U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 10:46 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
23,292 posts, read 40,894,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Interesting how they say awarded. It is not something that you are blessed with for working. You paid into it and the amount you are getting is based on income that you earned.

I plan on working another 20 to 25 years. If I work only 20 more years I will have 21 years where my income was over $100,000.
My wife plans on working another 17 years. ...

I can't even imagine your NW / retirement cash flows & not important.. We were a single earner family. Never exceeded $80k, took many 'gap yrs' (no pay) to homeschool our kids, gave away more than we kept, & still retired pre- age 50 and will defer Single earner SS until age 70.

I may take a PT job if it includes free international travel. That would only be for fun. we don't need more dough. Enough is enough. (For us). Lost (3) friends pre age 60 this year. So each day above ground is a bonus! We are living on borrowed time. At the moment traveling 50%+ of the time while we are able. (16 yrs retired and traveling, hoping to live to age 65 to get HC). One step at a time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2019, 06:22 PM

1,646 posts, read 1,938,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
That is sad. It seems you are at retirement age, have spent a lifetime working and gained no or few skills that are employable? What did you do for a lifetime of work that left you without any skills of interest to employers? Did you invest in your career, your education, your technical skills?

When I was late in my career, I had the most opportunities ever. Even after retirement I got unsolicited job offers. All were way, way beyond minimum wage.
You've obviously never spent much time out of your cocoon of success and privilege.

Old 09-16-2019, 08:56 AM

16,037 posts, read 27,234,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I can't even imagine your NW / retirement cash flows & not important.. We were a single earner family. Never exceeded $80k, took many 'gap yrs' (no pay) to homeschool our kids, gave away more than we kept, & still retired pre- age 50 and will defer Single earner SS until age 70.

I may take a PT job if it includes free international travel. That would only be for fun. we don't need more dough. Enough is enough. (For us). Lost (3) friends pre age 60 this year. So each day above ground is a bonus! We are living on borrowed time. At the moment traveling 50%+ of the time while we are able. (16 yrs retired and traveling, hoping to live to age 65 to get HC). One step at a time.
I can't imagine not working. I love what I do and doing it for as long as I can is a benefit. Our household income is just under $200,000 a year. We do live in a High Cost of living area. Our savings and investments are on track to hit our minimum goal of $2,000,000 or more. By working longer I hope to build that to the $5 million mark.

Old 09-17-2019, 01:24 AM

26,661 posts, read 29,106,958 times
The only problem is if you can't for health or other reasons, or if you can't find a job. I also think working because you want to vs. because you have to for financial reasons are 2 different universes. Knowing you can walk away from a job if you're not happy is definitely a different experience.

Old 09-17-2019, 01:39 AM

26,661 posts, read 29,106,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I am not sure why someone would leave a job, retire, and then go and get a job.
They're typically getting a less stressful job with fewer hours than the job they left.

Old 09-17-2019, 03:14 AM

73,995 posts, read 73,812,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
They're typically getting a less stressful job with fewer hours than the job they left.
i think more often then not this is not the case ... most of those who had jobs like my buddy working for nyc ems retired at 20 years ...

then they took a job somewhere thinking it was going to be less stressful .. they gave up a good paying job with good benefits and decent hours , where they are basically off the radar as far as being scrutinized .

then traded it for a low paying job , with near no benefits , working the worst shifts WHILE UNDER THE MICROSCOPE OF A GRUNT SUPERVISOR EVALUATING THEIR EVERY MOVE. all he did was trade the types of stress while now hving crappy pay and benefits ..

anytime you are new somewhere you are low man on the totem pole and usually monitored very carefully .

Old 09-17-2019, 06:16 AM

12,325 posts, read 5,481,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i think more often then not this is not the case ... most of those who had jobs like my buddy working for nyc ems retired at 20 years ...

then they took a job somewhere thinking it was going to be less stressful .. they gave up a good paying job with good benefits and decent hours , where they are basically off the radar as far as being scrutinized .

then traded it for a low paying job , with near no benefits , working the worst shifts WHILE UNDER THE MICROSCOPE OF A GRUNT SUPERVISOR EVALUATING THEIR EVERY MOVE. all he did was trade the types of stress while now hving crappy pay and benefits ..

anytime you are new somewhere you are low man on the totem pole and usually monitored very carefully .
I tend to agree. How many of us are going to get a part time job traveling the world at company expense? If you need the money and the job, any job can be stressful because you are always on the chopping block and someone over you is watching everything you do and taking notes. It doesn't matter if you work mopping floors. You can always do it faster and better and your supervisor isn't going to have much sympathy for you because you're 70 and need the money.
On the other hand, if you work a part time job just to get out of the house 2-3 times a week and don't need it to pay the mortgage, rent or buy food, then that job becomes pretty much stress free.

Old 09-17-2019, 08:38 AM

16,037 posts, read 27,234,791 times
I have seen people that worked in Civil Service that retired after 30 years and went on to start a career somewhere else. Take a Teacher. In California after you put your 30 years in then you have a pension for life and as long as you don't get a job with another civil service employer you get your full pension and can have an income at the other job.

Plenty of former military personal will do the same thing, retire and go into private service in some other industry. I work with three guys that did that.

On the other hand, One close friend used to teach at the high school and coach football. His real passion was wanting to become a fire fighter. After a few years of teaching his application was accepted and he became a fire fighter. He retired after 30 years and decided to go back to teaching. After one year he was informed that if he continued to teach his pension payment would be reduced. So he stopped teaching. We tried hiring him at the hospital but he was always concerned about reducing his pension. I told him that we are not a government organization and he should be fine. He decided that he did not want to work anymore.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:42 AM

212 posts, read 54,210 times
My guess is most people find p/t jobs they somewhat enjoy later in ife-whether they need the money to pay bills or not.

When I'd visit McDonalds once a week for free wifi & breakfast, two different older ladies would serve me.
This restaurant is so busy the line can go outside so they usually bring your food while offering to get anything you need.

Both ladies were in their 70's appreciative of their jobs.
Both say it gets them out of the house 3 days a wk, exercise and socialization.
They both appear poor to me so eventually each said this money is stored away for when they are elderly.
Thus seem to have small nest eggs

They are always happy

It's the one time in life all are rewarded for efforts via SS
yet not forced to quit working so can finally save money
if health stands the test of time
which it usually does if you eat even half way decently
they should be ok
with this extra 10-15 yrs of p/t work stashed away (about $300 a wk)
More favorable taxes for Seniors too
For the low income
It can be their happiest years

Last edited by SaraR.; 09-17-2019 at 10:53 AM..

Old 09-17-2019, 10:48 AM

32,945 posts, read 20,843,192 times
Wasn't aware of anyone saying it was bad, but I wouldn't care if they did. I do what is good for me and my family.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or