U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 05:28 PM

307 posts, read 648,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
My boss' father used to say "Life is like a roll of toilet paper, the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes".
That's a quote I soon wont forget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2019, 07:11 AM

6,588 posts, read 5,261,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Serious Conversation had a husband? Thatís something he has been hiding well from this forum.
That should have been a reply to Harpaint

Old 09-13-2019, 08:58 AM

19,580 posts, read 21,079,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Nobody said life is going to be easy, or fair. Spend some time with nature. There is life everywhere on this planet. It is an amazing thing but part of life is the cycle; we are all part of it. Just enjoy the time you are here.
Excellent advice, with factual evidence to support it.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/n...its/index.html

Old 09-13-2019, 12:58 PM

22,041 posts, read 19,611,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I went through my 20's to my 60's without losing a long time friend but lately something is happening and it is worrisome. Lost my oldest and longest friend three years ago one day before his 70th birthday. Far to young to die of a sudden, unexpected heart attack.

A young man I trained died a couple years ago at age 50 of a sudden heart attack. Today I got 21 years on him and I am still ticking. Doesn't seem fair.

And now, in just the last two weeks, I've lost two more acquaintances to death.

Last night I told my wife if there is something we want to do we're not going to wait but go do it. I guess we are all living on borrowed time but that fact really hit me today.

I want to go before my wife because I don't know how I would handle the sadness but then for me to say that seems selfish of me. She went to the paint store today and selected some colors for the condo, what would I do without her?

Sorry for the childish rant but the idea of borrowed time just sort of hit me.
I know what you mean. As we get older and finally old, death becomes so much more present, both other people's and our own. Most of us have comfortable lives and take life for granted, long lives. But sooner or later we realize how fragile life is, mostly one's health.

Sure, theoretically one could replace the ones that pass away with new friends, but it is not the same. No common memories, different tastes etc. The young have their own world, their lives are still ahead of them.

Sometimes I wonder what age I could bear without getting bored of life and feeling like a dinosaur caught in the wrong era. Nothing to look forward to as there won't be any u-turn anymore. Life is gradually drawing to a close. Time to get one's stuff in order and be prepared to say good-bye any day.

I don't mind being dead, but the dying part must suck.

Old 09-13-2019, 02:59 PM

12,584 posts, read 12,775,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Our family cemetery is filling up fast these days. Living on borrowed time is right.
It's part of growing old. The ghosts outnumber the living at gatherings. My grandfather was born in 1863, when the Civil War was still going. He died in 1961, and had outlived his entire generation. My mother experienced the same thing. She lived to 95, and her friends kept dying on her. I'm already starting to feel the same effect. I had two roomies in the early '70s. Both of them are dead. The second girl I ever kissed is dead. One of my best friends from college is dead.

I don't have any kids, just nieces and nephews I never hear from. I expect that I will spend my final hours as an anonymous old man in nursing care. I may put my affairs in order and check out before it gets that bad, but I'll wait until there is nobody left who would care. Maybe I'll luck out and have a heart attack before it becomes an issue, but the doc says my arteries are fine.

Old 09-13-2019, 03:01 PM

22,041 posts, read 19,611,379 times
You must eat an entire bag of potato chips every day, that should get you closer to your goal in no time.

Old Yesterday, 06:18 PM

3,498 posts, read 4,055,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
It's part of growing old. The ghosts outnumber the living at gatherings. My grandfather was born in 1863, when the Civil War was still going. He died in 1961, and had outlived his entire generation. My mother experienced the same thing. She lived to 95, and her friends kept dying on her. I'm already starting to feel the same effect. I had two roomies in the early '70s. Both of them are dead. The second girl I ever kissed is dead. One of my best friends from college is dead.

I don't have any kids, just nieces and nephews I never hear from. I expect that I will spend my final hours as an anonymous old man in nursing care. I may put my affairs in order and check out before it gets that bad, but I'll wait until there is nobody left who would care. Maybe I'll luck out and have a heart attack before it becomes an issue, but the doc says my arteries are fine.
Nieces and nephews=siblings. What about them? What about cousins on both of your parents side? Surely Mom and Dad had siblings who had kids?

Old Yesterday, 07:39 PM

28,400 posts, read 40,283,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I went through my 20's to my 60's without losing a long time friend but lately something is happening and it is worrisome. Lost my oldest and longest friend three years ago one day before his 70th birthday. Far to young to die of a sudden, unexpected heart attack.

A young man I trained died a couple years ago at age 50 of a sudden heart attack. Today I got 21 years on him and I am still ticking. Doesn't seem fair.

And now, in just the last two weeks, I've lost two more acquaintances to death.

Last night I told my wife if there is something we want to do we're not going to wait but go do it. I guess we are all living on borrowed time but that fact really hit me today.

I want to go before my wife because I don't know how I would handle the sadness but then for me to say that seems selfish of me. She went to the paint store today and selected some colors for the condo, what would I do without her?

Sorry for the childish rant but the idea of borrowed time just sort of hit me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thXXRkwTOmg

That Smell
Lynyrd Skynyrd

Whiskey bottles, and brand new cars
Oak tree you're in my way
There's too much coke and too much smoke
Look what's going on inside you

Ooooh that smell
Can't you smell that smell
Ooooh that smell
The smell of death surrounds you

Angel of darkness is upon you
Stuck a needle in your arm
So take another toke, have a blow for your nose
And one more drink fool, will drown you

Ooooh that smell
Ooooh that smell

Now they call you Prince Charming
Can't speak a word when you're full of 'ludes
Say you'll be all right come tomorrow
But tomorrow might not be here for you

Ooooh that smell
Ooooh that smell

One little problem that confronts you
Got a monkey on your back
Just one more fix, Lord, might do the trick
One hell of a price for you to get your kicks

Ooooh that smell
can't you smell that smell
Ooooh that smell
the smell of death's around you

Ooooh that smell
can't you smell that smell
Ooooh that smell
the smell of death's around you

Old Today, 06:54 AM

908 posts, read 428,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
You must eat an entire bag of potato chips every day, that should get you closer to your goal in no time.
I have a relative with CHF, CKD, and diabetes who does that several times a day. They havenít seen their feet in years but to hear them tell it, life is good.

Old Today, 08:00 AM

10,923 posts, read 5,119,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Serious Conversation had a husband? Thatís something he has been hiding well from this forum.
Oops, wrong person. Harpaint is who I meant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or