Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 08:58 AM

749 posts, read 580,033 times

Advertisements

After, say, 50, or in retirement, does it make sense to consider yourself and others winners or losers in life?
Question bothers me.
What is a loser, anyway? Someone who has never done anything much?
Drug addict? Or someone, like myself, who has not achieved their life goals and expectations
Such as marriage, or admirable LTR, career job satisfaction? I have not achieved that, having failed to get really good well paying jobs--- and love. Only lost love.
Some say loners and weirdos are losers (unfairly) and some
say if you lost all your money, bankrupt. Not to mention criminal types.
What makes you a winner? Big success, nice family?
This is bound and determined by culture because western values differ from the poorest nations.

Does happiness make you a winner? What you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 09:02 AM

2,873 posts, read 2,060,521 times
I prefer fortunate and not so fortunate. What if you’re a winner and don’t share your good fortunes with those not so fortunate, what does that make you?

We support my MIL 100 financially. I could take the view that she is preventing us from retiring. That’s a glass half empty. I prefer to be extremely thankful that we have the means, we both love our jobs and it would be awful to live so well while allowing her to live on literally rice and beans.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:12 AM

515 posts, read 360,089 times
Comparing yourself to others is not productive. You never know what struggles people have had. I went to college with a guy that did so well he retired at age 50. Things were going great! Then he got divorced and his mother got sick. He paid her medical bills for 12 years. Those costs wiped him out. He is now 62, and gets by on social security and pet sitting. So you never know. Looking at my old friend, is he a "loser?" I don't think so, but to the casual observer he might appear to be so. All you can do is try to be the best person you can be. Life can throw you curve balls.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:14 AM

130,170 posts, read 12,093,129 times
What does age have to do with it anyhow?
Plus we all have different definitions of what is a "loser" I dare say mine is very different to many

Old 09-16-2019, 09:16 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Everyone loses eventually. I haven't figured out how to be immortal yet.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:26 AM

17,341 posts, read 11,274,075 times
People are individuals regardless of age.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:27 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
I don’t know why people have to be thought of as “winners” or losers. I think people who think that way tell me more about themselves, than they do about others.

Life is not a win vs lose competition, unless you make it so.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:29 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Everyone loses eventually. I haven't figured out how to be immortal yet.
I have! -- "Jesus said: “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; 26 and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. ..." (John 11:25-26)

He also had something to say about gaining and losing:

"What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul?" (Matt. 16:26)

Old 09-16-2019, 09:46 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
After, say, 50, or in retirement,
does it make sense to consider yourself and others winners or losers in life?
Is the context financial security or grandchildren progressing in life or ...?
Quote:
What you think?
The answers are obvious. Focus on what makes you happy.

Old 09-16-2019, 10:00 AM

176 posts, read 129,191 times
Very few of us get everything in life we wanted or aspired to. Even those born to great wealth don't always find contentment or trustworthy companionship. To me a loser is, as the saying goes, a person who can tell you the price of everything and the value of nothing.

I have known people over the years who have measured themselves by others, their homes, cars, other possessions. I'd say the only thing that matters is what your true friends and close family ( unless they are just a mess) think and more importantly what you think of yourself. People who are impressed and seek your friendship solely due to your address, car, clothes etc. are not friends and those things do not make you a worthy human being. Having empathy and taking the actions that you have within your means, be it money or time or simply standing up to help others who need it and can not help themselves make you a person worth knowing. I suppose you can call that a winner vs a loser.

Did you help others when you could ( and I do not mean money necessarily) or were you the one who always took help from others but never once said thank you. What are you going to do with what is left of your life to make up for that, give you talent or time to others less fortunate?

Do you see a person of a different economic status, nationality, color, religion, sex or sexual orientation as something less than your self? Well, that one makes you a loser in most peoples books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement