U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 07:02 PM

6,644 posts, read 5,294,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Do you have any idea when that started for her?

When I was a young kid, I hated sitting on the toilet to do #2 because I thought something would come up from the toilet and get me in the butt. Thankfully that fear went away at some point.

If there was abuse that caused that in me, I don't remember it.
Probably since forever. She cannot sit still!

And if you are not doing something also, she will get after you. Main reason i refuse to take on any projects with her

I know other people that are like that. Moving office furniture around for no reason. No plan in place. That was a pain.

It is that mentality that you better be moving and doing something or you are a slacker.

So i purposely just go find a nice place to sit and relax -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 07:19 PM

1,732 posts, read 2,659,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
You have the type of retirement you want and let others have the type of retirement they want. I'm going to be doing a lot of what others are sure to see as nothing, leisurely morning coffee, taking walks, tackling my to be read list, book club, watching TV and movies, sitting on my porch watching the birds, taking naps and the occasionally traveling. After working in a very physical job for 30+ years with a 3 hour a day commute I've earned the right to do whatever I want when I want.

BRAVO! Well said! I was actually thinking of writing an essay on why "boring" to some is heaven to others. I've had plenty of adventures, some which were WAY too "big for my britches!" I LOVE snuggling on the sofa watching documentaries and quality films with my Doberman & Collie. I'm retiring next year and can't wait to do more of it.

This is my last year of teaching (Juvenile Detention). I'll be 63, & as much as I love my "wayward knuckleheads," I look forward to puttering around in the kitchen, reading a LOT, planting a fabulous flower & vegetable garden, & watching the birds at their feeders. CAN'T WAIT!!!

Last edited by soulsurv; 09-17-2019 at 07:28 PM..

Old Yesterday, 01:35 PM

2 posts, read 89 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp61616 View Post
I don't see anything wrong with doing "nothing." After it is all said and done, working is a pain in the ass. Get up, get ready, fight traffic, go to some building, put up with nonsense, drive home, fix dinner, collapse, repeat. After years and years of this, I want to wake up, eat a leisurely breakfast, go for a walk, feed the birds, relax, read a book, and generally screw off. That does not sound like much, but to me it would be a well deserved break from a lifetime of working.

Itís mine. Just add in watching the grandkids.

Old Today, 02:42 PM

138 posts, read 57,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
You have the type of retirement you want and let others have the type of retirement they want. I'm going to be doing a lot of what others are sure to see as nothing, leisurely morning coffee, taking walks, tackling my to be read list, book club, watching TV and movies, sitting on my porch watching the birds, taking naps and the occasionally traveling. After working in a very physical job for 30+ years with a 3 hour a day commute I've earned the right to do whatever I want when I want.

As of today, I've been retired 1 year, and your comment describes my situation perfectly!

As for the OP, well, I'd much prefer to hang with your father than with you. My experience is that people who have to constantly be on the go just to keep busy are tiresome. Not trying to be judgmental - you're welcome to live your life as you please - but definitely not my cup of tea.

Old Today, 03:46 PM

34,914 posts, read 34,049,727 times
I'm rather worried about old age. It seems like every time I turn on the evening news there is some old man or old lady celebrating a birthday and saying the key to living to be 100+ is a having a few drinks a day, smoking cigarettes and/or the occasional cigar and eating something on every finger-wagger's no-no list. I'm doomed! I don't think I ever heard a single one of them say the key to living to be 100+ is power walking, joining a bunch of clubs, golfing, eating tofu or hitting the museums, regularly.

So I wonder, I'm 68, if I start drinking now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or