U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 10:52 AM

8,628 posts, read 5,318,262 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of re-entering the work world.

Go to clown school, hang out my shingle as an emotional support clown. Watch the orders roll in.

Man shows up for termination meeting with emotional support clown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 10:57 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
23,292 posts, read 40,894,140 times
Sure, find something that fits you!

I can do about anything as long as I don't have a direct supervisor or 'cry-baby' co-workers.

I prefer to work hard (2-6 months of 16+ hr days) and Play hard (a few yrs off work). I call it a 'reverse sabbatical' i.e. 1 yr working : 7 yrs on 'sabbatical'

The last thing I want is a 2-3 day / week 'bother' to my freedom. Many retirees (especially ex gov workers LOVE a couple days / week 'regular' gig. That's fine with me, I have never shown up at work the same time or done the same thing any 2 days in a row, yet had friends who never wavered from the 'usual' 9-5. They stood around and BS'd all shift, but Don't get between them and the door on their way out. Not me, but worked great for them, too bad they are now dead. (It certainly was not from STRESS!).

Takes all kinds to make the world go round.

Find what fits! Retirement, work, PT work, volunteer, veg on the couch, run marathons daily... all are fine!

Old 09-17-2019, 10:58 AM

212 posts, read 54,210 times
My next door neighbor is a Magician
He has his own live rabbit
He visits school groups, the fair hires him, pretty much goes anywhere.
He charges by the mile after a certain distance
So is often paid to travel
He loves it.
He's 70

Too bad they were so low income their life
They are still saving
His wife is a care-giver 4-5 days a wk
so cannot really go with him
She has little SS I am guessing
She arrived here almost 10 yrs ago from a poor country

Old 10-13-2019, 10:32 AM

30 posts, read 4,308 times
Whatever WORKS for YOU is my motto.
Who cares what anyone else thinks? Only care about what YOU think.
More and more people are working past 65 than ever before due to many factors: financial necessity, health insurance for younger spouse and/or children, desire to be part of a group and contribute to society, desire to save more money for your IRA retirement fund, etc etc.

Old 10-13-2019, 01:12 PM

3,858 posts, read 2,946,990 times
This is the kind of comment I would have made before I was elderly. Youth always think that they will be the same mentally, emotionally, and physically when they are 65, just older.

Working longer is way more exhausting, way harder on mental attitude.

People who say this simply have no conception of the deterioration they will experience as they age---even if they are one of the lucky ones to stay pretty healthy into their 70’s or 80’s. My children certainly don’t understand. They drive by car to places in one day that really need to be done in 3 days for me, and that I struggle with 2. I simply can’t do a 16 hour straight car drive. Stamina is not there. It takes me days to recover from driving 8 hours straight to my daughter’s house.

Old 10-13-2019, 01:55 PM

14,403 posts, read 6,943,771 times
Wait, who drives 8 hour straight? Max is 6 for me. I get to take a break at lunch for 30 minutes, and two breaks in between for 15 minutes. So technically I take a break every 1.30-2 hours. Much more manageable. We maybe old physically, but our brain still works. Break things down to manageable chunks. Actually that has been my motto all along.

Old 10-13-2019, 06:42 PM

10,248 posts, read 12,612,376 times
I delayed applying for SS benefits until a few months short of turning 70 and my monthly benefit is just over $3,000 but that is before they take my Medicare Part B out. Together my wife and I collect $4,300 in social security which is equivalent to a weekly take home check of $1,000 and I figure if we can't live on that we have a personal problem.

But I am one that still works full time only because I want to. I really enjoy my job and to me it's just plain fun so maybe I will retire in five years when I'm 76? Maybe 80?

But what is great about it is I am only working because it is what I want to do but if it ended tomorrow... if it ended tomorrow I would go look for another job doing what I have done for nearly 45 years.

Old 10-13-2019, 07:14 PM

212 posts, read 54,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I delayed applying for SS benefits until a few months short of turning 70 and my monthly benefit is just over $3,000 but that is before they take my Medicare Part B out. Together my wife and I collect $4,300 in social security which is equivalent to a weekly take home check of $1,000 and I figure if we can't live on that we have a personal problem.

But I am one that still works full time only because I want to. I really enjoy my job and to me it's just plain fun so maybe I will retire in five years when I'm 76? Maybe 80?

But what is great about it is I am only working because it is what I want to do but if it ended tomorrow... if it ended tomorrow I would go look for another job doing what I have done for nearly 45 years.
I think most people will not know what to do with this ^^^^

Old 10-13-2019, 07:36 PM

33,097 posts, read 37,500,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I went to a RE Training class this last week and sat beside a little old lady. I picked her brain about retirement and working.

She is 76 and sells about 4-6 houses a year, only takes care of her older friends and enjoys her "Travel" money.

In the self employed world, this is not unusual. I know it gives me a lot of write offs I hate to lose.

Old 10-13-2019, 08:15 PM

5,495 posts, read 3,591,210 times
'little old lady'? That would be a woman. Or a 76-year old woman. And woman who is a Real Estate Agent.

Calling someone a 'little old lady' is rude and such terminology is completely unnecessary and societies have progressed beyond that terminology, in terms of respect.

Would you say 'little old man' if it had been a man sitting next to you? no, never!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or