U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:55 PM

8,314 posts, read 12,068,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Yes, remember hold harmless is for the amount, not the percentage. If Medicare goes up $10/m, it means little if SS increases $50. It would be nice if Medicare could only go up the same percentage as SS. Currently at $135, an increase to $144 is 6% increase.
You're not seriously complaining about a $9/month increase to a total of $144/month for health insurance when others are having to pay hundreds if not $1000+ more per month for worse coverage, are you?

Most people under the age of 65 would kill to be able to have comprehensive health insurance coverage for less than $150. Hell, Medicare would be cheap to them at twice the price!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:41 PM

718 posts, read 220,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
You're not seriously complaining about a $9/month increase to a total of $144/month for health insurance when others are having to pay hundreds if not $1000+ more per month for worse coverage, are you?

Most people under the age of 65 would kill to be able to have comprehensive health insurance coverage for less than $150. Hell, Medicare would be cheap to them at twice the price!
first of all, some retirees pay alot more than 144 per month for medicare. Second, medicare is insurance, acts like an ins co, and its not good comphrensive coverage for some people. Actually, its crap.

Old Yesterday, 04:24 PM

5,446 posts, read 3,538,873 times
How is Medicare "comprehensive health insurance coverage" when a senior needs to buy a supplemental insurance policy (plus a separate Part D Prescription Drug policy for some) to cover what Medicare does not cover and to supplement Medicare?

And how is Medicare at $144 per month deemed comprehensive health coverage when one must purchase the above? (Unless the senior opts for a zero per month Advantage plan rather than a supplemental plan which costs)

just asking.....

Old Yesterday, 05:23 PM

73,406 posts, read 73,197,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
first of all, some retirees pay alot more than 144 per month for medicare. Second, medicare is insurance, acts like an ins co, and its not good comphrensive coverage for some people. Actually, its crap.
Medicare and my supplement are the best insurance I have had in 15 years .....the expensive for profit hmos I had through work were expensive and had high out of pockets ...I am thrilled to spend what I do now for Medicare and our supplement compared to what we had prior

Old Yesterday, 05:37 PM

4,882 posts, read 2,786,231 times
Quote:
So get some other insurance. I think it's a pretty good deal myself.

Old Yesterday, 05:56 PM

Quote:
First of all, I was responding to one particular poster who made specific reference to the increase to $144, so your comment about how "some retirees" pay more is completely irrelevant.

Secondly, if you feel Medicare is "crap," then cancel your Part B coverage and go out and get something better.

Old Yesterday, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
How is Medicare "comprehensive health insurance coverage" when a senior needs to buy a supplemental insurance policy (plus a separate Part D Prescription Drug policy for some) to cover what Medicare does not cover and to supplement Medicare?

And how is Medicare at $144 per month deemed comprehensive health coverage when one must purchase the above? (Unless the senior opts for a zero per month Advantage plan rather than a supplemental plan which costs)

just asking.....
It's comprehensive health insurance coverage because it covers roughly 80% of your medical expenses. That's about average for what many employer-provided comprehensive health insurance policies cover. My Blue Cross policy, for example, covers between 75% - 90% of expenses, depending upon the type of medical provider.

Some non-group, individual policies cover much less than 80% and yet still cost more (in some cases many times more) than $144 per month; which btw, was the point of my initial post above.

just answering....

Old Yesterday, 07:28 PM

13 posts, read 1,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
if you delay ss you are uncapped as far medicare increases though .. for those collecting you are covered under hold harmless and your part b can't go up more than the cola increase ... for those not collecting you are not capped .
Also for those in any of the brackets above the bottom $144/mo you are not capped as far as medicare increases, regardless of whether drawing SS or not.

Old Yesterday, 09:24 PM

774 posts, read 916,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Nothing to worry about, Warren is going to give us an extra $200 per month.

Well, that's what she says anyway. Would it happen if she gets elected? Who knows.

Old Yesterday, 09:38 PM

774 posts, read 916,257 times
Would trade wars effect COLA? Maybe a higher % if anything...but not right way. I disagree with the so-called experts saying trade war will cause a recession. I think it will help the US economy. Remember, we export so little in compared to what China imports here. China has more to loose than we do. Tariffs increase $$$ to US gov to both lower taxes, reduce dept, and maybe some left over for increased SS benefits.
The economy will be fine....I think most people would not mind paying a little more for better products produced elsewhere. I think most consumers don't like China from a geopolitical viewpoint as well.

The economist talking heads also stated the stock market would crash if Trump got elected. Instead, the Dow rose from approx 20k to 26k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or