U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 06:07 PM

57,448 posts, read 55,656,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
Well that would happen...what...pretty much every day, right?

Latest ones have been claiming to be the local police charity of some kind.
That's been a thing here for years. One time I picked up one of the calls and said Hello, but the scammer didn't realize I'd answered. I could hear him talking back and forth in ghetto-ese to others in the background, and then when I said Hello again, the same voice switched to this polite-sounding man who said he was from the county police..." I just laughed and hung up.

Sometimes I use my S.O.'s line and say, "Does your mother know you make money lying to people?"

Old 09-14-2019, 06:09 PM

57,448 posts, read 55,656,421 times
We also have one that started last year. The person says, "Hello, is John there?" Then when you say you have the wrong number, they ask if you are the homeowner and they launch into their schtick.

Now, if I hear "Hello is John there?" I just say some version of GFY and hang up

Old 09-14-2019, 06:26 PM

8,888 posts, read 11,052,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
1. Was I aware my extended car warranty (that I never had) expired and if I hurry, it is still renewable.

2. My credit card has had suspicious activity.

3. My college debt (that I never had) is about to be turned over for collection.

4. Going to jail for missing jury duty.

5. The best one was the sheriffs dept two counties over asking if I wanted to "donate again this year, for their fundraiser". I never donated any money to them. THAT was a real female scammer calling. I told her to "fly a kite but in different words, then I called that sheriffs dept to let them know their name was being used.

With many/most (?) of these Police Benevolent scans, ambiguous police organizations get only the barest minimum possible - for the group to still label itself a 'Police Benevolent Association.' I've spoken with police representatives about this and they flat-out don't endorse or approve of them .... and/or resent attempts to influence a ticket decisions by plastering PBA stickers on car windows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2019, 07:24 PM

4,256 posts, read 1,703,173 times
"What phone scams have you received lately?"

1. AT&T calling about anything.
2. the real Wells Fargo.
3. Planned Parenthood.

Old 09-15-2019, 05:04 AM

6,384 posts, read 7,932,591 times
Have you heard of the "Grandma" scam? I had a call a couple of months ago, expecting a call from my son and answered the phone without checking the caller ID.

Young-sounding man said, "Grandma? I need your help."
Me: Who is this?
YSM: Your grandson.
Me: Which one?
YSM: The handsome one. (laughs)
Me: (deciding to play) Well, what do you need, Davey?
YSM: Well, I had a little car accident and the police came and now I'm at the police station.
My nose is broken and I have a cut over my eye and they won't let me see a doctor.
Me: Oh, Davey, your beautiful face! What can I do, honey?
YSM: Can you talk to my lawyer? He'll tell you where to wire the money for my bail and get
me out of here.
Me: Oh of course.
YSM: Let me get his number for you.
Me: While I wait, I'll just hang up.
Story over.

About a week or so later, I get another call. When I answered, a young-sounding man said, "Hello Grandmother."

No, not the same YSM. This new one spoke with a very thick Indian accent. Since I have no one in my family from India, I started to laugh and said, "You have the wrong number". I continued to laugh so hard I peed myself.

Old 09-15-2019, 05:58 AM

2,625 posts, read 1,168,015 times
I think the Indian scammers really don't realize they have an accent.

Probably the most dangerous scam in terms of potential money loss is the "refund" scam. They claim to be a tech support company that is shutting down, so they want to refund the money you paid (you didn't pay any). So they connect to your PC (don't let them do that) and have you log in to your bank where they will "send the money" (REALLY don't let them do that). They hide the screen, inspect element, and do a combination of transferring money between your accounts and editing HTML to make it look like they gave you too much money (like $3000 instead of $300). Then they want you to send the extra back (which was never in your bank account to start with) . Of course it has to be gift cards, bundles of cash sent via package service, or wire transfer to another bank account. I have heard video of some of these scams, they get really aggressive and frightening when bullying people to send money.

