U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 12:24 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,002,228 times

Advertisements

I enjoy my music with good sound quality, and dance-able. Good speakers help, but it also depends on acoustics. Otherwise, the source doesn't matter to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 03:24 PM

607 posts, read 339,321 times
With some fava beans and a nice chianti.

Old 09-16-2019, 03:31 PM

1,165 posts, read 462,650 times
I love the flexibility in today’s world. When I’m in the car and hear a song that I loved in the past, often, I’ll jump on iTunes and download it.

I’m in Wyoming this week and the rental has Sirius radio. They played Loggins and Messina’s “Angry Eyes”. Such a great song that runs over 7 minutes. There’s nothing more fun than driving 90, at night, dodging pronghorns grooving to Angry Eyes. Don’t worry....I survived despite my tomfoolery. it was downloaded along with “Danny’s Song”.

Old 09-16-2019, 04:10 PM

5,536 posts, read 3,184,397 times
I much prefer my music soft and mellow.

My car radio has not worked for about 6 months and I don't miss it because I could never find a station that I liked.

Where we lived a few years ago there was a station that played "the Music of your life" that we much enjoyed. But that was 2000 miles from here.

Old 09-16-2019, 07:41 PM

661 posts, read 566,876 times
Vinyl at home, Sirius in the car. Music is my passion and between my stereo, vinyl, dedicated listening room, guitars and amps, I could fund a small country.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:15 PM

4,915 posts, read 1,904,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
It used to be that you could hear interesting stuff when you traveled, but now so much of it is controlled by a few huge corporations that you get the same thing in different areas (like, say, all of the JACK or BOB stations).

Nearly every country has an internal music industry, not controlled by the Sony mafia. Virtually everything is on Youtube and can be searched under country name.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:25 PM

26,483 posts, read 33,519,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Vinyl, 8-tracks, cassettes, CDs and now digital. We've come a long way...

What method do you retirees use to access/listen to your music?

We still have boxes of CDs but now the Bose has given up the ghost so trying to decide what new method to use. I hate to chuck all those CDs, after all. I guess we could get a CD player and hook it to the TV sound bar, if they even MAKE CD players anymore....

Seems our peers are making playlists and using the phone to store them.
I just got a new(ish) car that does not have a CD player and I am super bummed as I love grabbing a few cd's when I head out on a road trip. Full-spectrum audio sounds much richer than mp3's, so I hate the idea of ripping everything to a flash drive, but I guess that is my only option. I do have a CD player in my stereo at home and do occasionally listen to them there. (Of course they still make them!!)

I do listen to mp3s on my Sansa clip players at the gym and when running or walking.

Occasionally, I will stream music from my Amazon Prime account. I only use Pandora and Spotify if my mp3 player dies at the gym.

Old 09-17-2019, 12:50 AM

1,255 posts, read 745,050 times
Out of favor physical music mediums provide an opportunity to own your own copies of a broad range of music for almost no cost. I replaced the CD Radio in my van with a CD/ Cassette Radio because I have ton of cassettes, and recently bought a whole box of talking books on tape, from a thrift store. We forgot the talking books on our road trip. I stopped at a thrift store and bought a hand full of cassettes for $1.We were passing through areas with no radio reception. Yeah satellite radio would be nice but I'm not about to pay for radio.
You can call me cheap if you want but I think it's conservation of resources.

Old 09-17-2019, 01:28 AM

4,960 posts, read 2,803,582 times
We have boxes of CDs but have not played one in 5 years. At home we only use Pandora these days. While flying I listen to a combo of downloaded music from iTunes and CDs I ripped.

I get tired of shuffling and playlists so like Pandora as it selects stuff for me.

Old 09-17-2019, 02:09 AM

2,028 posts, read 451,030 times
Sirius XM, CDs, Pandora, Amazon Alexa stream.

Loaded a ton of Beatles on a USB thumbdrive for cross country trips - don't really like that format, but it's an option over carrying a lot of CDs.

Had Amazon Premium Music subscription for awhile but the bills for subscriptions have been adding up and some are redundant (Sirius and Amazon both providing music)....so I ditched the Amazon premium music option at least for now - but it's a huge library of music.

The only time I use a phone device to listen is when I'm running and then I listen to the pop culture stuff that you hear on radio nowadays because the beat matches the running cadence.

Music means as much to me as it did as a teenager when I listened a lot - (PS going to see The Who on Sunday - and just missed Peter Frampton due to hurricane travel - had to waste my tix). ZZ Top later this year w/ Cheap Trick. Dave Matthews Band and John Mayer have been the go to music this past year.....saw DMB again this past summer.

No vinyl, no 8-tracks, no cassettes anymore - although all of those were heavily used over the years....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement