U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2019, 08:02 AM

7,681 posts, read 1,748,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Earlier today I went to a weekly meeting of older gents - 55 plus - that I go to about once a month. It has no specific focus except dealing with issues related to aging. There is a volunteer moderator and any topic can come up from off the floor. Individual health issues is discouraged - because who wants to sit with a group of old guys complaining about their aches and pains? Strategies for improving or maintaining health is okay. Today the topics were mostly light stuff like movies, fall festivals, and even home decoration.
I think every town should have something like that, but for women and/or couples, too!

Do you know how your group was started?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2019, 10:34 AM
JRR

3,937 posts, read 2,358,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
The weather here in Philly - once again - doesn't change gradually but the beginning of a new season sometimes arrives suddenly. Just three days ago it was a hot and humid summer day - 93 degrees with a blazing sun causing my porch plants to droop; and wham! that very night is dropped to 63. Right now it's a cool ... even chilly ... mid 50's and very overcast. The trees, while still green, have a golden blush and there are some random bronze leaves at the tips (fall color peaks here about Nov. 1st.)

Many of my friends and neighbors love autumn as their favorite season. My favorite is spring ... I rejoice at the flowering trees such as cherry, crab apple, magnolia, and dogwood.
I pretty much agree with you on this. While I really like autumn, spring would have to be my favorite. The flowering trees, shrubs and bulbs make for a wonderful procession. It seems like every week there is something new that has opened up for viewing.

Due to the weather, autumn is running late here. Even the hummingbirds are hanging around; usually by this time they are gone.

Old 10-06-2019, 11:05 AM

5,828 posts, read 3,110,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I think every town should have something like that, but for women and/or couples, too!

Good ideas, all. I bet the men-only part is so that members can discuss “male problems” without the embarrassment of women listening. Would women want men around if they talk about “female problems”? Even though it would educate all, some people just would not want to talk at all.

Old 10-06-2019, 11:19 PM

22,619 posts, read 12,532,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post

It started in a community center about 8 or 9 years ago. The community center has many other groups - including a meditation group.

This is one of the benefits of living in a bigger city. There are organizations, community centers, free or very low cost health clinics, and so on. In smaller towns maybe churches can sponsor such a group. Some of the problems older people face are mundane things like learning how to use modern technology such as social media. I confess I only mastered about half of the applications of my smart phone and need a tutorial on that ... and there are classes for that but I've just been too lazy.

Old 10-07-2019, 07:46 AM

11,237 posts, read 12,742,383 times
The last thing I want to do is sit around listening to a bunch of old guys complain.

Anyway 28 degrees this morning, woke up sobbing last night, the loss of my dog last week is just killing me. Snow forecast Wednesday.

Old 10-07-2019, 10:32 AM

242 posts, read 199,755 times
Jim, I am concerned about you. It is remarkable how much you loved your dog. You expressed that many times in your posts in the past. It is understandable that you are in great pain. But, you sound more than devastated. You have been through a lot - girlfriend breakup, continuous assaults on your peace and privacy from bikers and partiers, frustrations seeking a better rental, and recently moving to a new town. I think you would benefit from sharing your feelings with a mental health professional.

We all need help from time to time. I hope you find someone to talk to.

Your friends here on CD care.

Old 10-07-2019, 10:49 AM

^ Thanks but I can't afford to see a shrink, would have to drive 3-4 hours to see one and wouldn't anyway. Yes I am devastated over his death, my dog was all I had.

I go fishing, and walks in the woods. Just not the same.

I suppose in time, this heartbreak shall pass.

Old 10-07-2019, 11:02 AM

4,957 posts, read 3,434,899 times
Jim, it's pretty normal in my humble opinion. I think many of us understand the importance of a pet in our lives. I've cried buckets over some of mine. It's just not easy losing something you love.

Keep talking about it here. We understand and maybe can give some comfort to you.

When you are ready, and if you are interested, finding another rescue buddy would help you.
Good luck. Yes, we at C-D do care.

Old 10-07-2019, 11:33 AM

4,877 posts, read 3,850,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
^ Thanks but I can't afford to see a shrink, would have to drive 3-4 hours to see one and wouldn't anyway. Yes I am devastated over his death, my dog was all I had.
Talkspace provides online counseling with licensed professionals via unlimited messaging at $260 per month. You don't have to go anywhere or see someone face to face. They have an $80 off deal until next Saturday - that's $160 for the first month's counseling.

https://lp.talkspace.com/try/mh80

Another option is Breakthrough (a subsidiary of MDLive), which provides videoconferencing but is more expensive ($99 per video session). All counselors are licensed with both Breakthrough and Talkspace and vetted by the online provider.

https://www.mdlive.com/counseling

Old 10-07-2019, 12:32 PM

$260????????? Let's see I guess I wouldn't eat for a month. Hahahahaha. Thanks anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or