U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 09:45 AM

864 posts, read 480,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
And Beamish.

Three good stouts.
For a supposed beer country, I found the beers remarkably similar in a small range. The US with its craft beer community actually has better and more wide ranging beers. I am not saying don’t enjoy a beer while there, I just found them almost exactly like Irish beers available in the US.

We found ourselves enjoying spirits from the local distilleries, Dingle for instance, far more unique and they are something you’d never find in the states. In fact even finding a local bottle to take home proved problematic though the local pubs always could pour you a good local whiskey, gin or vodka.

My wife’s favorite cosmo to this day was in Dingle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2019, 02:38 PM

8,354 posts, read 12,104,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
For a supposed beer country, I found the beers remarkably similar in a small range. The US with its craft beer community actually has better and more wide ranging beers. I am not saying donít enjoy a beer while there, I just found them almost exactly like Irish beers available in the US.
First of all Guinness in Ireland tastes nothing like what we are served here in the U.S. (To our great detriment.)

Secondly, comparing the craft beers available in the small country of Ireland with those available throughout the U.S. is a bit unfair. The entire Republic of Ireland is about half the size of Florida with a population much less than just the Miami metro area alone. It's no surprise then that the U.S. has better and a more wide-ranging variety of beer. Of course, the U.S. also has a greater selection of crappy beers as well, lol.

Old 09-22-2019, 02:50 PM

28,472 posts, read 40,380,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I second this. We were on a Viking cruise before flying to Dublin for our trip. Only one place we stayed in those 17 days had elevators. Those big bags got real heavy after a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Indeed.
We run a few holiday rentals in Ireland and American tourists inevitably turn up with huge suitcases for often not more than a week's vacation.
Travel light.Really light.Even then leave half of what you're planning to bring behind.
In all we were gone for 31 days. 10 on a Viking cruise, 17 in Ireland, and 4 more in Amsterdam.

We took all our dirty laundry to a small business in Ireland and they had it done the same evening. I don't remember the cost, but I do remember us thinking it was affordable for two suitcases full.

The Viking cruse we took this year (12 days) still required one large checked suitcase, and I'm trying to determine how to carry less.

Old 09-22-2019, 07:21 PM

9,364 posts, read 9,463,385 times
I'll make my advice simple.

Don't try to drive on the wrong side of the road. Go on organized tours.

I'll recommend some tour groups I've used on different trips to Ireland.

Irishtours

Paddy Wagon Tours

Irish Rail Tours.

You might aim to spend five days in Dublin and do tours three of those five days out of Dublin. Use the other two days to see sights in and around the city.

Spend two-three days in Galway. Its a beautiful city on the west side of Ireland.

Maybe round out your tour with two days in Belfast in North Ireland.

When you get a tour aim to see at least these sights:

1. Ring of Kerry.

2. Giant's Causeway and Carrick a Rede.

3. Belfast taxi tour of Catholic and Protestant neighborhoods. Honestly, a fascinating history of the conflict that has occurred in Northern Ireland.

4. Dingle Peninsula.

5. Rock of Cashel.

6. Kylemore Abbey and the Burren.

7. In Dublin don't miss the National Archaelogical Museum, the Book of Kells at Trinity College, and the Kilmainham Jail.

Old 09-22-2019, 09:18 PM

4,119 posts, read 2,143,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
For a supposed beer country, I found the beers remarkably similar in a small range. The US with its craft beer community actually has better and more wide ranging beers. I am not saying donít enjoy a beer while there, I just found them almost exactly like Irish beers available in the US.

We found ourselves enjoying spirits from the local distilleries, Dingle for instance, far more unique and they are something youíd never find in the states. In fact even finding a local bottle to take home proved problematic though the local pubs always could pour you a good local whiskey, gin or vodka.

My wifeís favorite cosmo to this day was in Dingle.
You're quite right.
In many pubs the only beers on offer are stouts and lager although there is a growing craft beer movement.
The trouble is it tends to copy the US craft beer movement which is endless copies of the same over-hopped IPA.

Old 09-22-2019, 09:39 PM

1,800 posts, read 2,489,327 times
I did a horse trek across Ireland about 10 yrs ago. It was a blast! Ended up one night near Lisdoonvarna where they have the old match making festival. I was hanging out in a bar and a couple of local guys came up to me, bought me a bunch of Guinness, and by the end of the evening, I had TWO marriage proposals! I told them I couldn't marry either one of them, since I still had to ride a couple more days to Doolin.

Happily, I've never had to do tours and that sort of thing. I've done several European horse treks and maybe now, in my old age, might have to do that grey hair, wimpy sort of tour thing.

Ireland was great. They LOVE Americans since most of them have a relative in the states. But Ireland was too USA for my tastes. I prefer the more unusual: like my horse trek in Transylvania, and camping and driving by myself on Crete.

To each their own. Stay safe! Have fun. Meet people and make memories.

Old 09-22-2019, 09:59 PM

8,354 posts, read 12,104,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I'll make my advice simple.

Don't try to drive on the wrong side of the road. Go on organized tours.
Oh c'mon, it's not that difficult or intimidating. I would much rather take my chances driving on the "wrong side of the road" than be stuck in a group tour and be told where and when I'm going somewhere, and exactly how long I have to spend there. And then the worst part of all, when you go back to the van or bus at the scheduled time, there's always some inconsiderate person or persons who are late so you're stuck sitting there waiting for them.

No thank you.

And speaking of organized tours, Thomas Cook just collapsed and immediately ceased all operations, stranding hundreds of thousands of travelers all over the world.

So much for the safety and security of organized tours.

"Longtime British tour company Thomas Cook collapsed after failing to secure rescue funding, and travel bookings for its more than 600,000 global vacationers were canceled early Monday.

The British government said the return of the firm's 150,000 British customers now abroad would be the largest repatriation in its peacetime history. The process is set to begin later Monday and officials warned that delays are inevitable.

The Civil Aviation Authority said Thomas Cook has ceased trading, its four airlines will be grounded, and its 21,000 employees in 16 countries, including 9,000 in the UK, will lose their jobs. The company several months ago had blamed a slowdown in bookings because of Brexit uncertainty for contributing to its crushing debt burden."

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/latest-n...#storylink=cpy

Old 09-22-2019, 11:02 PM

1,146 posts, read 424,130 times
The wrong side of the road is the right side for us and the Irish. DH has never had any issue with driving on the other side, but the truth is I would not even think of doing so.

But we tend to combine tours with self drive. Both have their advantages. Last year in Europe we had a two week speciality tour and then two weeks self drive. By the end of the tour we were looking forward to some time by ourselves but the tour was good for taking care of the details. Fortunately, Australians are generally punctual. I am told the French are not the best in that regard.

But I would only think you should drive if you are fairly confident with the idea. Otherwise you will feel stressed and spoil your trip.

Old 09-22-2019, 11:48 PM

52 posts, read 11,008 times
It's true I dislike Britain but it's at least more interesting than Ireland. haha also I've just had repeatedly bad experiences with Irish people here in the U.S. and I know there used to be discrimination against them so I'm just rubbing that chord as much as I can.

Old 09-23-2019, 05:09 AM

675 posts, read 907,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signs9 View Post
I totally agree with this! You want to enjoy the trip. Why add stress trying to concentrate on driving?!

We were in Ireland exactly a year ago with extended family. There were 12 of us and we used "My Ireland Tours". It's a family owned & run company. https://www.myirelandtour.com/ .

They are very flexible to work with as well as the itinerary. I believe they will do private tours. We had an amazing tour guide/driver and everyone had a wonderful time. They took us to places that I would never would have found on my own.
Thank you or the recommendtion. I will check them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or