U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:47 PM
ERH

1,223 posts, read 1,691,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
since we made the horrible decision to move back to the miserable,regressive state of CT from FL,2015, where we were comfortable after over 25 years because of health to be near daughter who will our shepard and executor.No Choice.
Dan, I'm curious about something and hope you will share your perspective.

In another thread, I'm getting raked over the coals for my decision to move 3 states away to provide companionship and housekeeping support to my 80yo dad, living apart from my husband of 33 years and college-aged kids.

The trigger for this was my mother's cancer, year-long deterioration from brain tumor surgery, and subsequent death a few years ago. Many of the posters ask why I didn't uproot them from the town where they lived for 65 years and demand that they come to me if they wanted my help.

How did you and your wife deal with your daughter's ultimatum? I mean, obviously you gave in, but your note implies it wasn't your choice.

As for the OP, it's a great question for us all to ponder. Since I have sons who aren't particularly sentimental about their baby mementos and such, I have pared much of that down. Once I've finished organizing the digital photos (a never-ending process, it seems), I'll give them each a flash drive or cloud access. My computer files are regularly backed up to the cloud, since I have a business, so I'll give responsibility to the oldest kid to manage that access when the time comes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:43 PM

4,875 posts, read 2,786,231 times
I am not planning to do anything with digital property I have. I am not so naive that I think anyone would find value in it, or want to spend the time going through it. The memories in those photos are personal to me (and DW) so I don't expect them to mean anything to anyone else.

Old Yesterday, 05:49 PM

4,232 posts, read 1,696,538 times
"when the time comes"
we hear/see that a lot.
our opinion, the time is now.
we are not promised our next breath.

Old Yesterday, 06:48 PM

10,283 posts, read 5,667,282 times
Well, on another side of the coin......

In the first decade of this century, I was doing a heck of a lot of human trafficking research and I was concerned about being at family gatherings during such. I essentially made my room off limits.

In the years to come, what should be done with my LE digital and printed (ie, CRC publishers) resources? The books I would imagine would be sold, but what about all that digital info......I guess the whole kit and kaboodle will be deleted.

Which will be a pity for it seems as we move on in time, digital information becomes just a foot note. When I was doing hostage research and was looking at Entebbe, I couldn't find much on the net. I finally had to special order 2 or 3 books on the incident.

As far as my personal diaries and the massive picture files related to them, who knows. Unless I check out some way violently, the printed stuff will probably be stuffed into a closet, a big closet (and if they need them to find out what I was working on at the time, my abstract writing will be lost on them).........and as the saying goes to the digital stuff......

......... "anyone coming across those disks will probably erase them for their own use".

Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM

7,170 posts, read 8,278,780 times
I have copied all my files onto a portable USB hard drive, which is 2 TB. It is nowhere near half full yet. When I add files to the hard drive, I delete them from the laptop. Hopefully, I will not be leaving behind more then one or two of these small drives (about 1x3" and flattish). They will fit into any USB port, but are not computers. If they are tossed, that's fine with me.

I see no sense in deleting anything that gives you joy. You may yet live long enough to regret it. To me, that would be the saddest thing.

Old Yesterday, 09:31 PM

4,880 posts, read 1,886,699 times
Quote:
my brother and sister are getting close to my age.

When they pass you, it becomes their problem.

Old Today, 06:30 AM

2,047 posts, read 669,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
When they pass you, it becomes their problem.
Ha! Yeah, an awkward statement. I should have said are in the process of retiring as well.

Old Today, 10:14 AM

9,274 posts, read 8,018,452 times
I am 77 and single (spouse died). I am in reasonable health for my age. I live a comfortable and somewhat active life, but I realize I am on the short end of life. I am very close to my son but we live 1,000 miles apart. I told my son I am moving anything of interest (picture albums, etc.) and value (safe box) into my computer room closet. I told him when I die, look through that closet for anything you want. Otherwise, call for a dumpster and empty my (his on my death) house out.

I am also slowly disposing of things like unused furniture, tools, etc. I recently went through a lined closet. I found 5 sets on bedspreads with matching stuff. I do not use any of them so they went bye bye. 20 polo shirts so about 8 of them went bye bye. Sock draw next.

There are no passwords on my computers so he can look through them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or