U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:34 PM

4,233 posts, read 1,642,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
a business that generates tax free cash ????? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ...what does that mean ? it sure don't sound legal .
Sorry - I forgot to use the sarcasm font. My bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 11:00 AM

8,275 posts, read 5,225,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp61616 View Post
The wider question posed by the OP seems to be looking for a business. I am sure there are ones out there, but for me I'm not working when I retire. So a real estate REIT might be something I put some funds in. Right now I already have ETFs in healthcare and technology. But whatever helps you sleep at night.
Exactly. The OP represents a wider culture, which contends that only direct participation in some enterprise - such as business or real-estate - is stable, honorable and properly lucrative. Passive investment, be it in stocks or REITs, smacks of the con-job, the pyramid scheme, the lousy and the devious.

For me, the point isn't about working vs. being a rentier... though I'd much rather be a rentier. Rather, the point is, that the more distant I am from the actual mechanics of how cash is generated, the greater the likelihood of success.

Old Today, 11:15 AM

3,806 posts, read 2,904,375 times
My uncle lived in Nevada. He bought part ownership in a brothel and made good money---for awhile. But that all ended when his wife got suspicious of his business trips to Reno. She hired a private Dick, and discovered the fringe benefits to his passive income.

Old Today, 11:29 AM

8,429 posts, read 5,175,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
I think drug dealers generate tax free cash.

So do panhandlers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or