U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2019, 09:28 AM

6,654 posts, read 5,306,899 times

Advertisements

What would be an example of an article about toxic masculinity or whatever its called?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2019, 09:31 AM

6,654 posts, read 5,306,899 times
So what does “toxic masculinity,” or “traditional masculinity ideology,” mean? Researchers have defined it, in part, as a set of behaviors and beliefs that include the following:

Suppressing emotions or masking distress

Maintaining an appearance of hardness

Violence as an indicator of power (think: “tough-guy” behavior)

In other words: Toxic masculinity is what can come of teaching boys that they can’t express emotion openly; that they have to be “tough all the time”; that anything other than that makes them “feminine” or weak.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:22 AM

289 posts, read 104,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
Can you play tennis, or are you interested in learning? In the groups I play in, there are far more single women than men.

Thank you, that is a good idea. I have also thought about pickleball, but I have no idea what it is. I see the seniors classes at my local park district, but often they are during working hours. How can I go to a Tuesday 10 AM class? One of the many reasons I can't wait to retire. On the days that I go in late or have a day off I am amazed at the amount of people on the street or in the store. There seems to be a lot of people that are either no working or working different hours. I want to join the "retired" group. Healthcare costs scare me, but I am thinking it might be worth it due to lower stress and having time to do things like take that pickleball class.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:27 AM

546 posts, read 206,931 times
Men looking for women after child-bearing age is past need to ask themselves: what would I have to offer a woman at this point in her life? That's it. And then examine what YOU are looking for in a woman.

See if those two points of view coincide. Draw a Venn diagram.

If you put yourself in the other person's place you are more than halfway to finding your next partner (mainly because you are willing to look at things from the other person's point of view).

Some women are looking for love and that is wonderful, but after a certain amount of life experience we women have been there and done that, some was good, some was bad.

Widows from happy marriages are your best bet. They liked being married.
Not all widows were happily married of course
Never-married women are the least likely but lightning can strike.
If my spouse died I can't imagine finding another man as right for me as he is so dating would be zero interest.
The way men think there are few older women to date I feel that way about older men.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:52 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,866,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
Hardly a day goes by without an article in major media like the New York Times or Washington Post about “toxic masculinity “ or “the patriarchy.” The hostility towards men and masculinity in America is so pervasive though that it’s hard to see it anymore unless you spend significant time outside the U.S., as I do, where the “toxic masculinity/patriarchy” stereotypes are absent. My wife, for one, clearly sees it. We have a home in the U.S. while our children are attending high school and my wife stays there during the school year while I’m in Asia most of the time on business. She reports that there’s a difference between the way many women — particularly older American women — treat her when we’re out together in public versus when she’s by herself. Together, there’s an aloofness or frostiness that she never experiences when she’s by herself. Initially she thought it was racism but now sees that I have to be present to stir it up so it’s some sort of convoluted sexism instead.
So, no specific articles about toxic masculinity and no scientific studies about ED and submissive men?

And your anecdote about how your wife perceives she’s treated with and without you is just that, an anecdote.

Perhaps you’re exaggerating for effect.

But, please, continue to school us about your observations on all the things we’re unable to see.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:58 AM

73,585 posts, read 73,419,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
So what does “toxic masculinity,” or “traditional masculinity ideology,” mean? Researchers have defined it, in part, as a set of behaviors and beliefs that include the following:

Suppressing emotions or masking distress

Maintaining an appearance of hardness

Violence as an indicator of power (think: “tough-guy” behavior)

In other words: Toxic masculinity is what can come of teaching boys that they can’t express emotion openly; that they have to be “tough all the time”; that anything other than that makes them “feminine” or weak.
if i had a feminine side i don't think my masculine side would like that side of me .. i think it would know me for the floozy i really was

Old 09-19-2019, 11:27 AM

12,670 posts, read 12,829,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011KTM530 View Post
I seriously don’t know. I’ve looked at dating sites but there are no women like me or even close to where I live. I’m not like others my age, I’m 59. I’m into living a healthy lifestyle, I don’t own a TV, I listen to alternative rock music, ride dirt bikes, mountain bike, ect. There are NO unicorns my age, none. Women my “age” tend to be sedentary and just want to eat. No thanks.
That's a chronic problem. Women who grew up before Title IX never participated in competitive sports, physical conditioning or an active lifestyle. They are leading the way into couchpotatohood. All they want to do is sit around and talk. The most active thing they will consider is going out to dinner. The older they get the worse it gets.

Old 09-19-2019, 11:55 AM

4,740 posts, read 4,640,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp61616 View Post
Thank you, that is a good idea. I have also thought about pickleball, but I have no idea what it is. I see the seniors classes at my local park district...
Pickleball is sort of like "miniature tennis". The court is about half-sized and played with hard paddles and plastic balls. Many of the rules are similar to tennis, but different enough that I goof up a lot. I like "crashing the net" in tennis, but you can't do that in pickleball. I played for a short while but decided to stop because I was too competitive and really didn't like beating up on grandmother-type ladies. Just not fair to them. It's becoming quite popular and some cities even sponsor tournaments. (My local gym has four indoor tennis courts and I can confirm that the male/female ratio is in our favor, at least around here.)

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 09-19-2019, 12:06 PM

14,233 posts, read 6,830,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
Men looking for women after child-bearing age is past need to ask themselves: what would I have to offer a woman at this point in her life? That's it. And then examine what YOU are looking for in a woman.

See if those two points of view coincide. Draw a Venn diagram.

If you put yourself in the other person's place you are more than halfway to finding your next partner (mainly because you are willing to look at things from the other person's point of view).

Some women are looking for love and that is wonderful, but after a certain amount of life experience we women have been there and done that, some was good, some was bad.

Widows from happy marriages are your best bet. They liked being married.
Not all widows were happily married of course
Never-married women are the least likely but lightning can strike.
If my spouse died I can't imagine finding another man as right for me as he is so dating would be zero interest.
The way men think there are few older women to date I feel that way about older men.
For you, you should attend Trump rallies, that’s where you are going to meet your match. Lol

Old 09-19-2019, 12:12 PM

14,233 posts, read 6,830,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Pickleball is sort of like "miniature tennis". The court is about half-sized and played with hard paddles and plastic balls. Many of the rules are similar to tennis, but different enough that I goof up a lot. I like "crashing the net" in tennis, but you can't do that in pickleball. I played for a short while but decided to stop because I was too competitive and really didn't like beating up on grandmother-type ladies. Just not fair to them. It's becoming quite popular and some cities even sponsor tournaments. (My local gym has four indoor tennis courts and I can confirm that the male/female ratio is in our favor, at least around here.)
You are right, it’s getting very popular. From what I’ve read In Arizona retirement community, they are building 48 courts or something. This is what I was told from people at my pickle ball. It was started by a 60 year old.
A bit of tennis, a bit of badminton, a bit of ping pong. A lot of former tennis players are in my pickleball court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or