U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 01:37 PM

4,204 posts, read 3,390,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
“In 2017, the Census Bureau reported that a record number of adults in the U.S. were not married.

In 2017, the U.S. census reported 110.6 million unmarried people over the age of 18—that’s 45.2 percent of the American adult population—carrying out their lives to a new set of societal norms.”

“To previous generations, America’s single population might be seen as outrageous. In 1960, 72 percent of adults were married.”

More Americans Are Single Than Ever Before
https://observer.com/2018/01/more-am...healthier-too/

“There is little debate that American adults are far less likely to be married than they were two generations ago. In 1950, married couples represented 78 percent of households in the United Stat
es. In 2011, the US Census Bureau reported, that percentage had dropped to 48 percent. In 2014, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that 124.6 million Americans 16 years and older were single, or 50.2 percent of the population, compared with 37.4 percent of the population in 1976.”
https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Societ...-are-unmarried
Thanks for bringing data into the conversation. The only thing "weird" about being "legally(?) single" is that anyone would remark on the fact. Conservative thinking at its non-best.

I've been single my whole life and agree with several on-thread that marrying isn't too clever, since I'm not perpetuating the species nor do I have much use for womankind. I'm not a cruel man, rather having better things to do than live with drama. Also like a few others, I find monogamy laughable and question how many men really, truly, believe that's the best way to go through life. Damn few, I suspect, but getting that news out there is improbable to impossible.

I've had 3-4 deeds under my name so far, age 29-current, no one made any remarks. Nor will they in the future, if I make a rental property strike, most likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 02:45 PM

3,810 posts, read 2,918,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Mr. Rochester, in the novel Jane Eyre.
Doesn’t that mean that you would have to be married to an insane woman who is kept in a locked room in the attic? How often does that happen?

Old 09-17-2019, 02:47 PM

3,810 posts, read 2,918,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post

I've had 3-4 deeds under my name so far, age 29-current, no one made any remarks. Nor will they in the future, if I make a rental property strike, most likely.
It doesn’t really count until you are at least 60. My daughter was single until she was 29 for any number of good reasons.

Old 09-17-2019, 05:40 PM

7,940 posts, read 3,391,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm lifelong legally single. I just closed on a property Friday. I've met various people at restaurants, bars, etc.., since then. I've gotten the impression from them that being a single male property owner is "weird."

I don't see myself marrying. This "condition" will likely persist. It's unlikely that I'll marry or have kids within the next couple of years.

As you aged and remained or become single, how did you handle it? Logistically and socially? Do you feel discriminated against because you choose to remain legally single?
Nope. I've always been single (at least in terms of legal marriage) as an adult. Don't have kids and frankly never saw myself being a parent. Handle it? Like everyone else does. There are simply fewer people around to share responsibilities/tasks with. Is that what you mean? Whether you actually are being discriminated against or not, feeling that way has to start with you. I've negotiated, bought, owned, and maintained a few properties on my own and never felt disapproval from anyone because of it. What an odd thing to wonder about.

Old 09-17-2019, 05:40 PM

12,103 posts, read 20,672,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
"Single" is a legal term used for people that are not divorced or widowed and never married. It's used for example when acquiring a mortgage when the bank wants to know who you are and asks that question on paperwork. It also appears on deeds to properties.
Not really. I’m recently widowed and for this tax year I am still married, next year I will be single. When I buy my next house, I will be single. Widow is more a social term now.

Old 09-17-2019, 08:22 PM

12,285 posts, read 5,432,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Not really. I’m recently widowed and for this tax year I am still married, next year I will be single. When I buy my next house, I will be single. Widow is more a social term now.
Wait and see what your deed says to your new property when you buy it. If you answer the questions honestly given the choices, it will not say you are single. It will say widowed or unmarried. The IRS is a completely different matter.
As I stated earlier, I didn't make up the lingo used for property deeds, so don't blame me.

Last edited by marino760; 09-17-2019 at 08:31 PM..

Old 09-17-2019, 09:03 PM

24,591 posts, read 18,312,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Nope. I've always been single (at least in terms of legal marriage) as an adult. Don't have kids and frankly never saw myself being a parent. Handle it? Like everyone else does. There are simply fewer people around to share responsibilities/tasks with. Is that what you mean? Whether you actually are being discriminated against or not, feeling that way has to start with you. I've negotiated, bought, owned, and maintained a few properties on my own and never felt disapproval from anyone because of it. What an odd thing to wonder about.
The social expectation is to be married and have kids. I live in a conservative area. If a man is unmarried and a property owner, they're going to think he is "***** hopper" at best or gay. It's just a different mindset here.

Old 09-17-2019, 09:41 PM

10,906 posts, read 14,660,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
After the first page (maybe two) EVERY thread turns into... something else.

As for this thread... it has no business in the retirement section.
Maybe relationships better in psychology.
Pfft, stick the words retired, aging or old in the title and presto change-o, you now have retirement topic!
As you age do you still hate broccoli?
Do old people like to watch the walking dead?
As a retiree have you ever been to Florida?

Old 09-17-2019, 10:02 PM

1,314 posts, read 484,946 times
Quote:
As I already stated, it's a legal term for people that have never been married. If you've never been married you are legally "single". If you are divorced or widowed, you are not legally single. You are classified as divorced or widowed. It's a way to legally distinguish people that have never been married to people that are divorced or widowed. It's used for legal papers when buying property.
There are no degrees of being single. You're either single (never married) or you're not. Whether or not any individual likes the distinction is irrelevant.
Um, isn't the purpose of divorce to become single?
Legally

And I've never had an experience that required me to indicate why I was single.

I think this is a distinction without a difference.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:14 PM

7,307 posts, read 4,070,726 times
Quote:
As I already stated, it's a legal term for people that have never been married. If you've never been married you are legally "single". If you are divorced or widowed, you are not legally single. You are classified as divorced or widowed. It's a way to legally distinguish people that have never been married to people that are divorced or widowed. It's used for legal papers when buying property.
There are no degrees of being single. You're either single (never married) or you're not. Whether or not any individual likes the distinction is irrelevant.
cn

?? I bought a condo after I was widowed and I was designated as single. My second husband bought a house after a divorce and he was designated as single. This was in the 1980's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement