U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:44 AM

1,511 posts, read 741,368 times

Advertisements

Thought I would post here.....not much action in SC`s threads. Going to be in that area, and want to check out some communities. Murrells Inlet, Carolina Forest areas. Too many communities to weed out. Looking for a place that has some things to do.....shuffleboard, bocce, a few clubs. Anyone out there in Myrtle Beach area?

Last edited by marcandme; Yesterday at 07:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:19 AM

4,507 posts, read 3,837,190 times
I looked there and moved on.
Remember it is a big vacation spot so when you look at it do it from the stand point of you living there.
How will the vacation traffic affect you?
Remember the possibility of hurricanes.
Figure out the area of the country you would like to live in - weather, taxes and cost of living.
Then figure out the geography - beach, inland from beach, away from ocean, in the mountains, etc.
As you are doing the above try and figure out if you want a small, medium or large or very large community. What features you want in the community.
I think you are looking for an over 55 community of at least a couple thousand families. Large community but not very large.
Look at the various community web sites (any location will do) to try and figure out how size impacts what you are looking for.
Be sure the community is close to the services you will need - shopping, medical etc.

Old Yesterday, 08:27 AM

2,553 posts, read 908,332 times
My parents lived there for 30 years. They liked it except for the huge influx of tourists during prime tourist season. They also eventually dropped windstorm coverage on their house because it was crazy expensive. They'd paid cash and the house was modest; they figured the main value was the land, which was about a mile from the beach. Mom died in 2016 and Dad sold the place soon after so it was a good bet.

The local paper (Myrtle Beach Sun) frequently had grammatical errors. It helps if you like retail and restaurants- there are tons of both.

They rented for a year before buying a house. I think that was a good idea.

Old Yesterday, 08:29 AM

276 posts, read 63,452 times
Several in my family used to consider it, but the crime rates have increased there (more than they were comfortable with) so they passed on it.

Old Yesterday, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
I looked there and moved on.
Remember it is a big vacation spot so when you look at it do it from the stand point of you living there.
How will the vacation traffic affect you?
Remember the possibility of hurricanes.
Figure out the area of the country you would like to live in - weather, taxes and cost of living.
Then figure out the geography - beach, inland from beach, away from ocean, in the mountains, etc.
As you are doing the above try and figure out if you want a small, medium or large or very large community. What features you want in the community.
I think you are looking for an over 55 community of at least a couple thousand families. Large community but not very large.
Look at the various community web sites (any location will do) to try and figure out how size impacts what you are looking for.
Be sure the community is close to the services you will need - shopping, medical etc.
Yes....We already know that we will live on the Carolina coast. We do have couple of communities picked out, one is near Hilton Head, the other is in NC. We just thought, while going through the MB area, we would check things out there. We are beach people, and that is important too us.

Old Yesterday, 08:50 AM

115 posts, read 31,688 times
My wife's Aunt has lived in Murrels Inlet for the last 12 years. She loves it, not as crazy as the Myrtle beach area. Tells us all the time to come on down. She is a big beach goer, and fisherperson.

Old Yesterday, 09:15 AM

4,384 posts, read 6,130,204 times
We checked it out last spring, spent nine days there. Not for us. It came across as 'Mantown' to me, golf everywhere, humungous restaurants with the main focus on the large bar areas and with bland cheap eats. We did find a few nice restaurants but they were a rarity and priced higher than they should be because of their scarcity. I don't mean to say that golf isn't for women but MB attracts large groups of men who travel down in packs to get a head start on their game in the spring.

Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM

2,553 posts, read 908,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
We checked it out last spring, spent nine days there. Not for us. It came across as 'Mantown' to me, golf everywhere, humungous restaurants with the main focus on the large bar areas and with bland cheap eats. We did find a few nice restaurants but they were a rarity and priced higher than they should be because of their scarcity.
Agreed on the restaurants. Lots of "All U Can Eat" places, either bargain-priced with lots of cheap, filling, starchy stuff or very expensive to make up for all the people who skip breakfast and lunch and load up on crab legs.

I'd also caution against buying in golf course communities now. My parents both golfed and there was certainly plenty of that, but I've read that golf isn't as popular with the younger generation so properties that include golf course rights aren't as attractive as they once were. I get that; I come from a family of golf fanatics and never understood the attraction.

Old Yesterday, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
We checked it out last spring, spent nine days there. Not for us. It came across as 'Mantown' to me, golf everywhere, humungous restaurants with the main focus on the large bar areas and with bland cheap eats. We did find a few nice restaurants but they were a rarity and priced higher than they should be because of their scarcity. I don't mean to say that golf isn't for women but MB attracts large groups of men who travel down in packs to get a head start on their game in the spring.
LOL....I am familiar with that part of the MB area. I know that there are quiet sections, off the beaten path, those are the areas that we would be interested in looking at.

Old Yesterday, 09:51 AM

12,027 posts, read 17,633,600 times
My great Aunt and Uncle retired there years ago. My Uncle loved golf so he was in paradise. My Aunt joined bridge clubs and church service orgs and liked it as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or