Old 09-15-2019, 06:44 AM

11,015 posts, read 21,647,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Ok... they are not funny if you fall for them. But if you know about it, then they can be humorous and you can even play along.

Which ones have you received by phone lately?

1. I’ve received the fake IRS one at least three times. It can be pretty scary, especially when you call back you you for get that now they instantly know your name and where you live. I’ve been waiting 2 years for them to send the cops and arrest me.

2. The new social security one where my social security number has been named to be invalid. I should be so lucky and then I will not be able to pay any more income tax. They’ve gotten scarier lately, and i have to keep reminding myself that SS doesn't call, that if they did they would know my name and my SS number.

3. The one where I get a refund from a lawsuit and all I have to do is give them my credit card number and SS number.

4. The card services people that claim to be from your credit card, except that if they were the would call themselves Card Service(no “s” on the end).

What phone scams have you received lately?
My house phone rings all the time. I can hear the fax machine going off. We don't have a working handset for the line; they all died at the same time; just haven't replaced them yet because no one calls us on the house number. We mostly have it so we can send faxes, plus it's free from Comcast. I love seeing unknown callers flash on the TV, then the fax machine goes off in the ear and they hang up; but they call back to get more..

Have to say I'm very proud of my daughter for stopping local scammers. About 8 months ago she was between jobs when someone she knew told her to come work with them calling people about time shares. She really needed money to buy my grand kids Christmas gifts so she said ok.

On the 2nd day she realized they were taking older people's money. She ended up googling them to learn whatever she could about the company and to see if people were getting scammed, they were. I wish I could remember specifics; the company was going to buy out their time share or something like that. In order for them to do this time share buy out, they had to give the company about $3,000; the company never got back to the person to actually help them. The employee that called them would get a bonus at the end of the night when that $3,000 cleared. She went to our police station to see if they could do something about it but hadn't heard anything else until last week when she got a call saying the FBI (I think) finally shut them down.

Last edited by Roselvr; 09-15-2019 at 06:57 AM..

Old 09-15-2019, 08:23 AM

6,045 posts, read 5,435,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
My house phone rings all the time. I can hear the fax machine going off. We don't have a working handset for the line; they all died at the same time; just haven't replaced them yet because no one calls us on the house number. We mostly have it so we can send faxes, plus it's free from Comcast. I love seeing unknown callers flash on the TV, then the fax machine goes off in the ear and they hang up; but they call back to get more..

Have to say I'm very proud of my daughter for stopping local scammers. About 8 months ago she was between jobs when someone she knew told her to come work with them calling people about time shares. She really needed money to buy my grand kids Christmas gifts so she said ok.

On the 2nd day she realized they were taking older people's money. She ended up googling them to learn whatever she could about the company and to see if people were getting scammed, they were. I wish I could remember specifics; the company was going to buy out their time share or something like that. In order for them to do this time share buy out, they had to give the company about $3,000; the company never got back to the person to actually help them. The employee that called them would get a bonus at the end of the night when that $3,000 cleared. She went to our police station to see if they could do something about it but hadn't heard anything else until last week when she got a call saying the FBI (I think) finally shut them down.
She should have known that any place that you call people is a scam. A business has people call them.

Old 09-15-2019, 08:28 AM

2,746 posts, read 734,207 times
I get a lot of robocalls in Chinese.

No, I don't speak Chinese.

Old 09-15-2019, 09:13 AM

12,065 posts, read 20,622,838 times
I get a lot of those robo Social Security number suspended calls, and they leave voicemails. I block the numbers, which means I’m no longer bothered, but, it sends the call straight to voicemail, where they leave a message, that I’m not notified about.

I found out by cleaning out old phone messages, that scam calls back multiple times. One day, after blocking, they called every half hour for 4 hours. Two days later, got the call from another number, blocked it. They called every hour for three hours after.

I don’t know the number, I don’t pick up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement