Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2019, 08:21 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times

Advertisements

OP will handle his retirement freedom according to his own temperament, drive, and physical abilities. We may start out wanting to stay busy, but things change as we age. Eventually we reach a point of “been there, done that” and the pursuit of something to do becomes less important.

When I retired earlier than I wanted, I felt like I had suddenly become irrelevant and I didn’t like it. I got a part time job and some volunteer jobs. Eventually, I settled down to a slower pace on my own terms. If I want to sit and knit or read for most of the day, I do so with pleasure.

My husband has had a part time job since retiring, and would be miserable without a job and a bunch of projects going. As time goes on he might need to gear down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2019, 08:24 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
I'm 64 and semi-retired and there are days when I want to do absolutely nothing but stay on C-D half the day, watch old TV shows or take naps. Then there are days like today where I am putting away my summer decorations, washing the throws, etc. and putting up my fall décor or going to gym, watching my granddaughter, etc. I worked since I was 17 at some very stressful jobs. Now I work 6-10 hours a week from home and I love it.

Maybe your dad doesn't want to do anything anymore. Maybe he's depressed? Have you offered to take him anywhere or do something? Does he does nothing because he has no other choice or is he happy in his lifestyle?

Yes, I'm sure watching him doing "nothing" is showing you a glimpse in your own future but it doesn't have to be that way. You do want you want to do when you're 80 and let him do what he wants.

Old 09-14-2019, 08:35 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,417 times
I'm wondering if anyone has considered the relationship between father and son was not a good one? What kind of pressures did Sr. put on Jr.? Was Jr. criticized by Sr. because Jr. didn't live up to Sr.'s expectations.

We are only "seeing" one side to this .... and most of us know life has much more to it than one side.

Old 09-14-2019, 08:43 AM

135 posts, read 89,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
It's his retirement and he can do, or not do, whatever he pleases.
That's exactly right.

Old 09-14-2019, 08:46 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
When my coworkers heard about my retirement the first thing they said was, "So, what will you do???"

My answer was, "I'll retire."

"Yes, but what will you DO???"

The 'must be doing' something all the time people will often criticize those who aren't following their lead; however, I wonder how they'll feel if those of us in the other camp criticized them for not being able to enjoy down time?

I tried that with a friend who is a constant gadabout, any down time for her (even if it's only 10 minutes) makes her want to climb the walls. I am 180. She too often said, "You need to get out more!!!". I asked how she might feel if I said, "You need to stay home more!!!" Her reply was that I would be very rude to make such a comment. She never caught on.

Old 09-14-2019, 08:50 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Maybe we're also discussing two different personality types. Some people are calm and take things at a slow pace and don't need to be doing much to be happy. Other people are hyper and can't sit still for a minute.

Old 09-14-2019, 08:52 AM

135 posts, read 89,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
When my coworkers heard about my retirement the first thing they said was, "So, what will you do???"

My answer was, "I'll retire."
My answer would have been "Whatever the hell I want to do!!"

Old 09-14-2019, 08:59 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I'm wondering if anyone has considered the relationship between father and son was not a good one? What kind of pressures did Sr. put on Jr.? Was Jr. criticized by Sr. because Jr. didn't live up to Sr.'s expectations.

We are only "seeing" one side to this .... and most of us know life has much more to it than one side.
No we aren't considering that, because that would be making up some imaginary scenario out of whole cloth.

Old 09-14-2019, 09:11 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer Guy View Post
My answer would have been "Whatever the hell I want to do!!"
Good answer!

Old 09-14-2019, 09:45 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,110,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
No we aren't considering that, because that would be making up some imaginary scenario out of whole cloth.

So you wouldn't consider all the things that make people do what they do? Very limiting. Even for a "whole cloth."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement