U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 07:22 AM

24,637 posts, read 18,351,862 times

Advertisements

To me, the good parts of SC (Charleston, metro Greenville, some parts of metro Columbia, and maybe some beach places) are really nice. Greenville is one of my favorite cities and I'd love to live there. Most of the rest of the state isn't that good, and well behind even the "backward" parts of Massachusetts. I lived in Orangeburg for awhile as a kid and it was awful.

If I had to pick between podunk MA and podunk SC, I'd choose MA every time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 07:33 AM

14,649 posts, read 7,909,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsoldier1976 View Post
I have lived in MA for over 30 years and driven on average 35k miles per year on my personal car and have never blown a tire hitting a pot hole. The winters are tough sometimes but sometimes it is like perfect. Yes it gets cold but if you are retired and don't have to run off to work in the middle of a snowstorm or just after it you can take your time clearing it. Also if you have time and resources take a trip south for a few months. Close up the house. Rent in new and interesting places.

MA gets a bad rap with COL type folks. It really isn't that expensive to live here than anywhere else. Yes SC may have a lower property tax but they are not as generous with taxes as some people claim.

If you live commutable to the high wage Boston job market, it's extremely high cost of living. Ditto for the zip code where those same affluent people are buying coastal vacation homes. That's about 1/3 of the state but where 2/3 of the people live so any published cost of living figures are skewed. If you're west of Worcester and beyond commuting distance to the Boston jobs, housing prices are far lower.

SC has had a law since 2007 where your primary residence isn't subject to the local school property tax. It creates big problems in the 'burbs where it's mostly owner-occupied housing with little commercial real estate to prop up the school system. Personally, I wouldn't bet on that law surviving forever.

Old 09-23-2019, 07:54 AM

3,412 posts, read 2,165,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
If you live commutable to the high wage Boston job market, it's extremely high cost of living. Ditto for the zip code where those same affluent people are buying coastal vacation homes. That's about 1/3 of the state but where 2/3 of the people live so any published cost of living figures are skewed. If you're west of Worcester and beyond commuting distance to the Boston jobs, housing prices are far lower.

SC has had a law since 2007 where your primary residence isn't subject to the local school property tax. It creates big problems in the 'burbs where it's mostly owner-occupied housing with little commercial real estate to prop up the school system. Personally, I wouldn't bet on that law surviving forever.

I'm not sure you're correct about one's primary residence not being subject to local school property tax. Can you share a link concerning this statement?

Old 09-23-2019, 08:25 AM

1,274 posts, read 404,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Huh? You're describing the climate of northern Vermont, not the Berkshires. If you're in the desirable part close to the Mass Pike (Great Barrington, Stockbridge, Lenox), it's unusual to have much in the way of snow pack before Christmas and it's normally melted by April 1.
Yes for the weather. However, there is a huge drug problem up there and little industry to support the area.

""However, it should be very clear to all by now, that The Berkshires is a hot bed of Drug Abuse. It not only has the Highest Elevation in the State (Mt. Greylock at 3,492 Feet) but, it has More People High. How did this Mecca of Museums and Culture, Safe New England American Images and Safe Music become a 21st Century Drug Den?

The Berkshires is located in the picturesque Taconic Mountain Range about 150 miles from the “Unsafe” Bronx and about 3,000 miles from “Dangerous” Tijuana, Mexico."

The Death Rate From Opioid Abuse In Massachusetts Is More Than Twice The National Average! In The Berkshires It Is No.5 In The Nation! Not 15th Or 25th, But 5th !!!!

https://www.greylockglass.com/2016/0...rkshires-next/

There are drugs in Westchester County, NY too. However, there is a good economy with able jobs which kepts the drug abuse rates down.

Old 09-23-2019, 08:44 AM

5,126 posts, read 3,611,473 times
Not once has anyone mentioned the dogs. Wherever you decide to move, check and make sure there are no restrictions on how many dogs you can have. Also, if renting, will a landlord accept 4-5 dogs?

I bring this up because when I was researching where to move people would run into problems because certain counties only accepted x # of dogs. I didn't pay that much attention to it as I'm a cat mom but did notice the mention of it.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:20 AM

9,372 posts, read 8,099,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Charleston, SC is very liberal and has excellent health care. Awesome weather, beautiful city, fantastic food, lovely people.

I wouldn't listen to anyone who doesn't have specific experience with South Carolina.
I agree.

I was born and raised in the greater Boston (Waltham) area. My wife was born and raised in Columbia SC. We met in Boston in the 70's, married, moved to OH then to IL. We returned to MA (Andover) in the mid 80's and then we retired to SC in 2000. We lived in Charleston (Mount Pleasant) SC for 10 years then moved to Columbia (Lexington) SC. Believe me when I say I know both states rather well. The good, the bad, and the ugly which each state has their share of.

You could not pay me enough to return to Boston but, as an example, I would return to Chicago if not for the weather.

Last edited by johngolf; 09-23-2019 at 10:33 AM..

Old 09-23-2019, 10:59 AM
JRR

3,930 posts, read 2,351,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
To me, the good parts of SC (Charleston, metro Greenville, some parts of metro Columbia, and maybe some beach places) are really nice. Greenville is one of my favorite cities and I'd love to live there. Most of the rest of the state isn't that good, and well behind even the "backward" parts of Massachusetts. I lived in Orangeburg for awhile as a kid and it was awful.

If I had to pick between podunk MA and podunk SC, I'd choose MA every time.
I can sympathize with you on Orangeburg. I certainly would not have wanted to live there as a kid. And it was never on our list for retirement. Only thing that I like about it is Edisto Gardens when the roses are in bloom.

Old 09-23-2019, 02:35 PM

4,215 posts, read 3,397,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Look at Del Web in the north west (mountains) part of SC. It is called Caroline lakes and is just below Charlette NC. Not sure why lakes is in the name but their is a river and I think you can use small boats on it.

I think it is built out by now so you might also get some good deals.

Be sure to talk to a few residences and make sur they do not have any HOA problems and maintenance is good.

I hear there is a lot more retail now. When I was there you had to drive a few miles to find anything.

I think you do get 3 seasons and can have hail (ask about it).
That part of the US seems to have mostly-agreeable weather. Not entirely, like say San Diego (spot-on, most of the time, by the numbers).

I spent six months in Charlotte in 2010, off and on (mostly on), living out of the Residence Inn (there are several). Company paid for car rental so I had time to tour. I'd never seen the Carolinas. I tried to go to all the major sites. There are many.

July-December was pretty nice, storms whip in from time to time and ice up the place. And the hail...friend of mine who lives in Raleigh had to make an insurance claim, busted up her F150's finish. NOT cheap. I think it's rather Conservative. I don't care, others do.

I like threads like this because i'm having the devil's time deciding where to buy in investment property, t-minus ten years. Not to steal the thread, but mine is: PacNW vs. western FL vs. someplace like Charlotte. Another thread, maybe. Good luck to OP.

Old 09-23-2019, 02:42 PM

4,194 posts, read 2,899,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
i have lived in both and am currently in sc . don't move to sc . they tax your car as personal property and also your home as well . it stinks here . I loved ma when I lived there and if my hubs would live there I would be there but he wont so it is what it is . The people in sc are rather uneducated by my standards and the economy is based on two things colleges and tourism . The politicians and city officials are so crooked here . I'm ready to go now but we have to wait until my husband retires . We are retiring to Florida better tax breaks there . Please do yourself a favor and run from Sc. Get yourself to ma . I live in sc now and am dreading moving here everyday . The libraries are underfunded as well . Every time it comes to giving money to the library most of the voting population votes it down no money for the libraries .
I don't understand what you mean when you say they tax your home as personal property, do you mean something different than they typical property taxes everyone pays? Our property tax here in SC is only $1000 a year and I find that amazingly low. Our car taxes are lower than what we paid in CA. I have no complaints about either.

Our schools are brand new. My DIL insists our library is one of the best she's ever taken our grandkids to.

Sorry you don't like your area but don't badmouth the whole state.

Old 09-23-2019, 03:00 PM

34,952 posts, read 34,111,129 times
If one of you were to die, where would the other be better off alone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or