U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 07:30 AM

8,480 posts, read 5,207,999 times

Advertisements

I was able to sign up with no issues but DH ran into problems. Eventually what he did was deduce which wrong answers he should give to get past the screening.

You can either get frustrated because the credit database has incorrect information about you or you can figure out which answers are expected and give those. He found the latter easier, but then he only does the expert-level Sudoku puzzles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 12:10 PM

3,475 posts, read 2,432,216 times
There is no way to figure out what answers are expected. We just tried again. The questions have to do with a mortgage and credit cards (yesterday, it was a car loan) taken out by another person. We have no way to figure out if it's Target, Macy's or any other credit card they opened, no matter how much Sudoku we do. It is clear that his credit report contains information about another person. There is even a question about a former last or middle name, which really gives us a clue that someone else is on his credit report. For now, he will call SS and apply for Medicare on the phone. Then he will have to go to SS to open a My Social Security account. Then he will have to work on straightening out his credit record, which he is going to have to do by mail (already tried online; got the same weird questions from 2 credit bureaus).

The answer to the question about which credit bureau SS uses, BTW, is Equifax, in case any one needs that information.

Old 09-15-2019, 12:17 PM

7,746 posts, read 8,909,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
My brother and I were at my computer today, trying to sign him up for a My Social Security Account. When we reached the identification verification step early on, it asked questions that had nothing to do with him. It asked about his mortgage and car payment, neither of which he has or has ever had.

I signed up successfully a few years ago. The only time I had a problem is when I needed to change my password (they require it every 6 months) and I got locked out once.

General tips

- try a different browser and
- make sure any ad blocking extensions or other browser add-ons are disabled before going onto the SS site
- check that the browser options are set to default
- clear the browser cache and remove all prior cookies

If you get locked out then the next day call the SS office and see if you can reach someone and maybe even someone in tech support. Do that before you try signing up again. In fact, do the signup while you're on the phone with someone from the SS office, they might be able to see what's occurring on their end as you enter your info and submit.

ETA: when in doubt, call the SS office. I remember they were helpful for my issue, though I did have to wait for something to be sent to me snailmail.

Old 09-15-2019, 12:24 PM

3,475 posts, read 2,432,216 times
All our local SS offices have their "phone number" listed as the same 800 number as SS: 1-800-772-1213. Is that the number I call to get an appointment?

Old 09-15-2019, 12:27 PM

318 posts, read 129,425 times
LoriNJ, can your brother open a credit card and just autopay something like his electric bill on it each month? That would help him out in this type of a situation. I know he's against credit, but something fairly small may offer him a big return here.

Old 09-15-2019, 02:51 PM

4,540 posts, read 3,872,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
We've been trying for several weeks to help our 38 y.o. son set up his account; have talked hours on end with SS & have visited the local office, carrying multiple forms of documents including his state-issued id & his birth certificate. He has 20+ years of credits, which they've confirmed.

But they tell us that because he has zero credit activity (he's reported income, paid taxes, but has otherwise lived off the grid and chosen to never have a credit card or take out a loan) it's impossible for them to verify his identity & let him set up his account. The local office said "It's like he's a ghost to us".
We've given it a rest for now but will eventually take up the battle again.
We were told that since we tried more than 3 times, he was locked out & we will have to go to the local office yet one more time, show our documentation, obtain a verification code, then go home & use the verification code to get online & set him up.

(background: he was in an accident that resulted in severe injuries which left him hospitalized for 5 weeks & will take months to recover from. taking him into the local office even once took massive effort & energy; it will be awhile before he's up to making another try.)
I would write to your Congress person for help.
I would also apply for two credit cards and put a few small charges on them. I understand not wanting CC but at some point, maybe now, he will have to, to get things done.

Old 09-15-2019, 04:11 PM

8,070 posts, read 10,865,195 times
Seriously pick the phone up and call your US senator or representative. Explain your situation and they will be able to help you get to the bottom of this. My family would up going this way when a former US service man that was a great uncle of mine was denied a burial spot with his brother. They want to be buried together as neither had married. They got it done in no time.

Old 09-15-2019, 04:30 PM

89 posts, read 21,444 times
Everyone is different and has unique little issues in their backgrounds that cause snags and frustration especially with credit agencies. If you can, go into a SS office. Call to make an appointment. A face to face is always better than a phone call.

Old 09-15-2019, 04:39 PM

21,724 posts, read 14,401,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
My brother and I were at my computer today, trying to sign him up for a My Social Security Account. When we reached the identification verification step early on, it asked questions that had nothing to do with him. It asked about his mortgage and car payment, neither of which he has or has ever had. I forget what the other questions were, but all were irrelevant to him. Of course, because his ID could not be verified, we could not continue on to actually create the My Social Security Account. It said we could try again in 24 hours.

Which credit bureau does Social Security use to verify ID? I have read Experian in some places, and Equifax in other places. My brother has NOT frozen his credit reports, so that is not the issue.

I did see some other people complaining about a similar problem on a Social Security blog site. The complaints were like his: people were getting asked irrelevant questions and when they picked "none of the above" for those questions, they got locked out of the system. Has this happened to anyone else? I have a feeling he is going to have to go to SS in person or call them. We'll try again tomorrow. I thought we might pull his credit report first, to make sure it matches his information.

Thanks for any help anyone can give!
Those questions are standard from any of the big credit reporting agencies and others seeking to verify identity. System knows (or should) what is what, but like all multiple choice questions obvious incorrect answers are mixed in with correct. That is what "none of the above" response is there for; if you don't have a mortgage or car payment (and again system knows this as well), you give that response. OTOH if you answer yes and system has something different, it may trigger another reaction.

Questions from these queries are based upon compiled information from various sources (credit report, history with company/agency, public information, etc....) . This is one reason why people should look at their credit reports annually (it's free) to see if everything is accurate.

If system asks "Which one of these banks to you have a car loan from....." when both it and you know no such thing exists, then answer "None Of The Above" which is again the correct answer.

These questions are also designed to be answered by a human, not a bot or some other artificial intelligence seeking to gain access. Again just as with multiple choice exams nature of these queries forces respondent to think.

Old 09-15-2019, 05:42 PM

21,724 posts, read 14,401,806 times
Another thing, if you've every placed a fraud or security alert on your SS account to prevent online access, that's it then. Usually even decades later system will not grant access (even after answering all questions), and you'll be directed to either call SSA directly or to local office.

Calling SSA usually does no good as representative will see reason why (fraud or whatever alert) on account. They cannot lift that alert over telephone (for obvious reasons), so you'll be directed to local SSA office and told what papers to bring in order to have things sorted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or