Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 10:09 AM

3,925 posts, read 4,130,367 times

Advertisements

Ok... they are not funny if you fall for them. But if you know about it, then they can be humorous and you can even play along.

Which ones have you received by phone lately?

1. I’ve received the fake IRS one at least three times. It can be pretty scary, especially when you call back you you for get that now they instantly know your name and where you live. I’ve been waiting 2 years for them to send the cops and arrest me.

2. The new social security one where my social security number has been named to be invalid. I should be so lucky and then I will not be able to pay any more income tax. They’ve gotten scarier lately, and i have to keep reminding myself that SS doesn't call, that if they did they would know my name and my SS number.

3. The one where I get a refund from a lawsuit and all I have to do is give them my credit card number and SS number.

4. The card services people that claim to be from your credit card, except that if they were the would call themselves Card Service(no “s” on the end).

What phone scams have you received lately?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2019, 11:23 AM

2,893 posts, read 2,143,681 times
"suspicious activity in texas"

not suspicious activity related to my SSN or a credit card or anything. just "suspicious activity" and would i please call them back on the number they left? LOL, you bet.

p.s. i don't live in texas, my area code isn't texas, i haven't been there for over 25 years.

Old 09-14-2019, 11:34 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,431,406 times
“There’s a warrant for your arrest because you missed jury duty.”

I got that one years ago during a very stressful time in my life and while I wasn’t buying it I had been stressed enough that I wondered if I had missed something so hung on and questioned enough they thought they had me. The guy was nasty, knew where I lived, etc. even called me back. By then I knew it was a scam and when I said okay, I’m listening, tell me what I need to do they finally hung up. I figured by then they must have thought I was recording them which I wasn’t.

Old 09-14-2019, 12:38 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,978,672 times
I've had several Apple iCloud account calls, and a couple SS calls. I told the Apple caller to take my name off his list, and he said no, the cheeky bastard. The rest of the calls, I just hang up.

Old 09-14-2019, 12:51 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,922,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
"suspicious activity in texas"

Well that would happen...what...pretty much every day, right?

Latest ones have been claiming to be the local police charity of some kind.

Old 09-14-2019, 12:54 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,917,641 times
1. Was I aware my extended car warranty (that I never had) expired and if I hurry, it is still renewable.

2. My credit card has had suspicious activity.

3. My college debt (that I never had) is about to be turned over for collection.

4. Going to jail for missing jury duty.

5. The best one was the sheriffs dept two counties over asking if I wanted to "donate again this year, for their fundraiser". I never donated any money to them. THAT was a real female scammer calling. I told her to "fly a kite but in different words, then I called that sheriffs dept to let them know their name was being used.

Old 09-14-2019, 01:36 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,143,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
Well that would happen...what...pretty much every day, right?

Latest ones have been claiming to be the local police charity of some kind.

indeed. i suspect they left it vague to pique curiosity and get folks to call them.

Old 09-14-2019, 03:33 PM

326 posts, read 200,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
1. Was I aware my extended car warranty (that I never had) expired and if I hurry, it is still renewable.

2. My credit card has had suspicious activity.

3. My college debt (that I never had) is about to be turned over for collection.

4. Going to jail for missing jury duty.

5. The best one was the sheriffs dept two counties over asking if I wanted to "donate again this year, for their fundraiser". I never donated any money to them. THAT was a real female scammer calling. I told her to "fly a kite but in different words, then I called that sheriffs dept to let them know their name was being used.
I thought the car warranty ones were over a years ago but they have resurrected themselves in the last couple of weeks

Old 09-14-2019, 04:27 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,915,570 times
My son just got one about being a secret shopper. They sent a large check made out to him and he was to use the funds to purchase Best Buy gift cards and mail them into the secret shopper company.

Yeah, according to reviews, the check bounces and you're out the money for the gift cards you mailed in.

Old 09-14-2019, 05:12 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
I've "won" an opportunity for a $50 Amazon card or a Walgreens one - I've had each about a dozen times in the last few weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement