U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 05:33 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,654,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I have been known to be in the right mood..maybe half in the bag...and play with them. One of my favorites is......I am from MicroSoft and your computer has a virus about to destroy all your data. I let them lead me to config and when they ask what it says..I play around with them...then I finally say is says....go f yourself...they ask me to repeat.....I do...they hang up....LOL
I think I had the equivalent of this one today. Our landline rang, which is mostly junk, but caller ID said Verizon so I answered it since we have Verizon wireless for our cell phones and used to have it for the landline. They started off with saying this is Verizon Comcast and they had detected that our internet speed was very slow and not high like we were paying for so they wanted me to check the router. I figured it was a scam so I questioned them then said I would check my internet on my own and call back to Verizon if I needed to and hung up. THEN.... I remembered that we don’t even have Verizon internet! Wished I had remembered that when I was on the call with the guy. I have no idea what they were leading up to but didn’t hang around to find out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 07:29 AM

11,147 posts, read 21,746,029 times
A few days ago my cell phone number popped up as calling me. I picked it up because I was curious what it was going to be using my own number. It said dear Verizon wireless customer, your account has been suspended. Then it gave me the option to push 1 for something and 2 for a rep. Some how it got disconnected. I don't know if I did it or if their system hung up on me. I hope it calls back.

Old 09-21-2019, 09:49 AM

3,817 posts, read 2,928,069 times
I had one from the fake Microsoft people. Is got a real person. I told them that they were a scam. The guy was indignant. He asked me how I could know that he was a scam.

I said, “Its easy to tell. The number you are calling from is my wife’s cell phone number. I really don’t think considering her knowledge of computers that she is working part time for Microsoft.” CLICK.

Old 09-21-2019, 10:01 AM

1,860 posts, read 2,654,407 times
Had the typical “this is your final notice on your car warranty, act now or we take you off the list” so I said yes to talking to a real person, who immediately came online. She wanted me to tell her the make and model of my car. I said if you are calling me then you should know it. I just wanted to tell them to take me off the list, then hung up. Afterwards, I wondered what they would have done if I had given them something bogus like, “it’s my 1964 Mustang, do you mean the warranty is really expiring?”

Old 09-23-2019, 09:36 AM

2,587 posts, read 3,785,876 times
I repeatedly get the Car Warranty calls. Our newest car is a 2008 model, 12 years old, which I purchased used! No warranty remaining on any of our cars.

Old 09-23-2019, 11:35 AM

3,817 posts, read 2,928,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
. It said dear Verizon wireless customer, your account has been suspended.
Clearly they suspended your account and gave the number to someone else.

Old 09-25-2019, 09:15 AM

11,147 posts, read 21,746,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
clearly they suspended your account and gave the number to someone else.
lol

Old 09-30-2019, 07:35 PM

269 posts, read 136,407 times
I almost fell for one. I signed up for SS and an hour later I got the call. Coinkydink, but they caught me offguard. I have them the last 4 digits and my name. I figured out it was a scam, and I hung up. The guy called me back to say we were disconnected. I hung up again.

A month later, though, the real SS called me to verify my online application. It starts the same way! But the difference was the voice. This time it was a slow-talking Southern black woman. We quickly got into details only SS would know.

Still I kept watching my account.

Old 10-01-2019, 10:41 AM

2,531 posts, read 2,363,928 times
I've been waiting for three years now, for the US Marshal to come over and arrest me cause I refused to send someone 3K to remove the arrest warrant. I was really looking for a discussion at my front door.
But now I have a call blocker on my cell phone and I no longer have these fun conversations.

Old 10-03-2019, 06:09 AM

6,250 posts, read 15,581,371 times
A robotic voice greeted me yesterday. "Your Social Security number has been suspended. Press 1 if you want to correct this." Seriously? They have to do better than that to get my attention!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement