U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:27 PM
Status: ""Sire, the peasants are revolting!" // "Indeed, they are!'" (set 6 days ago)

12,506 posts, read 7,669,157 times

Advertisements

Lee Atwater
Andrew Breitbart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:31 PM

14,151 posts, read 6,789,241 times
Glenn Frey
Prince
Michael Jackson
George Michael

Old Yesterday, 04:45 PM

6,636 posts, read 5,286,766 times
Anthony Bourdain for sure

His is the one show i would change channels for. It is hard to take in that such a happy go lucky guy was actually in so much pain.

Old Yesterday, 04:47 PM

6,913 posts, read 8,255,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I will be in really bad shape when Brian Wilson goes.
Same here, plus John Prine. I still listen often to both.

Old Yesterday, 04:58 PM

4,986 posts, read 7,971,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I will be in really bad shape when Brian Wilson goes.
I have already thought about this and agree. The innocence of my youth will be completely gone then. Well that, and whenever we lose Steve Perry down the road. Shocked to learn the other day he is 70 now!

I'm really not a big royal follower, bu I feel so bad that Princess Diana (I am the exact same age she would have been) is not here when I see pictures of her beautiful grandchildren. She would have been over the moon for them. So sad she's not around for them.

I miss the great voice of Maurice White of Earth, Wind and Fire.

And I really hate that we lost Glenn Frey and Tom Petty.

Our time, that we thought would last forever, passing by.....

Old Yesterday, 05:01 PM

4,986 posts, read 7,971,418 times
Oh, and Actor Bill Paxton. That was tough, very likeable actor.

Old Yesterday, 05:18 PM

16,610 posts, read 10,558,689 times
Erma Bombeck-funny lady

Ofra Haza- such a beautiful voice

Old Yesterday, 05:19 PM

4,586 posts, read 2,745,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Anthony Bourdain for sure

His is the one show i would change channels for. It is hard to take in that such a happy go lucky guy was actually in so much pain.
Those of us with mental anguish hide it well.

Sometimes too well. Outward appearances can be very deceiving.

My 3rd suicide attempt(2008), my OH didnt know anything was wrong, because I never said a word.
I took every prescription pill I had and downed them with a whole bottle of vodka right under my OH s nose, who only thought i was having a cocktail.

More recently, about 5 years ago, i was in the hospital for hear issues and told the doctor i want to see the psychiatric emergency program people NOW. when they arrived and i spoke my mind, my other half said to them "I didn't know any of this". I was so deeply depressed and distraught. ( I'm bipolar, prominent feature depression and severe anxiety disorder )

Those of us who attempt rarely say out loud "I'm going to (do it)". That is why some leave notes for finding AFTER it is done.

We can also fool a lot of people. I missed my mental health therapy session twice 5 years ago, and was on a bender when my therapist called to see why i had missed my appointments. I was totally blitzed (my OH was at work all day), but i convinced her i just forgot and that everything was fine. Shes a 35 year veteran of working with mental illness, and she missed it, she also missed that i was drunk off my keister.

My OH now pays attention to certain signs in my behavior and asks questions. That doesn't mean i always tell the truth though. And my OH knows if i say i want to go to the hospital, that means NOW, regardless of time of day. One sign I may be in trouble is I listen to music with headphobes on and play the same song or music over and over and over. If I'm doing that, mY OH will ask if everything is o, or if something is wrong. ( i also do the same when learning a new song, especially in another language, so my OH has to differentiate between problem and learning).

My best friend's 24 yr old son completed his act 4 years ago. He told them he was going to do it the night before, but had claimed so they thought he was bluffing again. The next morning when he didn't answer his phone they drove the 25 miles to his apartment and found him, too late. Hiscoast post on facebook was "know that I am at peace now".
As i told them: ' HIS pain is over now, but yours is just beginning ...".

The next time you meet someone who has a mental illness, or anyone you already know, ask them if you can be of help. Dont pester them, BUT if something IS wrong, take the time to LISTEN to them, and ask " what can I do "? Then DO IT, right then, not when you get time. MAKE the time. You might be their last connection to this life.

Old Yesterday, 05:23 PM

1,601 posts, read 1,502,306 times
Christopher Hitchens.

Carl Sagan.

George Carlin.

Stephen Hawking.

Jim Croce.

Old Yesterday, 05:52 PM

6,636 posts, read 5,286,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Those of us with mental anguish hide it well.

Sometimes too well. Outward appearances can be very deceiving.

My 3rd suicide attempt(2008), my OH didnt know anything was wrong, because I never said a word.
I took every prescription pill I had and downed them with a whole bottle of vodka right under my OH s nose, who only thought i was having a cocktail.

More recently, about 5 years ago, i was in the hospital for hear issues and told the doctor i want to see the psychiatric emergency program people NOW. when they arrived and i spoke my mind, my other half said to them "I didn't know any of this". I was so deeply depressed and distraught. ( I'm bipolar, prominent feature depression and severe anxiety disorder )

Those of us who attempt rarely say out loud "I'm going to (do it)". That is why some leave notes for finding AFTER it is done.

We can also fool a lot of people. I missed my mental health therapy session twice 5 years ago, and was on a bender when my therapist called to see why i had missed my appointments. I was totally blitzed (my OH was at work all day), but i convinced her i just forgot and that everything was fine. Shes a 35 year veteran of working with mental illness, and she missed it, she also missed that i was drunk off my keister.

My OH now pays attention to certain signs in my behavior and asks questions. That doesn't mean i always tell the truth though. And my OH knows if i say i want to go to the hospital, that means NOW, regardless of time of day. One sign I may be in trouble is I listen to music with headphobes on and play the same song or music over and over and over. If I'm doing that, mY OH will ask if everything is o, or if something is wrong. ( i also do the same when learning a new song, especially in another language, so my OH has to differentiate between problem and learning).

My best friend's 24 yr old son completed his act 4 years ago. He told them he was going to do it the night before, but had claimed so they thought he was bluffing again. The next morning when he didn't answer his phone they drove the 25 miles to his apartment and found him, too late. Hiscoast post on facebook was "know that I am at peace now".
As i told them: ' HIS pain is over now, but yours is just beginning ...".

The next time you meet someone who has a mental illness, or anyone you already know, ask them if you can be of help. Dont pester them, BUT if something IS wrong, take the time to LISTEN to them, and ask " what can I do "? Then DO IT, right then, not when you get time. MAKE the time. You might be their last connection to this life.

Thank you for sharing your story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement