U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 06:51 AM

6,590 posts, read 4,957,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
I suspect many here like me are not amused by calls that attempt to frighten or fool naive people and retirees on fixed income into opening their bank accounts to criminals. Behavior that ruins lives is not funny.
I guess this thread is supposed to be humorous. Sadly these robocalls bilk billions from people and the nuisance of them is really bad. Many of us no longer answer any phone calls, ever, unless we can identify and we know the caller.

Of course there is supposed to be a Do Not Call registry with huge fines for those who violate the law. Sadly this is another reflection on the incompetence of our government. Billions and billions of robocalls are being made illegally and the government has again proven themselves worthless. We have politicians calling for more and more government involvement in every aspect of our lives. Unfortunately government can't seem to do anything right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2019, 02:37 PM

980 posts, read 1,330,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I guess this thread is supposed to be humorous. Sadly these robocalls bilk billions from people and the nuisance of them is really bad. Many of us no longer answer any phone calls, ever, unless we can identify and we know the caller.

Of course there is supposed to be a Do Not Call registry with huge fines for those who violate the law. Sadly this is another reflection on the incompetence of our government. Billions and billions of robocalls are being made illegally and the government has again proven themselves worthless. We have politicians calling for more and more government involvement in every aspect of our lives. Unfortunately government can't seem to do anything right.
The reason that the Do Not Call registry does not work is that many if not most of the scamming calls route from overseas using Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP). It costs a fraction of a cent to send VOIP calls in bulk. Robocallers use a computerized system to dial possible numbers (so paying for an unlisted number does not work). Robocalls now average over 200 million per day in the US alone. Internationally, over 85 billion robocalls were sent in 2018. The US is not even the most impacted – Spain is the worst off, followed in severity by the UK, Italy, France, and Argentina. (source: https://www.verdict.co.uk/robocalls-malicious/). Most of these spam/scam calls display false telephone numbers, as current VOIP technology relies on the originating call to verify its own number. Until newer technology is developed, rolled out and funded, robocalls and spam calls will continue unabated.

Some of the big US carriers perform some call filtering aided by Google Voice technology. There are a lot of apps available that help block calls, though they are not perfect. I have used several of these such as HIghya and NoMoRoBo. Unfortunately, many criminals have now switched to spooling legitimate organizations such as banks, the IRS, SSA, etc. and many call blockers will not block these.

If you have a Google account and a U.S. phone number (mobile or landline) consider getting a Google Voice telephone number. You can treat that as a burner number that you can use when you are required to give out your phone number but don’t want to give them your personal number. Google Voice also has some interesting features such as call screening or transcribing voice messages and sending them to your Gmail account. This service is free.

Beware of teasing/messing with scammers too much. There have been instances of vengeful scammers spoofing/faking their own phone number to call in emergency reports to local police departments. Their intent is to send police SWAT teams to the address of the victim with the hope that the SWAT team will shoot first and ask questions later. This practice, known as "swatting", has resulted in deaths of innocent people.

Old Today, 04:00 PM

3,817 posts, read 2,928,069 times
This thread is humorous. There are always people out there who will take offense, so there will always be people who are offended.

Today I received a scam that was completely off the wall: “There is a criminal investigation ONGOING. If you think this might be about you, call.....”

I couldn’t believe it. They clearly didn’t know who I was and only suggested that I might be involved. It was too too funny.

Old Today, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
]
Beware of teasing/messing with scammers too much. There have been instances of vengeful scammers spoofing/faking their own phone number to call in emergency reports to local police departments. Their intent is to send police SWAT teams to the address of the victim with the hope that the SWAT team will shoot first and ask questions later. This practice, known as "swatting", has resulted in deaths of innocent people.
This is a good point. I just hang up usually, or act extremely stupid.

Old Today, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
A robotic voice greeted me yesterday. "Your Social Security number has been suspended. Press 1 if you want to correct this." Seriously? They have to do better than that to get my attention!
Press 2, if you want to be invisible???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement