U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 05:33 PM

4,877 posts, read 3,380,409 times

Advertisements

This procrastination is not just about being late for appointments.

It takes me forever to take garbage down to trash room, I have piles of recyclables waiting for movement, too.

I also go for days without going out and without getting dressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 05:51 PM

4,894 posts, read 2,791,150 times
I have a tendency to procrastinate about decisions. So I went on this kick of not letting myself fall into "analysis paralysis" in which no decision gets made because I am worried it is the wrong one, and I decided to make fast decisions. Well, that resulted in some bad outcomes for us, particularly with traveling and where we stayed, so now I am back to procrastinating. Things eventually get decided, or get done around the house, just not in a hurry. But I figure so what? I'm retired and what's the rush anyway?

Old 09-15-2019, 05:53 PM

6,607 posts, read 5,271,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
This procrastination is not just about being late for appointments.

It takes me forever to take garbage down to trash room, I have piles of recyclables waiting for movement, too.

I also go for days without going out and without getting dressed.
I go for days without leaving my house, but i do get dressed. Keep the wardrobe simple. I live on a main street and never know who is going to stop by, so i have to at least put on a bra -

Old 09-15-2019, 05:58 PM

Don't you have two cats? Their litter boxes should be scooped at least once a day. That should motivate you to take the garbage out?

That is what makes me go to the store - cats need litter. I order dog food from Chewy.com now.

Old 09-15-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I have a tendency to procrastinate about decisions. So I went on this kick of not letting myself fall into "analysis paralysis" in which no decision gets made because I am worried it is the wrong one, and I decided to make fast decisions. Well, that resulted in some bad outcomes for us, particularly with traveling and where we stayed, so now I am back to procrastinating. Things eventually get decided, or get done around the house, just not in a hurry. But I figure so what? I'm retired and what's the rush anyway?

I like how you think. You helped make it clearer for me.

I am 77, live alone with my 2 cats, have two kids but only hear from one (texting on phone). No one comes to visit. I have told my neighbors that my place is a mess and I won't invite anyone in. Between the cats and obeying doctors' orders of limiting doing things around here, it is a mess. Lots of cat hair and of course dust. Someone suggested hiring someone to do a complete job and then I could do maintenance. Sounds good but I don't do it. Who the heck knows why. I sit and watch TV a lot, try to read but can't for long.

So I'm thinking there is probably some depression involved. Another suggestion was to find a counselor and talk it out. Still sitting and not doing.

Old 09-15-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Don't you have two cats? Their litter boxes should be scooped at least once a day. That should motivate you to take the garbage out?

That is what makes me go to the store - cats need litter. I order dog food from Chewy.com now.

I do clean the cat boxes (2) almost every day, some times I wait for the second day. It all gets wrapped up pretty tight in a couple of plastic bags and put in the large daily garbage bag. So I can't smell it, and it will sit in the entryway for a day or two. I don't leave my apartment for days at a time.

Old 09-15-2019, 06:55 PM

4,253 posts, read 1,703,173 times
"If you do and you got over it, how did you do it?"

biting my fingernails.
dermatologist told me.

story:
i was a wrestler in college. the referees checked our fingernails so we could not scratch our opponent.
i bit mine off while waiting during the weigh-in for my weight class. it had a calming effect, i guess.

later in life, the ends of my fingers would become dry and develop cuts or splits.
the dermatologist said to allow my fingernails to grow to protect my fingertips.
that worked this past winter. but now, my wife is jealous since she cannot
grow long fingernails without splitting. win/win.

Old 09-15-2019, 07:09 PM

460 posts, read 293,091 times
NYGal, I’m sorry about the eyes and the road trips that probably won’t happen. Giving up a dream is tough.

Old 09-15-2019, 08:03 PM

Maybe it is depression. Big hug to you. Hope you start feeling better.

Your road trip can be accomplished via a travel group. Hope you get to do it.

Old 09-15-2019, 08:35 PM

238 posts, read 197,663 times
....I see the road travel I have been looking forward to will probably not happen.
Will it not happen because of your eyesight limiting your driving? As Clemencia53 said, book travel with a group. Or, my favorite, take the train!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or