U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 11:00 PM

24,549 posts, read 18,285,184 times

Advertisements

I'm lifelong legally single. I just closed on a property Friday. I've met various people at restaurants, bars, etc.., since then. I've gotten the impression from them that being a single male property owner is "weird."

I don't see myself marrying. This "condition" will likely persist. It's unlikely that I'll marry or have kids within the next couple of years.

As you aged and remained or become single, how did you handle it? Logistically and socially? Do you feel discriminated against because you choose to remain legally single?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 11:25 PM

13,468 posts, read 25,894,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I'm lifelong legally single. I just closed on a property Friday. I've met various people at restaurants, bars, etc.., since then. I've gotten the impression from them that being a single male property owner is "weird."

I don't see myself marrying. This "condition" will likely persist. It's unlikely that I'll marry or have kids within the next couple of years.

As you aged and remained or become single, how did you handle it? Logistically and socially? Do you feel discriminated against because you choose to remain legally single?
I have felt that people think there is something wrong with me because I'm not divorced, but am always single. This is more of a social thing than a legal/financial thing. Like women are supposed to be in perpetual waiting to become married/parent and not go on trips alone, buy property alone or even buy a new couch alone.

For what it's worth, I'm F, 66 and retired in the Mountain West. I spent most of my adult life in the Boston penumbra and didn't know what a bubble that was.

Old 09-16-2019, 12:03 AM

39,984 posts, read 48,594,471 times
I'm confused, sorry, but what is the difference between 'lifelong legally single' and not legally single?

Old 09-16-2019, 01:31 AM

16,622 posts, read 10,583,527 times
I also have been single my whole life, currently 70. Bought my 1st house when I was 30. Moved a bit so have sought/sold several properties since then.

Maybe it's the company I keep or the area I live in but I know quite a few singles, male and female, who own houses, Some also rentals.

I've never felt any discomfort or discrimination pertaining to home ownership.

Old 09-16-2019, 02:03 AM

18,235 posts, read 23,621,014 times
I never felt like people thought I was weird when I bought properties as a single woman. They might have hit on me or tried to fix me up with someone lol, but I never got the feeling they thought it was weird that I could buy a place on my own. It just seems like a lot of people just start immediately thinking in terms of finding you a partner, their minds go into matchmaking mode.

Old 09-16-2019, 02:44 AM

534 posts, read 461,087 times
But, did you discuss your status as property-owning single with people in the restaurants, bars, etc.? In my humble opinion, it’s none of anyone’s business except the real-estate tax authorities. And, they don’t give any discount based upon the number of owners and their marital / partnership status.

Old 09-16-2019, 03:14 AM

4,597 posts, read 2,760,510 times
I didn't get married til i was 39. My OH was 43. First marriage for both of us.
Prior to that, i WAS paying what they called a "single surcharge " when i traveled.

Otherwise i was rarely looked at as weird, especially since couples are waiting to get married. I might have been thought to be gay though, as a single male with no wifey at home.

Do they think of you as gay, serious? (Who knows maybe you are)

If not and they ask probing questions, just give them the "NOYB" Speech.

Best to you as you grapple with it.

Old 09-16-2019, 04:40 AM

12,285 posts, read 5,423,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

There's nothing to handle and no, I don't feel discriminated against. If anything, it shows you manage your money well enough that you can afford to buy a home without 2 incomes. The bigger question to me is why you feel the need to discuss your marriage status with strangers in restaurants and bars and then feel uncomfortable.

Last edited by marino760; 09-16-2019 at 04:50 AM..

Old 09-16-2019, 04:49 AM

6,712 posts, read 3,482,833 times
Curious — what’s with the “legally single” part?
Can one be “illegally” single?

We’ve had lots of single male friends, and no one thinks they are weird.

Old 09-16-2019, 04:55 AM

12,285 posts, read 5,423,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Curious — what’s with the “legally single” part?
Can one be “illegally” single?

We’ve had lots of single male friends, and no one thinks they are weird.
"Single" is a legal term used for people that are not divorced or widowed and never married. It's used for example when acquiring a mortgage when the bank wants to know who you are and asks that question on paperwork. It also appears on deeds to properties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement