U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 08:42 PM

12,113 posts, read 20,696,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I'm astonished that so many of you answer calls from numbers you don't recognize!

My default ringtone is SILENT. Friends and family members have their own ringtones so I never miss THEIR calls (unless I want to!). So now I am literally NEVER bothered with calls from people/companies that I don't want to hear from.

I occasionally miss a call from an acquaintance or student who isn't yet in my contact list, but if it's legitimate, they leave a voicemail and I call them back.

I haven't answered unknown calls for literally years, probably decades. (I understand that parents of young kids probably can't do this in case their kid calls from someone else's phone, but retired people probably can. )
I donít. However the Social Security scam one is leaving voicemails, which is how I block them. And, as I said before, even though itís blocked all that means to my phone is it goes straight to voicemail, and when they leave a voicemail I donít get notified of the voicemail. Itís only when I go to clean out the box, which I do on a regular basis, that I find them.

I recently unplugged my home phone because I am getting 7 to 8 phone calls today that are hangups because I donít pick that up either so Iím pretty sure I could cancel that be OK.

Old 09-16-2019, 06:30 PM

12,113 posts, read 20,696,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I'm astonished that so many of you answer calls from numbers you don't recognize!

My default ringtone is SILENT. Friends and family members have their own ringtones so I never miss THEIR calls (unless I want to!). So now I am literally NEVER bothered with calls from people/companies that I don't want to hear from.

I occasionally miss a call from an acquaintance or student who isn't yet in my contact list, but if it's legitimate, they leave a voicemail and I call them back.

I haven't answered unknown calls for literally years, probably decades. (I understand that parents of young kids probably can't do this in case their kid calls from someone else's phone, but retired people probably can. )
How do you do that! Iíve had three spam calls today, and Iíd love to know how to not even know itís ringing!

Old 09-17-2019, 09:05 AM

3,817 posts, read 2,928,069 times
I wasn’t looking for people who respond that they block calls.. People who block all the calls don’t know about the funny scams cause they never hear them.

I was looking for people to respond with the funny scams that they answered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 09:42 AM

4,876 posts, read 3,848,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
I wasnít looking for people who respond that they block calls.. People who block all the calls donít know about the funny scams cause they never hear them.

I was looking for people to respond with the funny scams that they answered.
I suspect many here like me are not amused by calls that attempt to frighten or fool naive people and retirees on fixed income into opening their bank accounts to criminals. Behavior that ruins lives is not funny.

Old 09-17-2019, 11:11 AM

5,347 posts, read 2,612,099 times
I've had automated calls once a week for a month telling me that my microsoft service has expired and I must urgently pay $499 now.

I get too many calls asking for the home owner, to which I respond that the homeowner does not live here. I also answer questionable caller ID numbers in a foreign language and feign that I don't understand them ... for my entertainment.

Old 09-17-2019, 12:54 PM

2,524 posts, read 1,290,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I think the Indian scammers really don't realize they have an accent.

And they always say their name is John or something else that sounds American, cause that'll totally fool us into thinking they're calling from inside the US, not from India.

Old 09-17-2019, 01:05 PM

2,673 posts, read 5,438,864 times
The cancelled-SSN-we-will-arrest-you-in-48-hours is active again. Three calls so far today.

Come and get me, copper!

Old 09-17-2019, 01:34 PM

9,387 posts, read 8,113,024 times
I did almost fell for one. Phone rings. I answer. He says Papa I am in trouble and need help. The Papa caught me off guard as that is what one of my grandkids calls me. I said "Jimmy" what is it? He rambled on about being in jail and needing bail. Then the light went off over my head. I asked: what is your Mother's name. He hung up.

I have been known to be in the right mood..maybe half in the bag...and play with them. One of my favorites is......I am from MicroSoft and your computer has a virus about to destroy all your data. I let them lead me to config and when they ask what it says..I play around with them...then I finally say is says....go f yourself...they ask me to repeat.....I do...they hang up....LOL

Old 09-17-2019, 03:27 PM

3,817 posts, read 2,928,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
I suspect many here like me are not amused by calls that attempt to frighten or fool naive people and retirees on fixed income into opening their bank accounts to criminals. Behavior that ruins lives is not funny.
You can choose to be afraid, be very afraid of everything. Or....you can play along with these scammers, knowing that you taking up their time in this way means that they are not spending their time scamming some unsuspecting person.

MAKE IT PART OF YOUR PUBLIC SERVICE.

Old 09-17-2019, 04:11 PM

4,876 posts, read 3,848,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
You can choose to be afraid, be very afraid of everything. Or....you can play along with these scammers, knowing that you taking up their time in this way means that they are not spending their time scamming some unsuspecting person.

MAKE IT PART OF YOUR PUBLIC SERVICE.
At my age, I have better uses for my limited time on this planet than scamming the scammers. I'll leave that to the younger folks. I've been on the internet since grad school in the early 1980s, so I've experienced trolls, scammers, and spammers for more than 35 years and personally know how to deal with them. However, the concern everyone should have is for older people whose cognitive skills are slipping, and who don't "choose" to be afraid - and they're prime targets for these disgusting sociopaths. That includes relatives of people reading this thread who are not as sharp as they used to be. Though I do appreciate the efforts of scambaiters like 419eater.

https://www.419eater.com/html/trophy_room.htm

Last edited by Vasily; 09-17-2019 at 04:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement