U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:00 AM

10,984 posts, read 21,627,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
LOL....I am familiar with that part of the MB area. I know that there are quiet sections, off the beaten path, those are the areas that we would be interested in looking at.
My MIL has lived in a golf development for 30 years and loves it. I figured she would come back to NJ after her hub passed away but she hasn't. She has one adult child down there with her and 2 in NJ still. The family is centered in Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:10 AM

1,669 posts, read 355,586 times
I just moved to North Myrtle Beach this past May.
Loving it so far.

What traffic ? (I came from Texas ...gridlock all over)
What heat ? (I came from Texas ....100 in August is typical)
People are just as friendly here as they were in Texas.
Beach is a 10 minute drive for me.
Neighbors recommend good, out of the way, non touristy places to eat.
Plan on getting a 3 speed beach cruiser and learn to play golf.

So far I'm as happy as a clam at high tide !

Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM

1,511 posts, read 741,368 times
Thanks everyone. If you could also recommend specific communities, that would be great. It`s a huge area.

Old Yesterday, 10:38 AM

1,669 posts, read 355,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Thanks everyone. If you could also recommend specific communities, that would be great. It`s a huge area.
Yes it is huge when you consider the entire length of it and all the towns along the Grand Strand.
Sorry can't help you as I haven't ventured down that way where you're looking.

It's on my list though as someone told me there's an honest to goodness "butcher" shop in Murrells Inlet.

Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM

5,859 posts, read 1,482,853 times
If it were me, I would look around Murrell's Inlet or Pawley's Island. I lived in MB in the mid 80's. MB has changed a lot since then. I don't think I would want to live right in MB.

Old Yesterday, 02:37 PM

9,256 posts, read 8,001,694 times
A lot of retirees in the MB area are 5 to 10 miles from the "strip" thus more secluded. I would suggest checking out the greater Charleston area and Bluffton (near Hilton Head) over MB though Murrell's Inlet is a bit nicer, quieter and more upmarket than most of Myrtle Beach.

Old Yesterday, 02:45 PM

1,511 posts, read 741,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
A lot of retirees in the MB area are 5 to 10 miles from the "strip" thus more secluded. I would suggest checking out the greater Charleston area and Bluffton (near Hilton Head) over MB though Murrell's Inlet is a bit nicer, quieter and more upmarket than most of Myrtle Beach.
John, Just thought we would check out the area, on our way to Bluffton. We don`t want to miss any areas we might like.

Old Yesterday, 03:05 PM

5,496 posts, read 3,166,613 times
Where you are moving from is a factor not to be ignored. It will color your perspective.

Old Yesterday, 06:33 PM

1,977 posts, read 2,508,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
It's on my list though as someone told me there's an honest to goodness "butcher" shop in Murrells Inlet.
Is that the NY Butcher Shop?
If so, the brand is in Mt Pleasant, too.

Old Yesterday, 06:46 PM

914 posts, read 1,544,129 times
Big fan of NMB and the southern towns of NC. I have rented for the month of January for the past three years and will rent Dec/Jan/Feb in 2020 as a "try on" before I lay anchor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or