U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 10:08 AM

20,365 posts, read 19,349,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I'm commenting here because you say your grandparents lived in a village in the north of England. My father was born somewhere over there. I never got a straight answer out of anyone about it, he sometimes said near Sherwood Forest, but I'm sure that's a story he decided to tell me. But pretty sure his father worked in a quarry where he died (accident?) and when that happened, Dad was 12 and had to go to work at a lace factory. His mother gave him a schilling (sp?) for the trolly to get to work but had to walk a distance to get home. Wish I knew more, but from hearing about it, not any ancestor site. Last name was Smith.
Track them down! You could try Ancestry.com and look for a birth record. But to stay on topic, I met a lot of people that way, people who still lived in or near that same village. They helped me find out more about my family when I went over there. And now my facebook has the news from the village's website. The friends I met are now "old friends" because I met them twenty years ago when I first went back. (Yours probably came from the north of England like mine, working in mines and quarries and mills--hard lives.)

Old 09-14-2019, 12:03 PM

4,885 posts, read 3,300,858 times
Since getting on line, I have reconnected with some people from my past-some really good friends that I lost contact with, others were only acquaintances at the time but are now becoming friends. Unfortunately, I have discovered that my childhood best friend, who I wanted to reconnect with, has passed away. I also found out that another dear friend who I lost contact with also passed away -but I am now Facebook friends with his son. (He remembered me when I was friends with his dad.) Some other friends I haven't been able to locate yet. There are other people who I DON'T want to reconnect with.

Cat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2019, 01:12 PM

3,904 posts, read 1,703,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Its not hard to find them now with the internet
Yeah, but unless you join FB (which I refuse) you can't see any pictures of them!

As for women, when I googled myself, it was alarming to see ALL my former names showed up. Yikes.

Old 09-14-2019, 01:19 PM

3,904 posts, read 1,703,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
So far, I have a list of 28 people on Wikipedia, with whom I was on a first name basis, most of them personal guests in their home or mine, not counting casual meetings. One dating back to age 12. No, I wasn't really that important. Maybe half would remember me.
You have friends on Wikipedia? I'm impressed!

IMO, if you have a Wiki page, you have "arrived", LOL.

Old 09-14-2019, 01:46 PM
mlb

3,339 posts, read 2,946,171 times
I’ve looked for former co-workers and bosses... The bosses were much older than I so it was no surprise to see their obituaries.... but I was shocked to see some of my coworkers - in a number of jobs throughout my career - were dead. And died young from illness.

I have connected with one or two high school friends on FB - and we keep it light and fun. I have searched for people - just off the top of my head - even tho I would never “re” friend them.... I just am snoopy enough to want to find out what happened to them.

There are some who I’d like to give them a piece of my mind.... but I will refrain from wasting my energies on them.

My youngest sister is one to peruse the hometown obituary pages and often shares obits of people she thinks we all should know.... she’s funny about that.

Old 09-14-2019, 01:56 PM

5,180 posts, read 3,531,639 times
Iíve tried without success to find several people I served with in the Marines during Vietnam. One particular unit I was in even has a Face Book page but nobody ever turned up that I knew. Just vanished to who knows where. I have connected with several co workers at my old job but never anyone in management as they were all self serving jerks.

Old 09-14-2019, 05:57 PM

37,584 posts, read 46,384,812 times
I have found that work acquaintances fade after awhile, although I still have one from 35 years ago. Two of my girlfriends from high school have died.

Old 09-14-2019, 06:42 PM

7,279 posts, read 4,054,680 times
When I was a teenager and young adult, some of my friends' parents were wiser and more experienced in some aspects of life than mine were. I learned a lot through osmosis just by being in their households on a regular basis. Interestingly, I've had 2 men tell me how much My dad helped them and gave them good advice! I'm old, so all that generation is gone now.

Old 09-14-2019, 07:32 PM

28,447 posts, read 40,347,631 times
No.

Old 09-14-2019, 08:23 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
30,581 posts, read 55,624,307 times
I did some googling to track down some old acquaintances and was dismayed to find so many of them deceased, including several considerably younger than me. One was a kid I worked with in the late 1960s, died in his 40s. Two were business colleagues from the 90s that passed
in their 50s. Better news that my old boss from 1975 to 1989 moved to this area when he retired, and he contacted me via Facebook. We ended up getting together for dinner, he’s doing well at 80.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or