U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 04:52 PM

2,308 posts, read 993,559 times

Advertisements

Here in Florida I know of several retirees who have bought a used pickup and small trailer, mower, trimmer, and gas blower and started mowing lawns for people. Itís amazing how many people here donít take care of their own lawns. At $120.00 a month (approximately)times 15-20 lawns thatís not bad money for a retiree for 2-3 days work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 05:39 PM

3,437 posts, read 1,184,169 times
I read through the whole thread after posting. I wouldn't go into business without knowing something about business. Courses to support small business are available at most community and junior colleges, often taught by people with business experience and/or an MBA.

If you don't get some sort of basic business training you very likely will make every mistake in the book, and it's not necessary to reinvent the wheel like that. You need a formal business plan, to start with. A clear understanding of your goals, your market, and your financial needs.

Old 09-21-2019, 06:14 PM

1,232 posts, read 874,626 times
Studied all this stuff until the cows came home.

Sorry I did not buy a McDonald's 30 years ago. Would now have several I am sure. And unwinding now I am sure.

McDonald's has the full game plan..

Old 09-21-2019, 06:27 PM

527 posts, read 198,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Here in Florida I know of several retirees who have bought a used pickup and small trailer, mower, trimmer, and gas blower and started mowing lawns for people. Itís amazing how many people here donít take care of their own lawns. At $120.00 a month (approximately)times 15-20 lawns thatís not bad money for a retiree for 2-3 days work.
I live in South Florida and lawn mowing is brutally hot business in the summer which is when snowbirds are away and the grass grows fast. It is not easy-peasy and everyone/anyone and his brother is in competition with each other because all it takes is enough money for a riding mower and put your name on craigslist. It is not a country job for old men.

In the winter (nice weather) grass does not grow unless there is irrigation, that is usually only in HOA's and those are mowed by MegaMower Corp not individual people. Much less work, much less money.

My lawn mower guy just died suddenly a couple days after I saw him. I got a call saying he was gone in 2 days. He looked to be in his 50's, worked for me a year and half on 2 properties, hired from craigslist, I googled his name and he had a police record which probably kept him from an easier job. Did the heat kill him? Didn't help, but lack of healthcare was probably more of a factor.

Old 09-21-2019, 06:34 PM

3,437 posts, read 1,184,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
Studied all this stuff until the cows came home.

Sorry I did not buy a McDonald's 30 years ago. Would now have several I am sure. And unwinding now I am sure.

McDonald's has the full game plan..
I wouldn't own a McMurder if it were given to me, coated in gold. The meat, if I understand correctly, comes from cows raised in deforested land in the Amazon. The story on the chicken is even worse. Money isn't everything.

Old 09-21-2019, 06:42 PM

4,981 posts, read 5,122,598 times
Buy shares in a REIT, e.g. VNQ, pays a 4% dividend.

Old 09-21-2019, 06:43 PM

6,644 posts, read 5,294,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
I live in South Florida and lawn mowing is brutally hot business in the summer which is when snowbirds are away and the grass grows fast. It is not easy-peasy and everyone/anyone and his brother is in competition with each other because all it takes is enough money for a riding mower and put your name on craigslist. It is not a country job for old men.

In the winter (nice weather) grass does not grow unless there is irrigation, that is usually only in HOA's and those are mowed by MegaMower Corp not individual people. Much less work, much less money.

My lawn mower guy just died suddenly a couple days after I saw him. I got a call saying he was gone in 2 days. He looked to be in his 50's, worked for me a year and half on 2 properties, hired from craigslist, I googled his name and he had a police record which probably kept him from an easier job. Did the heat kill him? Didn't help, but lack of healthcare was probably more of a factor.
it is very hard work.

They mentioned 120 a month. Must be small yards. We pay that much for just one cut and trim.

Old 09-21-2019, 08:55 PM

919 posts, read 253,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Do a bit more research.... Coin laundries are a tough business, with narrow margins, and like other small businesses they often fail. They are not as much of a walk away business as you might initially assume. Like other businesses expect a to put in a lot of work to operate one. Also expect to drop a bundle into rent, renovations, equipment, licenses, insurance, etc.
^^^This!
Laundromat means machines, they break, get repaired, get abused, they break again. Water, gas- cost money- the building needs to be taken care of as well - the plumber, electrician on call. Liability- the idiots climb on the machines, slip and fall- plenty of detergents could get spilled, dryer catch a fire - somebody washed an oil soaked uniform...
There is no off hands business..
Start a popular YouTube channel- cats seem to get an attention of millions

Last edited by Nik4me; 09-21-2019 at 09:13 PM..

Old Yesterday, 04:25 AM

1,232 posts, read 874,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I wouldn't own a McMurder if it were given to me, coated in gold. The meat, if I understand correctly, comes from cows raised in deforested land in the Amazon. The story on the chicken is even worse. Money isn't everything.
Money is everything..

Old Yesterday, 04:36 AM

73,535 posts, read 73,335,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Buy shares in a REIT, e.g. VNQ, pays a 4% dividend.
they were looking for a passive business not a passive investment ... the investment is where you put the money you make from the business .

we owned a passive real estate business ... it was an actual LLC . it was pretty passive since we had both a senior partner and a real estate mgmt company handling the daily chores . but we owned a business ...reits are akin to owning stocks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or