U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2019, 09:34 AM

8,776 posts, read 9,872,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I get a lot of those robo Social Security number suspended calls, and they leave voicemails. I block the numbers, which means Iím no longer bothered, but, it sends the call straight to voicemail, where they leave a message, that Iím not notified about.

I found out by cleaning out old phone messages, that scam calls back multiple times. One day, after blocking, they called every half hour for 4 hours. Two days later, got the call from another number, blocked it. They called every hour for three hours after.

I donít know the number, I donít pick up.

Most of the numbers I get I block and it goes on all day. If it's a number with a state listed I know it's a telemarketer or some such. They come from all over the country. Usually someone wanting to sell me some kind of insurance, car warranty, charity donation or something. I don't pickup and immediately block that number. That almost backfired on me the other day though. For some reason I got a call from someone on my contact list but the number had our state rather than a name. After the third call in a couple of minutes I did answer and then felt bad for getting mad. lol My friend understood.

I've never had any calls from fake SS or IRS people.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 09:53 AM

3,810 posts, read 2,921,813 times
Many years ago I was at my aunts house arranging a funeral. They called to talk to her. I said that she had died and so she could obviously not deal with that. Without skipping a beat they switched the scam call to, “Well how about you then?”

I thought that was so funny.

The fake IRS called me about 3 years ago after tax time, and left a message on voice mail. I rented my house before I moved in and there was someone who had used my phone number in their references to buy things and then skipped out so that many collection agencies were calling. So I called them back because I figured it was about the skipper. Of course as soon as I called them, their computers immediately had my name and address. And so I said that they were probably calling about Virginia Wood, but they said no it was me, and wasn’t my name ----, didn’t I live at -----. Not remembering that when I called them that data would show up immediately, I started to argue with them. The lady said, in a very cultured english accent, that if I yelled at her she would hang up and then the police would come to my house within 30 minutes and take me away to jail. At that point I was 95% sure I was being scammed, so I said, “Alright, I’ll be waiting on my front porch for their arrival.”

I did go to the IRS website, and I found the exact script they were using.

The next year they called back again. This time I said, “Aren’t you the people who said the cops were coming to arrest me in 30 minutes? Well, I’ve been waiting off and on on my porch for a year, and they never came.” CLICK. They never called back.

I’ve gotten into real conversations with the fake Microsoft guys. But I discovered they will hang up right away if I say, “Oh thank God, I have so much wrong with my computer and I’m so glad you called.”

Scam calls can be so much fun as long as you just string them along.

Old 09-15-2019, 10:44 AM

245 posts, read 128,232 times
"Your SSN number has been suspended" - sadly these guys sounded pretty legit and i bet people fall for it.

Old 09-15-2019, 10:44 AM

11,127 posts, read 21,724,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
She should have known that any place that you call people is a scam. A business has people call them.
It was a legit business. She saw via her google search that the company actually did help some people. I guess that was in the beginning, they then decided to do scam work; so my daughter saw good reviews from when they did help and bad reviews that they were scamming.

Old 09-15-2019, 02:09 PM

5,567 posts, read 3,216,046 times
We screen all calls. If we do not see the name of someone we know on the caller ID, we do not answer.

Old 09-15-2019, 04:34 PM

12,109 posts, read 20,679,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peta2013 View Post
"Your SSN number has been suspended" - sadly these guys sounded pretty legit and i bet people fall for it.
The thing is that Iím never getting a person, they are all robo calls, with computer generated voices, bad grammar and terrible sentence structure, which makes me think these calls arenít originating from the USA.

Old 09-15-2019, 05:14 PM

7,382 posts, read 12,970,834 times
I'm astonished that so many of you answer calls from numbers you don't recognize!

My default ringtone is SILENT. Friends and family members have their own ringtones so I never miss THEIR calls (unless I want to!). So now I am literally NEVER bothered with calls from people/companies that I don't want to hear from.

I occasionally miss a call from an acquaintance or student who isn't yet in my contact list, but if it's legitimate, they leave a voicemail and I call them back.

I haven't answered unknown calls for literally years, probably decades. (I understand that parents of young kids probably can't do this in case their kid calls from someone else's phone, but retired people probably can. )

Old 09-15-2019, 05:47 PM

5,467 posts, read 2,493,917 times
I got the 'your SS # is being held for fraudulent activity' by a guy with a foreign accent, lol.

Keep a hold of it then & reap all those benefits of being me. Serves you right.

Old 09-15-2019, 05:55 PM

5,467 posts, read 2,493,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I'm astonished that so many of you answer calls from numbers you don't recognize!

My default ringtone is SILENT. Friends and family members have their own ringtones so I never miss THEIR calls (unless I want to!). So now I am literally NEVER bothered with calls from people/companies that I don't want to hear from.

I occasionally miss a call from an acquaintance or student who isn't yet in my contact list, but if it's legitimate, they leave a voicemail and I call them back.

I haven't answered unknown calls for literally years, probably decades. (I understand that parents of young kids probably can't do this in case their kid calls from someone else's phone, but retired people probably can. )
I answered the SS# one because I had just moved one daughter into her dorm at college & two nights later, I got a call from the RA that they had to take her to the emergency room because she had passed out with heatstroke after marching band practice!

So, for now, I have to answer everything.

Luckily, my cousin lives in that same town & was able to go to the rescue. I didn't feel so bad after she told me she got a similar call from the dorm at that same university because her daughter had a 'beerstroke'.

Old 09-15-2019, 06:29 PM

4,863 posts, read 3,841,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
We screen all calls. If we do not see the name of someone we know on the caller ID, we do not answer.
You and me both. I use an app on my phone called Hiya, and I follow up on unknown numbers online, blocking any that are known spammers/scammers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement