U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 08:30 AM

3,916 posts, read 3,247,868 times

Advertisements

I eventually realized that listening to the thousands of songs I had purchased, bootlegged and ripped from CDs was limiting my experience. With Spotify being able to play virtually any song I might want to hear, I have no need to own music any longer. Streaming satisfies my desire to hear favorites and also constantly keeps me exposed to new music. Owning a large music library is counterproductive to someone who likes to hear new music.

In addition to Spotify I listen to various streaming, human-curated radio and playlists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 08:44 AM

15,941 posts, read 27,100,565 times
My 81 year old dad has a collection of music. He still has his vinyl from as far back as the late 50's. His iPod has over 10,000 songs on it.

When I was a kid it was reel to reel, then cassette, then CD's, my dad bought a record player that he could record strait to his computer then he downloaded everything to his device.

Old 09-16-2019, 08:58 AM

16 posts, read 5,276 times
LP's, CD's, and digital music. OP: If you have a blu-ray or DVD player, that will also play your CD's. Maybe invest in a decent pair of bookshelf speakers and enjoy. For those of you with LP's, get a used turntable, or moderately priced new one, and enjoy re-discovering old stuff. It's a great experience. Invest in a receiver and ditch those sound bars. If you want home theater, get a nice center channel speaker.

For those of you who want to digitize your collection and have a PC or laptop, for the best quality, create FLAC files by ripping your CD's. I recommend exact audio copy.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:05 AM

152 posts, read 34,383 times
I am waiting for my Microsoft Zune to make a comeback. I figure it should be any year now.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:05 AM

7,444 posts, read 15,555,489 times
As sort of an addition - I listen to a lot of music (digitally, as I said before), but the way I find new music is through Pandora stations (I have two stations that I have been "curating" and culling for about 10 years) and various Spotify playlists.

If I am in the car, I sometimes listen to Sirius XM, but the Sirius stations - all of them - are very limited and repetitive and it is hard to find new music by listening to Sirius. I also listen to a couple internet stations but the same thing applies there.

I never listen to AM or FM radio stations. Can't stand DJs or talk radio and the formats and rotations are far worse than Sirius. Plus, in my area, none of the station formats interest me. It used to be that you could hear interesting stuff when you traveled, but now so much of it is controlled by a few huge corporations that you get the same thing in different areas (like, say, all of the JACK or BOB stations).
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 09-16-2019, 10:19 AM

9,295 posts, read 8,036,610 times
Sirius Radio in my car and some CD's. In the house, music stations on cable TV. I have one old device that plays cassette tapes, CD's and is an AM/FM radio but I almost never use it.

Old 09-16-2019, 10:27 AM

10,322 posts, read 5,680,248 times
How do I enjoy my music?
With belly dancers.

Old 09-16-2019, 10:55 AM

3,871 posts, read 1,690,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
As sort of an addition - I listen to a lot of music (digitally, as I said before), but the way I find new music is through Pandora stations (I have two stations that I have been "curating" and culling for about 10 years) and various Spotify playlists.

If I am in the car, I sometimes listen to Sirius XM, but the Sirius stations - all of them - are very limited and repetitive and it is hard to find new music by listening to Sirius. I also listen to a couple internet stations but the same thing applies there.

I never listen to AM or FM radio stations. Can't stand DJs or talk radio and the formats and rotations are far worse than Sirius. Plus, in my area, none of the station formats interest me. It used to be that you could hear interesting stuff when you traveled, but now so much of it is controlled by a few huge corporations that you get the same thing in different areas (like, say, all of the JACK or BOB stations).
Agree about the radio stations! Uck! I had Pandora for awhile a few years ago but it was SOOO repetitive and the song versions were low quality live versions, quite often. Gave it up in disgust. Maybe it is different now. I'll try Spotify again; was not too impressed at first. Of course, I'm doing the free version.

So our friends use a very small Bose speaker that links via Bluetooth to their phone which has the playlists. Is anyone using this method? I kinda hate relying on a phone, though...but it's nicely portable.

After I wrote this, I tried the CDs in the DVD player or the laptop and yes, they worked. So there's that.

Sounds like many of us are still going the CD route!

Old 09-16-2019, 10:57 AM

3,871 posts, read 1,690,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post
4600 more or less songs on my iPod, played throughout the day through my sound bar.
Songs range from the 40s to the end of the 20th century, all with great momories.
4,600 songs! Did you pay for them, or from your own CDs? Wow.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:26 AM

5,633 posts, read 2,584,604 times
No interest in downloading music, the quality is poor. I also have no interest in spending the time fiddling around with it or in paying subscriptions - I am trying to reduce overhead.

I play CDs through a proper CD player, amplifier, and two large speakers. There's no way those crappy little bookshelf speakers can move air like real speakers. Anything smaller than about the size of a Klipsch Heresy is going to be tinny sounding. I know the fashion these days is to mike everything at a distance of about 3 mm and then mix it so it sounds like your ears are about 6 mm from every single instrument and singer's mouth, but to me that sounds lousy. When you listen to actual musicians playing actual instruments, you're at some distance from them. You don't hear the gasp every time the singer takes a breath; you don't hear every time the guitarist's fingers squeak on the strings. I don't want to hear that crud on a CD either. Speakers of rational size situated at some distance from your ears help to smooth all that out.

I finally gave up on LPs because while it may be possible to get better sound from a brand new LP played on a high quality turntable with a high quality needle and cartridge, it's not new very long, and once it collects some dust and little scratches it sounds worse than a reasonable quality CD. I also like having up to 70 minutes of music at a stretch rather than 20.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement