U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 10:22 PM

6,680 posts, read 5,327,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Not really. Iím recently widowed and for this tax year I am still married, next year I will be single. When I buy my next house, I will be single. Widow is more a social term now.
So sorry to hear that Tally's Mom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 12:36 AM

9,297 posts, read 3,169,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm lifelong legally single. I just closed on a property Friday. I've met various people at restaurants, bars, etc.., since then. I've gotten the impression from them that being a single male property owner is "weird."

I don't see myself marrying. This "condition" will likely persist. It's unlikely that I'll marry or have kids within the next couple of years.

As you aged and remained or become single, how did you handle it? Logistically and socially? Do you feel discriminated against because you choose to remain legally single?

There are almost countless reasons why many people are single. You can't accurately generalize about the causes. Some single people couldn't even tell you why they don't have a mate. Just one of the possible reasons, is that some may have had extended family duties that precluded having a romantic relationship during their best years for doing that.

Old 09-18-2019, 06:09 AM

4,231 posts, read 10,187,376 times
When I bought a condo in 1988 at the ripe old age of 24 my mortgage paperwork had me listed as a "spinster!"

Old 09-18-2019, 06:17 AM

12,295 posts, read 5,438,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
When I bought a condo in 1988 at the ripe old age of 24 my mortgage paperwork had me listed as a "spinster!"
LOL, I'm not even sure what the big deal is. No matter how you are listed on the deed, it doesn't affect your life.
I was simply explaining how one could be "legally single" when buying property because is was a source of curiosity on several posts. I've bought and sold 3 homes since the 1980s and am now in the process of buying my final retirement home. In all cases I am listed as "a single man" because I've never been married. It's one of 3 options given when you fill out the paperwork and appears on the final deed. It's also quite possible this may vary from state to state, I don't know.
It's not a big deal but some people seem to be very sensitive to being legally labeled as "unmarried" vs "single" on property deeds.

Old 09-18-2019, 06:43 AM

Location: Southern California native, last 20 yrs in Milwaukee Wisc.
1,250 posts, read 3,455,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
I'm confused, sorry, but what is the difference between 'lifelong legally single' and not legally single?

I don't get this either. Really, I don't get the entire post. I've known numerous single peeps that have bought houses and I never heard one say that they were queried or "discriminated" against.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:22 AM

8,043 posts, read 11,831,948 times
In terms of loans I think there may be some hesitation on the part of some conservative banks or bank officers. Single income. Not to mention I think having a family is viewed as being more stable, motivated to find work if you lose it etc. Banks are run by people. People have opinions and make judgements. Couple being single with being a single woman and its not so far fetched, at least in the past, to run into some conservative old guy who thinks he knows better than you what you need in life.

Old 09-18-2019, 07:44 AM

1,836 posts, read 2,528,455 times
Here is some information on marital status when buying property. Apparently the distinction has to do with your property transfer rights. It only relates to divorce, and not to someone who is widowed.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.qui...ld-title-2/amp

Not sure what any of this has to do with the OP’s original question. If these challenges exist, wouldn’t they be experienced by ANY single person, regardless of hown(or why) they became single?

Old 09-18-2019, 11:40 AM

5,473 posts, read 3,566,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post

There are almost countless reasons why many people are single. You can't accurately generalize about the causes. Some single people couldn't even tell you why they don't have a mate. Just one of the possible reasons, is that some may have had extended family duties that precluded having a romantic relationship during their best years for doing that.
But that is a reason due very much to the psychological makeup and psyche of the person. That reason is trying to couch a lack of romantic relationships (or having one significant other) in altruistic and self-sacrificing terms to make a person look sacrificial and as if they are always putting someone else before their own needs - rather than the true reasons which lie in the psychological makeup, psyche, behavior, choices, or essence as a person.

Old 09-18-2019, 11:42 AM

1,433 posts, read 2,465,051 times
FWIW, when I bought my properties, I was listed as "an unmarried woman". I'm a life long single, never married. I bought my homes in the early 80's and in 1994.

Things may not always appear to be equal among individuals, but I never felt discriminated against by being single. LOL, I feel there are too many positives for being single to feel that way .

Old 09-18-2019, 11:53 AM

5,473 posts, read 3,566,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

The social expectation is to be married and have kids. I live in a conservative area. If a man is unmarried and a property owner, they're going to think he is "***** hopper" at best or gay. It's just a different mindset here.
I don't know what the ***** stands for - but obviously means woman hopper(?). As far as being considered as possibly gay in this situation, you have posted several times that you are bisexual and have had gay experiences in the past and also gay experience in more recent times (depending on the definition of recent) so anyone thinking you might be gay or bisexual is not inaccurate, even though you have chosen to have a heterosexual relationship with your recent ex-girlfriend with the bad hips.

I think you're talking to the wrong people in your current environment, and that there are plenty of people in your locale who would not think it is odd for a 32 year old or 34 year old man to have a condo. And just because a couple of people think it's odd or questioned it, it doesn't mean the rest of 1000's of people in your region think so.

You're doing what people on CD often do - because a couple people (or even just one or two) mention something, they exaggerate and extrapolate and apply it to 100's or 1000's of others, when it's really just a couple of people or just a few who think something.

But you can rest assured that it is not common thinking to think you're a certain way because you're not married at age 32 or 34, and because you've bought a condo as a single person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement