Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 08:26 AM

1,142 posts, read 577,991 times

Advertisements

The Bible is the Truth
Have one more child so the only child isn't alone later in life
Don't worry so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 06:03 AM

302 posts, read 182,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Get a goverment job, thats the ultimate gravy train.
That's what I was going to suggest.

Old 09-17-2019, 06:27 AM

7,319 posts, read 6,914,290 times
The most important thing in my life was developing a strong relationship with God through Jesus Christ and having the Holy Spirit be my teacher.
The best of man's concept of things has a very limited view of what is ahead, God's perspective is far superior. Not only does God know the future, one that desperately seeks after His influence the future is prepared. My life is testament to His love for those that love Him.
People come into this world with out their choosing and leave usually with out their choosing but what we do with this life for as long or as short as it is matters on an eternal scale.
Knowing this life is a test makes it easier, Having God's interference/intervention is almost an unfair advantage when you comprehend how God judges the success of a man.

Old 09-17-2019, 09:31 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,123,674 times
Take college as a job. Work it as an 8-5 and then party in the evening if you want to.

Go to class, go to the library between classes, study notes from class, do homework, work on term papers. When 5:00 comes by go to dinner. Do this and you only have to spend extra time during the mid term or final exam period, and you will get straight A’s. No one will see you except in class or at 1/2 hour lunch or breakfast, because you will be treating college as if you didn’t go, but actually went to work.

If you do this, you will get a super job after college, or you will be able to get into any grad school you want with a free ride. This little hint will save you a lot of grief later.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:33 AM

1,142 posts, read 577,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
The most important thing in my life was developing a strong relationship with God through Jesus Christ and having the Holy Spirit be my teacher.
The best of man's concept of things has a very limited view of what is ahead, God's perspective is far superior. Not only does God know the future, one that desperately seeks after His influence the future is prepared. My life is testament to His love for those that love Him.
People come into this world with out their choosing and leave usually with out their choosing but what we do with this life for as long or as short as it is matters on an eternal scale.
Knowing this life is a test makes it easier, Having God's interference/intervention is almost an unfair advantage when you comprehend how God judges the success of a man.
+ a million!!

Old 09-17-2019, 10:55 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,087,132 times
Fasten your seat belt & keep your hands inside the ride, at all times.

When your priority is to finish with no regrets; you will inevitably make regrettable decisions.

Yes; you are mortal, yes; you too will age, yes; you will develop addictions & yes; many things are bigger than you.

In two years, when a strange little man knows your name & hands you a business card that simply says 'The Wizard' with a phone number on it & tells you to call because 'the evil in this world has been waiting for you, just like we have & will find you, just like we did & you can't face it on your own' ...

Just call the freaking number already! It couldn't possibly get any weirder than what it already was & for the rest of your life you will wonder how he knew your name, knew you would randomly pull up in that convenience store parking lot, on that day & why was he actually not wrong?

(very odd occurrence that happened when I was 20)

Old 09-17-2019, 11:14 AM

3,261 posts, read 4,993,844 times
Oh, I have plenty to say to 18-year-old me, but she wouldn't listen to anyone then, and she sure wouldn't listen to me now. Some people just have to learn through making mistakes, and my life has been one long learning experience.

Old 09-17-2019, 12:19 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,859,297 times
If someone grabs your butt, kick them in the ####.

Old 09-17-2019, 12:21 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,443,363 times
What would you say to an 18 year old you?

Kid, you worry too much. You'll be alright. You paid attention in school and got good grades up to this point. You did okay on the SATs. You were accepted to a number of colleges, and if that's what you want to do next, you know you can do it. Mom and Dad have had your back every day of your life, and they're not about to stop now.

But let me tell you something right now. And it's not gonna come as news to you - you already know it.

You ain't perfect, kid. Not close. And you know it. Life's been easy up to now. But it's gonna get tough, starting with choosing the right college. Me? No way, Jose. This is up to you. Wouldn't be a bad idea to check with Mom and Dad, though. Unless your luck gets even better, I don't see scholarship money coming your way, and that means the Bank of Mom and Dad, and maybe a part-time job for you, bub.

What's that? No. I already told you - it's up to you.

But if it's any consolation, I have faith in you. I think you're going to make a great choice of college, you're going to learn things that are not part of the curriculum, and you're going to come away from it with a solid foundation on which to build a good life for yourself.

Eh? Ah, no. Not a professional baseball player - sorry.

But really, don't worry. Take it from your older self - you'll have a good life.

Old 09-17-2019, 12:27 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,446,828 times
Run, don’t walk, out of this one-horse town.

You are better than them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement