Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 11:38 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibay View Post
Doesn't getting married mean you're .
Yes, which is exactly why I stated I would not re-marry. I also have to say that I would side-eye any elderly person wanting to marry at that stage in life. I'd wonder what they had up their sleeve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2019, 12:46 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibay View Post

Doesn't getting married mean you're signing up for the good and the bad when it comes to health?

Not that long term care insurance shouldn't be part of the equation at some point because people do sometimes reach a point where spouses/partners can't take care of one another, but to go into a relationship with an attitude of "if you get sick I'm outta here" seems really odd to me. It's not just you, it's a pretty common opinion. Maybe that's why it's better for some people to stay single.
Very few people can afford long term care insurance, and a lot of people do not have it. It is expensive.

There are also some drawbacks in having it, as to rising prices and the provider company possibly going out of business.

Old 09-27-2019, 12:31 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,398,741 times
The formula that has worked for us after many years of learning is to buy in an established neighborhood fairly close to the central core. And then get involved, to make it an even better neighborhood. Several new homes we owned were next to vacant land that eventually became strip centers, gas stations etc. I suppose one would be safe next to a cemetery
And as an aside, this is about the least progressive place I have ever lived which I gather is how most like it.

Old 09-27-2019, 12:53 PM

106,651 posts, read 108,790,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Very few people can afford long term care insurance, and a lot of people do not have it. It is expensive.

There are also some drawbacks in having it, as to rising prices and the provider company possibly going out of business.
States have guarantee funds for insurance products but they are rarely needed ...they just merge the customer base on to a healthy insurer

Old 09-29-2019, 01:53 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,018,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
To add to my prior post...

There is one final thing I started noticing when I hit middle age. Barbara Walters even mentioned this, as to herself, once. Men sometimes have an attitude that you should be grateful they are going out with you. Because after all, they can go out with much younger women. A man said to me once something like, "You know, I usually go out with younger women. But I made an exception in your case." He thought he was giving me a compliment. I'm guessing women who read that will know how offensive that was. As if I should get down on my knees, "Thank you so much! I'm so lucky that you decided to go out with someone as old as I am!" Pair that with the fact that he was sickly and a bit unattractive (but he was a great guy with a phenomenal voice...I have a thing for voices...he had a show on the local radio station). He was also a neighbor, so we had gotten to know each other.
Also, I have heard comments too many times that single women of a certain age are desperate and will do and put up with anything to "have a man" <gawd how I hate that>. I'm not a violent person but this is when I start to feel like giving a good sock in the kisser. Granted, some women are like that but most of the single women I know most definitely are not.

Old 09-29-2019, 01:20 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
My goodness, bpollen. I would have knocked that guy out cold. He would have received the truth from me, nothing but the truth from this old woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement