 11,533,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I went through my 20's to my 60's without losing a long time friend but lately something is happening and it is worrisome. Lost my oldest and longest friend three years ago one day before his 70th birthday. Far to young to die of a sudden, unexpected heart attack.

A young man I trained died a couple years ago at age 50 of a sudden heart attack. Today I got 21 years on him and I am still ticking. Doesn't seem fair.

And now, in just the last two weeks, I've lost two more acquaintances to death.

Last night I told my wife if there is something we want to do we're not going to wait but go do it. I guess we are all living on borrowed time but that fact really hit me today.

I want to go before my wife because I don't know how I would handle the sadness but then for me to say that seems selfish of me. She went to the paint store today and selected some colors for the condo, what would I do without her?

Sorry for the childish rant but the idea of borrowed time just sort of hit me.

As someone who is 3 years older than you, I can relate. However, we are all only put on this earth for a certain amount of time, some longer than others, but we will all eventually be gone.

Here is how I look at it. There are people who never had the chance I did, and who didn't get to live as many years as I have. Some die in their infancy, or youth, and others in their 20's, 30's, etc. God has been good to me, and I have outlived a lot of my friends and relatives, so who am I to complain ?

I think you are being smart to start doing the things you want to do NOW. Life can change in a heartbeat, and we never get a second chance to do all the things we talked about doing. One day, when I was going through my divorce, and feeling down, I was driving home from work. I stopped at a red light, and there were two men in wheelchairs, crossing the street in front of me, and they were completely paralyzed. Here I was, feeling sorry for myself, and there were two men out shopping, who had bigger problems than I could ever imagine.

But instead of being depressed about how you have lived so long, look at the bright side and be thankful you have been given these years. Somewhere, there is someone who would trade lives with you in a second.

Old Yesterday, 01:02 AM

8,756 posts, read 9,825,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I went through my 20's to my 60's without losing a long time friend but lately something is happening and it is worrisome. Lost my oldest and longest friend three years ago one day before his 70th birthday. Far to young to die of a sudden, unexpected heart attack.

A young man I trained died a couple years ago at age 50 of a sudden heart attack. Today I got 21 years on him and I am still ticking. Doesn't seem fair.

And now, in just the last two weeks, I've lost two more acquaintances to death.

Last night I told my wife if there is something we want to do we're not going to wait but go do it. I guess we are all living on borrowed time but that fact really hit me today.

I want to go before my wife because I don't know how I would handle the sadness but then for me to say that seems selfish of me. She went to the paint store today and selected some colors for the condo, what would I do without her?

Sorry for the childish rant but the idea of borrowed time just sort of hit me.

That didn't sound like any kind of "rant" to me. I lost another brother in June and it made me think of those things too. Thinking about all the family and friends I've lost over the last couple of years IS depressing. My best friend died unexpectedly the day after her 65th b'day. Just recently, within six months, I've lost three family members. In the past year and a half I've lost three others and of those six four were young. Drugs and car accidents. Out of seven kids there are three of us left and one is in pretty bad shape. He's on in home dialysis and waiting on a kidney transplant. He'll be 70 in a couple of weeks.

Old Yesterday, 04:43 AM

6,521 posts, read 4,894,584 times
You, the OP, left out another big part of aging. As we move later in life, especially past our 60s, chronic illnesses often become a major concern. I have my share. In addition I see lots of those with knee and hip replacements and other more serious medical conditions. It can indeed be depressing. Personally I have not found anyway to look accept those changes except to soldier on and to try to accomplish what is within reach.

Old Yesterday, 07:06 AM

24,342 posts, read 18,128,121 times
These things seem to come in "batches" for me.

I've been to three funerals in the past three months. A distant family member, a suicide of someone my girlfriend knew, and a friend of hers. Aside from the suicide, the other two were 80+.

I lost basically all of my great aunts and uncles (nearly a dozen) between 2010-2014. That was rough. One grandfather has been dead for a decade in a couple of weeks, but all the others are surviving (mid-80s).

I suspect most of them will be gone in ten more years.

Old Yesterday, 07:43 AM

247 posts, read 90,416 times
I consider myself "the last one standing." I'm 63. Parents, aunt and older brother (was only 68), gone. I'm single, with dogs (lost a nearly 17 year old spaniel last spring). I occasionally scan a high school page to see the latest departures.

My perspective is so different now. Though not to be morbid, everything I do is with a definite sense of "planning ahead" and "appreciating the moment."

I've been philosophical since earliest memory, so I try and keep this all in stride.

Old Yesterday, 08:00 AM

6,570 posts, read 5,248,337 times
Going to two funeral services this week! Skipped one this Monday. All people from the old hood.

Old Yesterday, 09:14 AM

10,894 posts, read 5,105,467 times
My boss' father used to say "Life is like a roll of toilet paper, the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes". When I hit 50 I realized that I've already lived more than half my life and it was a sobering thought.

In the last 9 years I have lost my father, stepfather, husband and this past June my mother. When I spoke to my mother's aunt, who is 92, she was telling me how she is the only one left out of all her brothers and sisters (there were 9 of them). She lost her only child from cancer when she was only 40 and her husband died a few years ago. I'm now the oldest of our family members at 64. It can be a depressing thought.

Last edited by chiluvr1228; Yesterday at 09:47 AM.. Reason: correction

Old Yesterday, 09:46 AM

8,756 posts, read 9,825,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
My boss' father used to say "Life is like a roll of toilet paper, the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes". When I hit 50 I realized that I've already lived more than half my life and it was a sobering thought.

In the last 9 years I have lost my father, stepfather, father and this past June my mother. When I spoke to my mother's aunt, who is 92, she was telling me how she is the only one left out of all her brothers and sisters (there were 9 of them). She lost her only child from cancer when she was only 40 and her husband died a few years ago. I'm now the oldest of our family members at 64. It can be a depressing thought.

I'll be 77 next month and, on both sides of the family, I'm the oldest one left. I had one cousin, 10 years older than me, who died a few months ago. It's a weird feeling, isn't it?

Old Yesterday, 09:59 AM

1,345 posts, read 864,084 times
@nicet4 It wasn't a rant. It's something everyone realizes at some point in their life, and it helps to talk about it. You are right -- if there are things that you want to do, now is the time to do it.

I don't think we're "living on borrowed time", but I do believe we need to live each day to the fullest extent possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or