U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:53 AM

3,839 posts, read 1,681,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I go for days without leaving my house, but i do get dressed. Keep the wardrobe simple. I live on a main street and never know who is going to stop by, so i have to at least put on a bra -
LOL! We live in a condo and neighbors occasionally pop in. They know 2 things: we don't get up until 10:00 or so, and during the day, I won't be wearing a bra in the house. Not till I go out. So there.

You have more discipline than I!

I am disappointed in myself for not using the elliptical machine. I would do Spanish lessons while on it so it seemed like a great 2-fer. But I know what's holding me back---cynicism.

I no longer believe I can get "fit" or improve physically since I have arthritis (I'm a normal weight).

I no longer believe I can ever learn enough Spanish to make the effort even worthwhile. Basically, it's a fear of failure. So I just don't do it. Stupid, but I know that's what's going on.

We do walk a mile or so every day and got into that habit by just scheduling it for 5:00 pm. No discussion, just "time to go". That really helped.

We were habitual heavy drinkers and cut way down by not having it in the house. We still drink socially but don't buy any unless there's a party. Honestly, I was not at all sure we could pull this off. But we did.

OP, if you want to take a trip, pay for the hotel or whatever "now". Then you're obligated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:15 PM

13,388 posts, read 13,855,494 times
if you are someone who calls for help from "the Universe" or from your Higher Power, or from God

these have worked marvelously for me
"Take away my desire for _________ "
"Increase my desire for __________ "

for instance, take away my desire for "food that is not good for me"
"increase my desire for food that is healthy"

it is startling for me the results. literally from one day to the next I lost my desire for certain foods. I would try to eat them and they simply did not taste good anymore. it was weird. and I started wanting to eat other foods which to my surprise really tasted good, even in a plain form.

i have to watch the power of these though. once i said "I release that which no longer serves me"
and the next morning i got downsized from my job. totally out of the blue and unexpected.

with the food thing, once i saw how effective this was, i started putting on more parameters and added things like "the food in my house is delicious, inexpensive, easy to prepare, quick to prepare, healthy for me, and kosher" (since i keep kosher) its amazing what is now in my cupboards. i would never have thought it.

i don't like exercise and won't go to a gym or take exercise classes for anything. recently i went through a health situation where i needed to regain my strength and stamina so i said "send me a form of exercise that is pleasing to me, that will increase my strength and stamina, improve my immune system, and that i look forward to doing each day. Well, within a couple days i started reading online about a form of qi gong and tried it out and i now do this twice a day and really like it.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; Yesterday at 01:27 PM..

Old Yesterday, 02:04 PM

4,541 posts, read 4,823,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I had to learn to do that. I would get overwhelmed with the size of tasks, and then I learned to just break it down and do one little thing at a time.

Yes, that helps a lot. I time myself... if i have a task, like a pile of dishes, vacuuming etc., I give myself like 20 minutes and tell myself to "just get it the f*** done"!! It works and I feel much better.

I also tell myself.. "For God sake, get off your butt and do it!"

My 90yr old mother puts me to shame with housekeeping. Thankfully we live hundreds of miles apart!

Old Yesterday, 04:42 PM

11,199 posts, read 12,675,819 times
Good thing I don't have any bad habits. Now for a nice cigar, and some bourbon after the pizza and ice cream I just ate.

Old Yesterday, 04:59 PM

4,877 posts, read 3,380,409 times
^^^^ LOL...... sounds like a happy, good life to me.

Old Yesterday, 10:21 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
23,056 posts, read 40,601,434 times
Habit breaking...

I find it takes 6 wks of purposed 're-programming' / doing'

Here are some good ideas.
https://www.lemonade.com/blog/breaking-bad-habits/
https://lifehacker.com/top-10-ways-t...its-1694247761
https://www.developgoodhabits.com/break-bad-habit/

I have a lot of bad habits to break...

I will attempt (purpose) to break at least 1 / week for the next 40 yrs.

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can,

Old Yesterday, 11:27 PM

2,282 posts, read 1,424,706 times
Have you tried taking a vacation from your To Do list?

Give yourself a week to forget about all the things you think you are supposed to do. Take the pressure off yourself for a period of time. Just do the bare bones necessities for awhile - like eating and taking out the trash.

Old Today, 01:08 AM

18,220 posts, read 23,525,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I had to learn to do that. I would get overwhelmed with the size of tasks, and then I learned to just break it down and do one little thing at a time.
Me, too! I tell myself I only have to wash one dirty dish or pan, then I always do more. But, then, I'm a major success as opposed to thinking that I was a loser because I didn't wash all the dishes.

What I often do, OP, is give myself a reward. I always have a project lined up I really want to do, and often I'm waiting for stuff to arrive to do it. So, I tell myself - if I do something I really don't want to do, like wash the dishes, then when the stuff arrives, I can work on my project guilt-free!

Example - I'm refinishing a sewing machine cabinet. I've ordered stain and sand paper sponges and other stuff I need to finish that project. While I wait for these items to arrive, I tell myself that I should wash the dishes and then I get to reward myself by working on my cabinet.

What works for me, as someone who has suffered from clinical depression most of my adult life - as far as motivation, I need to find something I care about first, then figure out ways to reward myself for doing even a little on something I also need to get done but don't feel like doing - like doing the dishes or laundry, etc.

Old Today, 02:29 AM

1,974 posts, read 443,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
My number 1 bad habit is procrastination. It's getting worse. I have been putting off something for almost a week. It's not life or death stuff. It's just stuff around here that needs being done and gets worse when I don't do them.

Any one out there have something like that going on? If you do and you got over it, how did you do it?
I'll give you my answer maybe later today - or tomorrow - or next week. I'll put it on my to-do list. Promise.

Old Today, 10:26 AM

17,677 posts, read 21,561,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post

i don't like exercise and won't go to a gym or take exercise classes for anything. recently i went through a health situation where i needed to regain my strength and stamina so i said "send me a form of exercise that is pleasing to me, that will increase my strength and stamina, improve my immune system, and that i look forward to doing each day. Well, within a couple days i started reading online about a form of qi gong and tried it out and i now do this twice a day and really like it.
Small wonder you don't like exercise as you're not hungry. In the cave days, mankind only got off their lazy butts when hungry and they had to hunt for some game or fish. Enough food for a week, they just sat around, ate, slept. If you see those birds and bees "exercising", running here and there, they're not doing it for exercise, they're hungry!

If you want to break up a long-engrained habit, don't try dynamite, it's not strong enough, it calls for an atomic bomb.

I've been sleeping away the heat of the summer, getting up at 7-8-9pm, and enjoying the cool of the night and early mornings. Now that summer has ended, it's an extreme challenge for me to tone down my sleep habits. I was planning on going to sleep at 5-6 am, and get up around 2-3-4 pm, but here it is, 9:23am, and I'll be lucky to hit the sack before 10am.

I'm missing Bingo every Tuesday at 1:30pm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or