U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 01:59 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
23,173 posts, read 40,694,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
I’m in education, now, ...

I’m good a math, ...

Even if I had the best job in the world and was very well paid, though, early retirement would still be on my radar.
forget EDU as a career to 'tolerate'
  • students deserve better
  • it will only pay the bills.
  • You have to stay a LONG time to get a pension (and you want FIRE)

I’m good a math, ...

CPA is also a 'slow way' to success (and you have to WORK)

Get your Actuary certs.
https://www.beanactuary.org/exams/

Actuary average salary in 2014 was just over $110,000 and the middle 50% earned between $72,390 and $136,110. Given the recession of the past few years and the jittery economy, this salary range promises a bright future to potential actuaries.

If you are GOOD and outside of the mainline J-O-B-S, you will earn 2x that very easily ($150k+)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 10:11 PM

13,964 posts, read 10,023,333 times
... And then there are those dreamers who wish to go off-grid, be subsistence farmers, and live close to the land. They don't want / need money - just ownership of land (i.e. private property).
... So you can become their sugar daddy, fund a land purchase, and sit back as the 'land lord' taking a modest cut of their harvest, and living the good life.

Old 09-21-2019, 01:22 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,024,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
... And then there are those dreamers who wish to go off-grid, be subsistence farmers, and live close to the land. They don't want / need money - just ownership of land (i.e. private property).
... So you can become their sugar daddy, fund a land purchase, and sit back as the 'land lord' taking a modest cut of their harvest, and living the good life.
Reminds me a bit of medieval feudalism—I like it—especially if its in wine country and we can have an abundance of wine, honey, and goat cheese—I really like those three things. Anything fresh and green is good, though. I actually have kept bees and quail before to produce meat and honey for myself, but a disease wiped one out one winter and the other out the next winter, and I’ve never gotten around to getting more quail and bees.

I wouldn’t want to go 100% off the grid, though—maybe 60-70% off where I have my own fresh food and power, but am not completely cut off from the outside world. I just like the sensually pleasurable things in life, period, whether that be a wild blackberry I find while walking along the road in the morning (blackberries just grow randomly here and I encounter them from time to time) or an expensive aged wine paired with goat cheese or blue cheese. Price doesn’t factor into if I’ll like something or not, but the good things usually cost something (unless I find it sprouting out of the ground somewhere).

What you say may be a good long term goal—I could market it as a chance to return to the earth—a commune of sorts.

Old 09-21-2019, 01:31 PM

56,152 posts, read 75,314,021 times
Sounds like you have an eating compulsion
If you can trade it in on a few good hobbies an early retire plan is a winner

Old 09-21-2019, 08:54 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,024,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Sounds like you have an eating compulsion
If you can trade it in on a few good hobbies an early retire plan is a winner
I used to love writing and painting, I even won statewide contests in literary and fine art composition on multiple occasions. I even had some of my childhood short stories published in anthologies and my paintings placed on tour. Then everything I championed I became disillusioned with and everybody I cared about—except my mother—died one after another. Its hard for me to create beauty when all I see is ugliness. Eating is the one thing that still brings me real joy. I eat spectacular amounts of food—enough to draw crowds and the ire of buffet owners if I let myself truly eat my fill. If math, language, and art are my mental talents, eating is my bodily talent. I never pass up on a buffet or eating competition—I can eat more than anybody else. The only downside to that is I’m constantly hungry and thinking about when and how and what I’m going to eat next, when I’m not thinking about what to do make more money. As a matter of fact, in those competitive eating competitions, I usually only have to eat slightly less than I would eat in a typical meal, anyway, so I get whatever prize they offer. I don’t come across those competitions often, though. Being this hungry nonstop is a tad concerning, though. Growing up my issue was a lack of appetite, now I’ve turned that on its head.

As for actuary work, I truly am glad that field of work was brought to my attention and will study for the actuary exam right away. Considering how easy the math test to become a high school math teacher was, the actuary exam may be easier than I’m expecting, but I’d rather over-prepare than under-prepare.

Old 09-22-2019, 09:48 PM

1,800 posts, read 2,487,388 times
Yes! You can do it. I worked 2 - 3 jobs all my life and happily retired from a university, when I was only 47 yrs old. I then, got a facelift and boob job and became a stripper for the next 10 yrs. I never thought I'd go that long. Sadly, my back gave out, triple spinal fusion, and that was the end of that. But during those 10 yrs, I managed to acquire more money, working only 3 days a week, than I had EVER made, with an MA, working for a university. Since that time, since age 57, I haven't had to work, since to this day, I still have 2 "customers". It is amazing how life can work out.

Work hard, stash your cash, don't be all obsessed about it but still have fun, travel, buy great stuff to reward your efforts. You never know, you could drop dead and never get to spend it all.

Life is a balance and being kind along the way.

Old 09-24-2019, 11:40 PM

18,051 posts, read 4,334,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
I’m doing what I can to retire sooner than the norm, including working extra jobs and saving money (though I occasionally will still have a month where I binge-eat and literally eat everything I would have saved that month). For those of you who have achieved freedom from work, how do you spend your time? My friends and family (except my mother) all died young and I’m a man who must have something wrong with me because I simply do not become attracted to or aroused by anybody (I wish I did, as I am lonely, but nobody really works for me). I’ve wondered what I’ll do once I actually save enough to retire—I spend so much of my time trying to make extra money to retire, I don’t have much of a sense of self beyond not liking work but liking money.
Well im 29 and I dont have to work for others but i am still looking for a part-time job to pass the time but I dont need a job to make money and to survive.I like to go to church visit family,hang out with friends and , go to high school football games travel,hunt,camp, and fish.I also love the internet and my smart tv.Hope that answers your question a little bit,buddy.I also sleep in a lot.

Old Yesterday, 03:05 AM

2,119 posts, read 469,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Buy an RV and travel US and Canada. That should take about 10 years.
Very good advice. I'm FIRE (Financially Indep, Retired Early) and did this.

I'd also recommend OP get into fitness - it gives you a daily routine and combats that eating issue (binge).
It gives one an outlet as well and self confidence.

Old Yesterday, 09:07 AM

2,571 posts, read 3,768,037 times
To the OP, below is a link to the type of forum you may be seeking. Dedicated to those who are able to retire significantly earlier than most.

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Some of us here post on both forums. Personally, I don't find the linked forum particularly useful to me. Maybe because I am already in the age range for regular retirement. Maybe because I have major philosophical differences with the investing methods espoused by many on the linked forum. Take a look, it might be what you are seeking.

Old Today, 05:16 PM

2,119 posts, read 469,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
To the OP, below is a link to the type of forum you may be seeking. Dedicated to those who are able to retire significantly earlier than most.

Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

Some of us here post on both forums. Personally, I don't find the linked forum particularly useful to me. Maybe because I am already in the age range for regular retirement. Maybe because I have major philosophical differences with the investing methods espoused by many on the linked forum. Take a look, it might be what you are seeking.
I was a member there for awbile. It was great .motivator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement