U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:56 PM

269 posts, read 125,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
I found them on Facebook and I was horrified to see the kind of people they had become, so much so that since that day I have sworn off Facebook. I think it is best not to go there, as neither you nor they may be the same people that you were.

I was not disappointed or shocked at what past friends turned out to be like. They were just average retired people. I don't enjoy FB just because of old friends from the distant past. I like it to keep in contact with relatives and friends of today. It helps me keep in touch with them. Share images etc. There are also great Groups there for just about every subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:57 PM

257 posts, read 93,513 times
I liked the pre-facebook days. You met people, some you liked and some you didn't. Some became lifelong friends. The others faded away. Now with facebook you wind up being "friends" with people from years and years ago. You are not the same person you were, neither are they. I don't know what I would say to most people from long ago, even people I was friends with. And the people I didn't like, they are best forgotten.

Old Yesterday, 07:02 PM

2,428 posts, read 1,231,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp61616 View Post
I liked the pre-facebook days. You met people, some you liked and some you didn't. Some became lifelong friends. The others faded away. Now with facebook you wind up being "friends" with people from years and years ago. You are not the same person you were, neither are they. I don't know what I would say to most people from long ago, even people I was friends with. And the people I didn't like, they are best forgotten.
You can look up people on Facebook just to see what they look like now, without sending them a friend request. Profile pics are public. If you are curious about old acquaintances, you can take a look at their public pics and then move on.

You don't have to friend them.

Old Yesterday, 07:03 PM

20,292 posts, read 19,272,044 times
A few of them have found ME! It's the internet, facebook or not, you can find people. I only have a few of those people but I value them because of their wisdom. And one who always gave such good advice was also one who had such a great sense of humor that I would literally be rolling on the floor laughing. We have the same birthday and he and (his woman friend--he never married) and my husband and I are all going to get together. Getting ready for some great laughter!

Another one did get married, had his life, his wife is now dead, but he's still there and we talk on the phone. He has a woman friend but we can still talk and I still learn from him.

I never had a lot of people in my life, just a few, but they were special.

Old Yesterday, 07:37 PM

6,041 posts, read 5,427,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
You know the ones that were in your life for a very short period and then drifted away or disappeared? They were really great coworkers, family friends, classmates, etc you wished you could have cultivated a deeper relationship with. Who were they and how did they affect your life? What would you say to them if you could see them again?
I don't think I would want to see them again. That was another time and place.

I only have Facebook friends that are in my life now. I decline from relatives and classmates.

Old Yesterday, 07:55 PM

4,846 posts, read 1,876,416 times
When I find them now, it's in the obituaries.

Men are easy to find, but women keep changing their name.

Old Yesterday, 08:01 PM

20,292 posts, read 19,272,044 times
Quote:
You know the ones that were in your life for a very short period and then drifted away or disappeared? They were really great coworkers, family friends, classmates, etc you wished you could have cultivated a deeper relationship with. Who were they and how did they affect your life? What would you say to them if you could see them again?
When I see John again I am (if he is not cracking jokes that make me fall on the floor) I am going to say THANK YOU! Thank you for advising me to go ahead and meet this "idiot" that wanted to take me out. He said, "Oh go ahead. Have a good time. Who knows, you might even like him." LIKE him? I ended up MARRYING him! Thank you, John.

And Mike, we are 18 years old again when we talk on the phone. Remember when we saw the UFO? He also remembers when we were lost getting back from NYC and I yelled, "Hey! There's a sign that says New England!" Last time we spoke he said he'd probably still be driving if I hadn't seen that sign! What reminders of fun times.

And one guy remembers when he took me back to where he used to live. We were about 25 years old and there, in front of his old house, was his neighbor from all those years back. And what did this neighbor blurt out? "Hey, I remember you when you were a little fat boy!" Just exactly what my friend wouldn't have wanted his old neighbor to say in front of me, lol. We still laugh about it.

This is a fun thread for me--most of the people that I don't know anymore, I am glad I don't know them anymore. But the ones who found me again, I am so grateful and surprised that they did.

Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM

7,671 posts, read 8,861,821 times
Quote:
Some I've stayed in touch with and cultivated deeper relationships, others I haven't. I learn things from many people I meet along the way whether it's small lessons, larger lessons, a unique perspective, enjoying a shared sense of humor, or even seeing a new part of myself I hadn't before.

Old Yesterday, 08:48 PM

7,404 posts, read 1,630,236 times
Most of mine are almost certainly dead by now.

The one I remember most fondly is my husband's and my former boss, who was SUCH a character in addition to being a nice person and wonderful "coach". We often wonder what he would think if he knew that my husband and I had gotten together and married after I left the company, and if he know how successful my husband had become after having him for a mentor.

Unfortunately, when we knew him, he was about 70 to our 30 (about), and we did not truly appreciate how unique and special he was. (sigh)

Old Yesterday, 08:59 PM

4,134 posts, read 2,644,302 times
I have never been able to find anyone on Facebook. A lot of old people don't have computers, have one but go on it little. shun Facebook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or