U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 06:41 PM

3,475 posts, read 2,431,080 times

Advertisements

My brother and I were at my computer today, trying to sign him up for a My Social Security Account. When we reached the identification verification step early on, it asked questions that had nothing to do with him. It asked about his mortgage and car payment, neither of which he has or has ever had. I forget what the other questions were, but all were irrelevant to him. Of course, because his ID could not be verified, we could not continue on to actually create the My Social Security Account. It said we could try again in 24 hours.

Which credit bureau does Social Security use to verify ID? I have read Experian in some places, and Equifax in other places. My brother has NOT frozen his credit reports, so that is not the issue.

I did see some other people complaining about a similar problem on a Social Security blog site. The complaints were like his: people were getting asked irrelevant questions and when they picked "none of the above" for those questions, they got locked out of the system. Has this happened to anyone else? I have a feeling he is going to have to go to SS in person or call them. We'll try again tomorrow. I thought we might pull his credit report first, to make sure it matches his information.

Thanks for any help anyone can give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2019, 07:40 PM

32,691 posts, read 37,284,397 times
My Girlfriend just signed up for her new account and had similar questions to verify her identity. Her questions were legit and she answered correctly and set up the account. I did think it was unusual.

Must be a new step in verification in identity. You might need to call or go into the local SS office for assistance.

Old 09-14-2019, 08:59 PM

4,539 posts, read 3,870,703 times
My credit report included information about my daughter. It should not have. Some of the verification questions I get asked are items that relate to her but since I know this I get through the verification.

You can get a free credit report from each credit company so get these and correct any incorrect info. Not a hard process.
https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action Do not buy any extra services.

Old 09-14-2019, 09:03 PM

10,852 posts, read 8,221,791 times
We've been trying for several weeks to help our 38 y.o. son set up his account; have talked hours on end with SS & have visited the local office, carrying multiple forms of documents including his state-issued id & his birth certificate. He has 20+ years of credits, which they've confirmed.

But they tell us that because he has zero credit activity (he's reported income, paid taxes, but has otherwise lived off the grid and chosen to never have a credit card or take out a loan) it's impossible for them to verify his identity & let him set up his account. The local office said "It's like he's a ghost to us".
We've given it a rest for now but will eventually take up the battle again.
We were told that since we tried more than 3 times, he was locked out & we will have to go to the local office yet one more time, show our documentation, obtain a verification code, then go home & use the verification code to get online & set him up.

(background: he was in an accident that resulted in severe injuries which left him hospitalized for 5 weeks & will take months to recover from. taking him into the local office even once took massive effort & energy; it will be awhile before he's up to making another try.)

Last edited by biscuitmom; 09-14-2019 at 09:11 PM..

Old 09-14-2019, 10:01 PM

32,691 posts, read 37,284,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
We were told that since we tried more than 3 times, he was locked out & we will have to go to the local office yet one more time, show our documentation, obtain a verification code, then go home & use the verification code to get online & set him up.

(background: he was in an accident that resulted in severe injuries which left him hospitalized for 5 weeks & will take months to recover from. taking him into the local office even once took massive effort & energy; it will be awhile before he's up to making another try.)
I would try and take a Laptop or my phone to their office and see if I could do it there if possible while I was at their office. They may not let you on their internet but it sure would save a lot of frustration.

Old 09-14-2019, 10:10 PM

18,229 posts, read 23,613,278 times
I never had any issues. They recently beefed up security where you have to have a phone number where you can get a code to enter to verify you are who you say you are before you can log in.

Better security is always good, especially when it comes to your SSA account. So, I'd just suggest working with them. Eventually, it seems like you'll get things straightened out.

Old 09-14-2019, 10:22 PM

10,852 posts, read 8,221,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I would try and take a Laptop or my phone to their office and see if I could do it there if possible while I was at their office. They may not let you on their internet but it sure would save a lot of frustration.
Thanks, but that wouldn't change anything. Both the online folks and the local office completely acknowledge and express regret that we can't set up an account, they just don't have any way to bypass their security. The problem is not in their willingness to help, it's that their system is set up to keep out anyone who doesn't have any credit history, even if they've reported income and paid into SS for decades. Welcome to the Brave New World!

Old 09-15-2019, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Thanks, but that wouldn't change anything. Both the online folks and the local office completely acknowledge and express regret that we can't set up an account, they just don't have any way to bypass their security. The problem is not in their willingness to help, it's that their system is set up to keep out anyone who doesn't have any credit history, even if they've reported income and paid into SS for decades. Welcome to the Brave New World!

How strange! I hope you are able to get this straightened out.

Old 09-15-2019, 06:41 AM

Thanks to all who have replied. Rep points to all (via the "Rate this post positively" click).

Old 09-15-2019, 07:07 AM

11,061 posts, read 21,692,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
My brother and I were at my computer today, trying to sign him up for a My Social Security Account. When we reached the identification verification step early on, it asked questions that had nothing to do with him. It asked about his mortgage and car payment, neither of which he has or has ever had. I forget what the other questions were, but all were irrelevant to him. Of course, because his ID could not be verified, we could not continue on to actually create the My Social Security Account. It said we could try again in 24 hours.

Which credit bureau does Social Security use to verify ID? I have read Experian in some places, and Equifax in other places. My brother has NOT frozen his credit reports, so that is not the issue.

I did see some other people complaining about a similar problem on a Social Security blog site. The complaints were like his: people were getting asked irrelevant questions and when they picked "none of the above" for those questions, they got locked out of the system. Has this happened to anyone else? I have a feeling he is going to have to go to SS in person or call them. We'll try again tomorrow. I thought we might pull his credit report first, to make sure it matches his information.

Thanks for any help anyone can give!
Thanks for starting the topic. Lots of great info as comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or