U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 04:43 PM

196 posts, read 188,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Look at Del Web in the north west (mountains) part of SC. It is called Caroline lakes and is just below Charlette NC. Not sure why lakes is in the name but their is a river and I think you can use small boats on it.

I think it is built out by now so you might also get some good deals.

Be sure to talk to a few residences and make sur they do not have any HOA problems and maintenance is good.

I hear there is a lot more retail now. When I was there you had to drive a few miles to find anything.

I think you do get 3 seasons and can have hail (ask about it).

NO! We are looking there and are conservatives. I think you should stay in liberal land of New England. Its a better fit for you. You not want to look at our MAGA hats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:25 AM

1,531 posts, read 754,438 times
I spent time in SC. I did not see one MAGA hat.....and that would not keep me from moving to SC. SC people are wonderful.......and very friendly. Ma not so much.

Old Yesterday, 06:53 AM

13,982 posts, read 19,104,271 times
i have lived in both and am currently in sc . don't move to sc . they tax your car as personal property and also your home as well . it stinks here . I loved ma when I lived there and if my hubs would live there I would be there but he wont so it is what it is . The people in sc are rather uneducated by my standards and the economy is based on two things colleges and tourism . The politicians and city officials are so crooked here . I'm ready to go now but we have to wait until my husband retires . We are retiring to Florida better tax breaks there . Please do yourself a favor and run from Sc. Get yourself to ma . I live in sc now and am dreading moving here everyday . The libraries are underfunded as well . Every time it comes to giving money to the library most of the voting population votes it down no money for the libraries .

Old Yesterday, 06:59 AM

4,810 posts, read 4,939,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
Retirement is near. I want warm and think Sc would be good....Hubbie wants the Berkshires in Massachusetts. What do you think?

We are liberal but don't announce it, we like everyone and we're friendly. We want decent shopping and supermarkets. Lots of things to do. Good restaurants.

But most important as we get older is medical care and hospitals. Hubbie says medical care is not that good in the south. We both have some health issues.

We also want a lower COL, and even Massachusetts is better than NY, where we live now.

We both have pensions (tho mine is very small) and both will have SS...combined maybe $90- $100K. Some but not great savings (lost most in a failed business).

We only want a tiny house or even a condo or 55+ condo (however we will have 4 or 5 dogs- 1 is old and blind, so we don't know how long he has). The other dogs are young.

All and any ideas are welcome.

BTW- I miss the water (we both grew up on Long Island and now live upstate NY), but Hubbie worries about hurricanes if near the water. Thoughts.......

We looked in SC for retirement. After doing all the numbers we make out better living here in MA. We own outright so that makes a huge difference. Our housing costs are lower than more than half the country. We are set that if we don't like the weather we can leave for a while. Weather only lasts until the next front comes through. Our income in MA is untaxed. Our pensions and SS when we begin to pull that will be and are tax free. Our property taxes are much lower than neighboring state of NH with no income tax but a much higher property tax. Yes we have more fees that people complain about but our quality of life is excellent. We have all the services we need, healthcare is top notch here as is the quality of air and water. We don't live in the big city but we are not far from so many attractions and facilities.

One point I want to make though is being closer to home (current home) might be a better option due to being able to keep connections to family and friends, being closer to support that you already know and trust (doctors, mechanics, carpenters, plumbers, etc...). Sometimes the grass is not greener elsewhere.

Old Yesterday, 07:42 AM

1,679 posts, read 367,445 times
Wherever you decide to move live there for a year in a rental.
It may not be all you think it is and a rental gives you the freedom to leave.

I just moved to SC from TX. Lived in south FL before that. I love living in the south with it's slower pace of life.
If you are from up north then that slower pace may not be to your liking.

Old Yesterday, 08:37 AM

2,606 posts, read 2,986,808 times
I know SC pretty well and NC. I think they are all right for retirement, but if you wish to stay closer to Mass. maybe VA is a good inbetween. You still get the warmer weather and somewhat lower COL. All these southern states have lots of retirees from the NE. Renting first sounds like a good idea as well.

Personally, I could not take the cold winters. I lived in a few snowbelt places while in my 20s. I know when I retire, I will not live in area prone to lots of snow.

Old Yesterday, 10:09 AM

6,560 posts, read 4,923,133 times
If you are living the in upper midwest or northeast and want to retire to a warmer location, I recommend you consider all the options. The southeast will be warmer, but the summers will be ghastly with high humidity. Instead consider the southwest with much lower humidity. Some of the SW options are hotter than blazes but there are plenty of other options with more moderate summer temps.

Old Yesterday, 11:04 AM

1,531 posts, read 754,438 times
In Ma, I pay 6k for property taxes, in Sc, it will be less then 2k. In winter the pot holes are so bad, you are always blowing out a tire, and the front end of your car gets out of wack. Hard to walk, even in parking lots, especially when you get older. Black ice is the worse.
Another poster talked about libraries not being funded in SC. It isn`t any better here. Not many go to the library any more, that`s why they are not funded. Funds come from the number of people, that take out books.

Old Yesterday, 01:26 PM

14,573 posts, read 7,840,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
In Ma, I pay 6k for property taxes, in Sc, it will be less then 2k. In winter the pot holes are so bad, you are always blowing out a tire, and the front end of your car gets out of wack. Hard to walk, even in parking lots, especially when you get older. Black ice is the worse.
Another poster talked about libraries not being funded in SC. It isn`t any better here. Not many go to the library any more, that`s why they are not funded. Funds come from the number of people, that take out books.

This depends on your zip code. My Massachusetts house is in a low mil rate town. My property taxes are $2,750. It's a 10 minute walk to a well-funded library. All the main roads in town have a recent coat of asphalt. It's a mile to the beach. My girlfriend has the car so I'll ride my bike there after the Patriots game is over.

I haven't lived in the Berkshires but I've lived in Northampton. Like anywhere in Massachusetts, property taxes in the Berkshires are extremely variable. The communities around Tanglewood with all the vacation homes have low property taxes. The mill rate in distressed places like Pittsfield is approaching $20 per thousand.

Personally, my issue if I retired somewhere like Stockbridge in the Berkshires is health care. Bay State Medical in Springfield is the only real hospital in Western Mass and it's not exactly Mass General.

The OP's income sources are probably a challenge in Massachusetts. Massachusetts doesn't tax Social Security. Massachusetts doesn't tax state and local public sector pensions and doesn't tax out-of-state public sector pensions if the other state offers reciprocity. Public sector New York retirees often retire to Massachusetts. Everything else is taxed at 5.05%. The OP will likely be handing Massachusetts almost $5K in state income taxes.

Old Yesterday, 02:15 PM

13,982 posts, read 19,104,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post

have you ever lived in sc full time ? if not then how can you say ? if you have then kudos to you for skirting the
rim . the highways here are awful and pot holes ? they don't even fix those unless a politician ruins his tire on one otherwise it stays the way it is .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or