U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 06:29 PM

7,440 posts, read 15,544,382 times

Advertisements

Nothing that wouldn't make my 18-yr-old self roll my eyes and ignore it.

It would have been good to know that my mother only had a few years left to live, though.....
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2019, 07:03 PM

2,030 posts, read 5,047,100 times
"Always be able to support yourself"~that was my Mother's advice to me at 18.

What I would say to 18 year old self~ 1. "Don't write it, Facebook it, snap it, Twitter it or Instagram it....if you wouldn't share it with your grandparent or employer, just don't. 2. Don't get married until you can completely support yourself. 3. Do not let another person or incident define you. You are responsible for your choices and their consequences.

Old 09-14-2019, 07:28 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
23,047 posts, read 40,592,792 times
Normally... for age 18... life will not get much 'better' than post HS / college years.

Enjoy it while you can! Reality is coming (soon).

This I am so surprised.... Crisis on Campus: the Untold Story of Student Suicides
Crisis on Campus: the Untold Story of Student Suicides - College Degree Search
https://www.apa.org/monitor/2017/09/numbers

I would say... we (parents) have really failed at connecting with our kids.
Expectations too high? Don't think so. Rate was 1/3rd 40 yrs ago when you KNEW you were on your own at age 18. No 'boomerang kids' at that time. (coming back home at age 25, so they could use their college degree (paid by parents) to work Fast-Food)

Broken society,
SAD.

Old 09-14-2019, 07:30 PM

28,408 posts, read 40,290,572 times
Take classes to understand finance.

Invest in those things you considered - then didn't.

Buy that 325 acres of farmland while prices are depressed.

Old 09-14-2019, 07:49 PM

4,811 posts, read 3,811,065 times
You're probably going to live a lot longer than you think you will. Take care of yourself, and save money for retirement even though it seems like it's a long way off - you'll be glad you did. And when a future company named Apple seems to be on the ropes, buy lots of Apple stock while it's low.

And like all 18 year olds, my young self would roll his eyes and say, "Suure, future old man. I'll get right on it."

Old 09-14-2019, 08:47 PM

96 posts, read 56,889 times
Enjoy your teen years with friends, you have your entire life to start, run, and manage your successful businesses. Stop always worrying about money as it'll always come around when you truly need it. You'll be fine and make it. No matter what, don't let anyone tell you differently. Always stick to what you enjoy and have passions for because through your interests you will find a way to succeed. Don't listen to what negative people have to say about your goals and dreams, stick strong to your roots. Always maintain all your valuable friendships. Just live life and enjoy, be worry free. Forget about the money and trying to compete in a world that is always trying to outdo one another.

Old 09-14-2019, 08:55 PM

10,849 posts, read 8,196,952 times
It gets worse before it gets better.
And then it gets worse & then it gets better over and over again. As that happens, you'll learn how to deal with it. Just chill.

Old 09-14-2019, 09:04 PM

756 posts, read 282,899 times
When I was 17, 18 years old, I said to myself: "Go to college, get good education and knowledge. Get a good job first. Don't spread your legs easily and have so many children without thinking when you cannot support yourself and provide a reasonably good life for your children when they are little and young." And I did exactly what I told myself. Life's good for us in general.

I hated to see pregnant teenagers, or any young girls (even 20 something), and then unwanted babies afterwards going to shelters waiting for somebody coming to adopt them. I would loathe myself if I let my brain not in my head but down below.

Now I have two sons, I told them not to make any girls pregnant and run away when they are not ready to be a father yet, or let the girls chasing after them for child support or to make them feel guilty and to live with them when they [my sons] don't want to.

Old 09-14-2019, 09:10 PM

2,251 posts, read 4,254,044 times
"You have depression and anxiety, so seek treatment now and don't wait another 10 years."

Old 09-14-2019, 09:22 PM

1,674 posts, read 689,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Nothing that wouldn't make my 18-yr-old self roll my eyes and ignore it.
Great point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or