U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 05:21 AM

6,749 posts, read 8,310,695 times

Advertisements

Single men are welcomed since there are more single women than men usually. But that also leads less secure couples to wonder ‘why’ since they need their partners in order to feel complete.

But single women are more likely to get pushed around in subtle ways. It’s still a male empowered society. And insecure married women are often thinking that single women are ‘after their man’.

All of this feeds into peoples reactions. And when a male buys a house on his own they want to just assume it is ‘bait’ to attract a wife. For women they seem to think ‘poor thing no one wants her’. But the enlightened just assume that is how you like it at least at the moment.

Last edited by luv4horses; 09-16-2019 at 05:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 05:22 AM

16,632 posts, read 10,592,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
But, did you discuss your status as property-owning single with people in the restaurants, bars, etc.? In my humble opinion, it’s none of anyone’s business except the real-estate tax authorities. And, they don’t give any discount based upon the number of owners and their marital / partnership status.

good point. Maybe they think the OP is weird for even mentioning such info.

OP
might I suggest, when talking to people in restaurants, bars, etc, talk about the weather. Just a thought.

Old 09-16-2019, 05:31 AM

12,285 posts, read 5,432,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
good point. Maybe they think the OP is weird for even mentioning such info.

OP
might I suggest, when talking to people in restaurants, bars, etc, talk about the weather. Just a thought.
If anyone asks me why I am single, I tell them I like it that way. End of conversation on the topic.

Old 09-16-2019, 05:35 AM

29,217 posts, read 63,522,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I don't see myself marrying. This "condition" will likely persist.
I've gotten the impression from them that being a single male property owner is "weird."
It is "weird" ...get over it.
But the vibe you're getting is about the not pairing up thing.

Old 09-16-2019, 05:40 AM

1,835 posts, read 2,526,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
"Single" is a legal term used for people that are not divorced or widowed and never married. It's used for example when acquiring a mortgage when the bank wants to know who you are and asks that question on paperwork. It also appears on deeds to properties.
I don’t mind the term “single“ (as opposed to married), but I’m not sure I like the distinction of “legally single.” Maybe I’m missing something. Can you give an example of where it would be important to make a distinction between “degrees of singleness?”

Old 09-16-2019, 05:49 AM

12,285 posts, read 5,432,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
I don’t mind the term “single“ (as opposed to married), but I’m not sure I like the distinction of “legally single.” Maybe I’m missing something. Can you give an example of where it would be important to make a distinction between “degrees of singleness?”
As I already stated, it's a legal term for people that have never been married. If you've never been married you are legally "single". If you are divorced or widowed, you are not legally single. You are classified as divorced or widowed. It's a way to legally distinguish people that have never been married to people that are divorced or widowed. It's used for legal papers when buying property.
There are no degrees of being single. You're either single (never married) or you're not. Whether or not any individual likes the distinction is irrelevant.

Old 09-16-2019, 05:57 AM

6,060 posts, read 5,462,761 times
It's not weird. I am never married and never paid rent in my life, like most lifelong singles I know.

Only an idiot puts off things they want because they may get married someday.

When I was younger if I met a woman without her own home I lost all interest.

Old 09-16-2019, 06:38 AM

6,673 posts, read 5,321,437 times
Try being a female that never reproduced.

Old 09-16-2019, 06:43 AM

54 posts, read 31,170 times
The "weird" reaction you're getting is a direct reflection of the emotional and financial maturity of the person who is looking at you as if you have three horns on your head.

When I was young (and incredibly immature) I would give the same befuddled reaction whenever I encountered someone in my age group who owned their own home. At the time, I lived paycheck to paycheck, burning through everything as soon as I got it (and more) because I had never been taught how to manage money. This was late 70s, early 80s - long before the internet, and all my friends lived the same way so I had no friends providing real-life examples of prudent money management.

It wasn't until my late twenties when my brother-in-law and his wife bought a fixer-upper that my then-husband and I started looking at what we needed to do to make that a possibility for us.

It has nothing to do with you being single. It has everything to do with them.

Old 09-16-2019, 06:51 AM

1,835 posts, read 2,526,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
As I already stated, it's a legal term for people that have never been married. If you've never been married you are legally "single". If you are divorced or widowed, you are not legally single. You are classified as divorced or widowed. It's a way to legally distinguish people that have never been married to people that are divorced or widowed. It's used for legal papers when buying property.
There are no degrees of being single. You're either single (never married) or you're not. Whether or not any individual likes the distinction is irrelevant.
Simply repeating your statement does not make it so Here is one definition of single (found on lawdepot.com):

Quote:
As a single person, you are not legally bound to anyone who is not a dependent. You can be considered as single if you have never been married, were married but divorced, or due to the death of a spouse. It is possible to be single at multiple different points in your life.
I have never heard the term “legally single,” and cannot for the life of me understand why it would be relevant in any kind of legal context. When I was divorced and bought property, my Deed of Trust identified me as a single person, the same as someone who had never been married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement