U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 09:15 PM

6,579 posts, read 5,257,205 times

Advertisements

I'm in touch with all kinds of former acquaintances. From elementary classmates to ex husbands - lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 09:16 PM

6,530 posts, read 4,900,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

I think people are pretty much fungible.
I find that very sad. That also says a lot about you.

Personally I have lots of friends and acquaintances who I do not consider "fungible"; i.e, easily replaced, interchangeable. Many of my friends are highly unique with special interests, special ideas and outlooks and accomplishments. I even have a couple of friends from many years ago who have died but I think of them frequently.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:19 PM

24,354 posts, read 18,147,137 times
A few never turned up on Facebook. There are some people that I haven't heard from in a decade or so who I'd like to know what happened to.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:58 PM

8,369 posts, read 5,123,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I find that very sad. That also says a lot about you.

Personally I have lots of friends and acquaintances who I do not consider "fungible"; i.e, easily replaced, interchangeable. Many of my friends are highly unique with special interests, special ideas and outlooks and accomplishments. I even have a couple of friends from many years ago who have died but I think of them frequently.
Thanks for the insult and for explaining to me what fungible means.

Such superior condescension.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:03 PM

9,542 posts, read 12,466,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
You know the ones that were in your life for a very short period and then drifted away or disappeared? They were really great coworkers, family friends, classmates, etc you wished you could have cultivated a deeper relationship with. Who were they and how did they affect your life? What would you say to them if you could see them again?

Mainly those acquaintance that I met in the military , yes sometimes I wonder where they are and what they are up to.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:25 PM

14,108 posts, read 6,752,709 times
None, I don’t have Facebook. But I did find two old roommates using my husband’s account, we used to write to each other after I moved back to California but then we stopped.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:42 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,876,207 times
My best friends today are coworkers from the 1970s although we have been in different cities, and now states, since 1976. I have friends I've known since 2nd and 4th grade. Most of my college friends have disappeared. I pretty much separated from my later career coworkers maybe because I was the director and we had a cordial but not chummy friendship relationship.

I've had a few school and college friends surface on the internet just to touch base and trade stories and reports on others (counting noses) and then disappear. I did not go to my 50th high school reunion. I keep in touch with several friends from my former town. I send out about 35 Christmas cards with a short note in each one and I get quite a few in return. I have a very small family so friends might fill in where a larger family might otherwise.

Old Yesterday, 02:41 AM

4,854 posts, read 1,879,956 times
So far, I have a list of 28 people on Wikipedia, with whom I was on a first name basis, most of them personal guests in their home or mine, not counting casual meetings. One dating back to age 12. No, I wasn't really that important. Maybe half would remember me.

Old Yesterday, 03:58 AM

5,862 posts, read 4,294,722 times
I've had friends drift away through the years. I've found some of them on Facebook.

We have lightly shared in private messages what has gone on in our lives with work, relationships, children and grandchildren.

There is only one of them who I would like to meet again in person just to talk face to face (the boy next door to me when I was young). I'm happily married and not looking to connect up for anything other than curiosity. We wrote back and forth and told each other about ourselves, and then gradually just stopped writing. That's okay with me.

There is also one girl from my youth that I and another mutual friend would like to find, but haven't had any luck in doing so.

I have no interest in connecting back up with any of the others.

Old Yesterday, 06:37 AM

1,468 posts, read 1,149,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I wouldn't seek them out.

I think people are pretty much fungible.
That's very sad that you feel that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or