Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 08:59 AM

474 posts, read 318,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
I fully recognize that I have NO RIGHT TO JUDGE. It's his retirement and he can do, or not do, whatever he pleases. It just kills me to see someone -- anyone -- wasting precious time.
I think it's impossible to predict what you'll be doing, how you'll feel, or what your interests will be when you're 80. You should print out your post and put it in your wallet...take it back out when you're 80.

Bottom line, it's his time to do with as he wants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2019, 09:00 AM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Dude or dudette - you are probably one of those people that are always on the go now - so you won't change.

Don't worry about it.
Oh, they might very certainly change when they are 80 and not feeling up to snuff anymore. No one feels as good or has nearly the energy at 80 as they did 20 years earlier.

Old 09-13-2019, 09:07 AM

130 posts, read 74,777 times
Well i just cut my toe nails,now i'm going to watch my neighbor cut his grass,then i'll probably
take a nap. Retirement living can be exhausting

Old 09-13-2019, 09:15 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,636,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
maybe he is enjoying precious time.
Ditto that. If he enjoys just piddling, then it is absolutely not time wasted. I’m probably similar; I worked hard, full time since I left school, and I’m doing exactly what I want now that I’m retired, reading, playing with the cats, puttering around or nothing at all. I earned it. I don’t need to accomplish anything more or prove myself to anyone any more at this point.

Old 09-13-2019, 09:26 AM

705 posts, read 561,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
maybe he is enjoying precious time.

Old 09-13-2019, 09:27 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
He may not feel physically or perhaps mentally able to do much more.

He may be winding down, and perhaps he feels just like you do but simply can't do anything about it.

You could ask him if he has any unfulfilled dreams that you can help him accomplish on a small scale.

Old 09-13-2019, 09:30 AM

1,142 posts, read 578,482 times
sorry but sitting around all day doing nothing isn't good for anyone, no matter how old they are.

Old 09-13-2019, 09:37 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
Quote:
Apologies in advance to those of you who like to spend every day piddling around and doing nothing but watch the grass grow, but I think I'd rather eat my gun than to live a life without some kind of goal or purpose and *something* to strive for and/or get done every day.

My 80yo dad just watches the hours pass on the clock, book-ending his days with morning coffee and evening supper, with not much to show for the entire day in between. On occasion, he'll get fired up to do something in his workshop, but other than that, nada.

I fully recognize that I have NO RIGHT TO JUDGE. It's his retirement and he can do, or not do, whatever he pleases. It just kills me to see someone -- anyone -- wasting precious time.
Where are you on the “Birth to Death” timeline? Your dad knows where he is.

7,899 posts, read 7,108,628 times
OP, you seem to have gotten more criticism than agreement. While I do agree everyone has a right to decide on their lifestyle, I understand the concern. As we get older and older it can be more difficult to have the drive to accomplish anything. Many old people just seem like they were waiting to die. I agree I do not want to end up that way. Even worse are years of semi-vegetative living and senility spend in a nursing home. Maybe the biological imperative will take over, but I have plans not to end that way.

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Quote:

I fully recognize that I have NO RIGHT TO JUDGE. It's his retirement and he can do, or not do, whatever he pleases. .

You got that right.

Quote:

It just kills me to see someone -- anyone -- wasting precious time.

Maybe he sees it differently. Maybe he enjoys just chilling out after a lifetime of work and raising you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement