U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 01:38 PM

3,777 posts, read 1,954,256 times

Advertisements

I'd rather not judge people.

Winers, losers, whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 01:52 PM

3 posts, read 126 times
If it was me as a person who asked this question in this case , I would definitely be looking within my heart to get clarification . I also guess that looking into a society in which we live in now is all about how much time is put into hard work and efforts along with sweat to make thriving worth living much easier. What happened to our sense of helping each other face to face in person nowadays? The need for materialism is drowning our days with self ego and much pride. Why not fill the heart with care for other people plus compassion on the other hand is good!

Old 09-16-2019, 01:56 PM

4,542 posts, read 4,825,223 times
Oh my...

Old 09-16-2019, 03:00 PM

3,073 posts, read 1,670,719 times
The answer to what seems to be your first question is that I consider older people to be both lucky & survivors.

To what seems to be your second question about living life I will bow to a quote from Steve Jobs. I only came across it very recently but it resonated because it pretty much verbalized how I have tried to mostly live my life despite how odd others may feel my path was.

“Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.” - Steve Jobs

Old 09-16-2019, 03:11 PM

3,615 posts, read 1,703,394 times
I'm not in a position to determine something like that about others, and I have never compared my life to others so it isn't going to happen now.

Old 09-16-2019, 03:17 PM

37 posts, read 5,064 times
Being a loser or winner is not about what you achieve in life, it it about your mindset.

Old 09-16-2019, 04:04 PM

5,529 posts, read 3,180,059 times
I consider "older" to be 65 and older.

A measure of success in life might be whether you eat Alpo or store brand for supper, depending on your individual situation.

There is some satisfaction in being a survivor as opposed to being long deceased.

Old 09-16-2019, 07:40 PM

26,476 posts, read 33,506,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
After, say, 50, or in retirement, does it make sense to consider yourself and others winners or losers in life?
No. That makes no sense to me at all.

Old 09-16-2019, 07:47 PM

364 posts, read 119,029 times
I think some people prepared better for old age. I did not save enough $ so I guess I'm a "loser" to some. But then again, the economy screwed me (stock investments, loss of job) as it did many so if we're "losers" it's often due to the economy/government.

I know tons of people who lost tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of dollars in the recession, and I also know many who lost their jobs in their 50's and never were able to get another one. Losers in the lotto of bad governing, out-sourcing jobs, employers not hiring older people? Yes.

But ultimately I think being a "winner" or "loser" is also a question of are you happy or not, content or not, satisfied or not with your life.

Who cares? It is what it is.
Some are better off than others and that's the way the world is.
Being a "loser" connotates failure and I think often the failure is not the fault of the individual but the fault of the government and economy as it was in the big 2007? recession.

Was a guy a failure because he was laid off of his job due to a recession, couldn't get another one because of people not being willing to hire him due to his age, and thus retired without much money?
I think not.

Old 09-16-2019, 08:11 PM

829 posts, read 152,270 times
I'm a "winner" to myself. Doesn't matter if anyone else agrees with me or not. Some people are simply less energetic and don't desire the same things that others do. Waking up in the morning and getting things accomplished throughout the day is a win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement