U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 04:33 PM

4,241 posts, read 2,811,143 times

Advertisements

I can't comment on the location but I will comment on the dogs. Are they large dogs? Are any of them pit or pit mixes? If the answer to the first question is yes, I think it will be hard to find a place that will accept 4 (or 5) large dogs. Most condos have a two pet limit and usually there is a weight limit as well (usually 30-40 lbs). Landlords are generally not very accepting of large dogs or of more than 2 pets even if they're smaller.

If any of them are pits or pit mixes, I think it will be extremely hard to find somewhere to rent. Most landlords won't accept pits or pit mixes or anything that even looks remotely looks like a pit bull.

Of course there are exceptions to what I've written above but I think it may be harder than you anticipate to rent with multiple dogs, especially if they're large dogs.

One other thing to consider, if you're moving from a house to a condo you may find your dogs will bark more because there are more sounds, people coming and going etc. I know there have been posts in the dog forum about that. They also won't have a yard to run in and will need a lot more exercise or they could find ways to work off that energy that are destructive. They will be needing more frequent and longer walks without a yard and that's something to consider when looking at a colder climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 05:13 PM

14,650 posts, read 7,909,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
I'm not sure you're correct about one's primary residence not being subject to local school property tax. Can you share a link concerning this statement?
Jeez. That’s a trivial Google.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sout...rom+school.tax

Old 09-23-2019, 05:41 PM

14,650 posts, read 7,909,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Yes for the weather. However, there is a huge drug problem up there and little industry to support the area.

""However, it should be very clear to all by now, that The Berkshires is a hot bed of Drug Abuse. It not only has the Highest Elevation in the State (Mt. Greylock at 3,492 Feet) but, it has More People High. How did this Mecca of Museums and Culture, Safe New England American Images and Safe Music become a 21st Century Drug Den?

The Berkshires is located in the picturesque Taconic Mountain Range about 150 miles from the “Unsafe” Bronx and about 3,000 miles from “Dangerous” Tijuana, Mexico."

The Death Rate From Opioid Abuse In Massachusetts Is More Than Twice The National Average! In The Berkshires It Is No.5 In The Nation! Not 15th Or 25th, But 5th !!!!

https://www.greylockglass.com/2016/0...rkshires-next/

There are drugs in Westchester County, NY too. However, there is a good economy with able jobs which kepts the drug abuse rates down.
I commented up-thread about the “good” part of the Berkshires. Great Barrington, Stockbridge, and Lenox. Where affluent people own summer homes and listen to the Boston Symphony at Tanglewood. North Adams on the Vermont border is heroin zombies. Northern New England has the same drug problem and the same “good town” vs “bad town” thing. I imagine upstate New York (not Westchester) also has the problem. It’s also rampant in the townie part of Cape Cod.

Old 09-24-2019, 08:55 AM

137 posts, read 41,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I commented up-thread about the “good” part of the Berkshires. Great Barrington, Stockbridge, and Lenox. Where affluent people own summer homes and listen to the Boston Symphony at Tanglewood. North Adams on the Vermont border is heroin zombies. Northern New England has the same drug problem and the same “good town” vs “bad town” thing. I imagine upstate New York (not Westchester) also has the problem. It’s also rampant in the townie part of Cape Cod.

There are no cheap deals out there. Stay away from low income housing and you will be ok.
Just like anywhere else.

Old 09-24-2019, 09:00 AM

9,644 posts, read 8,611,536 times
[quote=phonelady61;56240926]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Charleston, SC is very liberal and has excellent health care. Awesome weather, beautiful city, fantastic food, lovely people.

I wouldn't listen to anyone who doesn't have specific experience with South Carolina.[/QUOTE)

Exactly people who live somewhere for a yr and have never paid but 1yr in taxes . Don't know the area today . I have lived in the midlands part of sc going on 5 years and they are super on taxes . the roads stink potholes everywhere . Politicians are always coming up with ways to raise taxes and you get nothing for paying those taxes . why just this month we found out our county wont let us extend our deck without a contractor and blue prints . In other words if you do the work yourself you can only replace what is there . I cant stand a city or county or state that tells you what you can do with your own property . Don't move to the midlands portion of sc . I cant wait to get out and move back to florida .
Same thing in Florida!! I95 is attrocious and in Florida, not only will they not allow you to extend your deck without a contractor but you have to have permits also!!

Yep, you can't even pour concrete in your own yard in Florida without plans, permits, and a contractor!

Old 09-24-2019, 11:08 AM

37,658 posts, read 46,503,288 times
I’m originally from MA, spent most of my life in the Midwest and am retired in Savannah, which is just over the SC line.. To me, MA is just NY-lite. It might cost less than NY, but it ain’t called Taxachusetts for nothing.

Moving to the south is like moving to Mars, after the pace of the north, although there are so many northerners here, and we seem to gravitate to each other. Some people welcome the slower pace, but others find it a source of irritation. The climate here is wonderful in fall, winter and spring. The summer is very hot and humid. This is also true of NC and SC.

Here, there is always something going on here. Savannah is full of artists, students and wonderful restaurants. It has a symphony and an active music scene. It is becoming a popular place for movie production. We have found the medical care to be very available and good.

If you like to be near the ocean, I suggest Charleston or Hilton Head, SC, Savannah or the sea islands of GA. (Hilton Head is only a half hour from Savannah, so it’s like getting two for the price of one.) These places are oppressively hot in the summer. If you want more defined seasons, go for Asheville or the towns in the Blue Ridge Mountains. You will get some snow there, though.

Last edited by gentlearts; 09-24-2019 at 11:28 AM..

Old 09-24-2019, 11:17 AM

37,658 posts, read 46,503,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
To me, the good parts of SC (Charleston, metro Greenville, some parts of metro Columbia, and maybe some beach places) are really nice. Greenville is one of my favorite cities and I'd love to live there. Most of the rest of the state isn't that good, and well behind even the "backward" parts of Massachusetts. I lived in Orangeburg for awhile as a kid and it was awful.

If I had to pick between podunk MA and podunk SC, I'd choose MA every time.
There is a lot of truth to this. If you are not in the beautiful parts of the Carolinas, GA or FL, it is miles of flat, tired looking nothingness. In climates where the leaves stay on most of the trees, you don’t get the “freshening” as much as you do when everything dies back.

I remember the “bad” parts of MA, still being beautiful. At least there is fall color, sparkling snow, and mountains and hills.

Old 09-29-2019, 05:23 PM

853 posts, read 780,902 times
Thanks everyone. Lots to think about...

Old 09-30-2019, 05:33 AM

1,556 posts, read 769,899 times
We will be moving to the Hilton Head SC area from Western Ma, next month. So happy too be out, before the snow comes. Had our fill of the fall leaves too. Not so nice when you have too go out and rake everyday. I will enjoy looking at snow.....on Christmas cards....that`s if we get any.

Old 09-30-2019, 07:07 AM

24,638 posts, read 18,351,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I can sympathize with you on Orangeburg. I certainly would not have wanted to live there as a kid. And it was never on our list for retirement. Only thing that I like about it is Edisto Gardens when the roses are in bloom.
My parents had teaching degrees and were never able to find a teaching job after graduating here in northeast TN. They somehow ended up in Orangeburg and taught in nearby Bowman. I went to Cherokee Elementary School in Orangeburg. I don't remember much, but it was a majority black community and I remember being assaulted on the playground and still have a scar on my forehead from that. Dad told me awhile back they moved back here a little bit after someone was beheaded near the elementary school they taught it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
There is a lot of truth to this. If you are not in the beautiful parts of the Carolinas, GA or FL, it is miles of flat, tired looking nothingness. In climates where the leaves stay on most of the trees, you don’t get the “freshening” as much as you do when everything dies back.

I remember the “bad” parts of MA, still being beautiful. At least there is fall color, sparkling snow, and mountains and hills.
To me, the best parts of SC are the sort of "triangle" area between Rock Hill, Columbia, and metro Greenville. I never much cared for the whole Myrtle Beach scene. I went to Charleston a couple years ago and was not that impressed.

North Carolina is much the same way. I'd like to live in WNC, Raleigh, and some parts of Charlotte. Eastern NC aside from the beach might as well be a no man's land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or