U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 08:02 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,641,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Good Heavens, this is NOT meant to be a judgmental inquiry, choff5 (gave you a rep for your response). It was just a rather tentative time, I believe, for women & their adult lives. And you are CORRECT regarding the STEM careers. Back then, most women (like me) went for "girl careers" such as nursing or teaching. I recall being rather amazed that two of my female classmates went to college to study engineering!

I would have liked to have been a film director But my 1st generation Italian parents thought I had lost my mind!!! I've greatly enjoyed teaching, though, and over the last decade developed a film course for high-schoolers and the local community college - based on DIRECTORS!
Oh, I know you donít mean it that way! I guess Iím just still sensitive about how out right nuts some people got at judging others back then and Iím sure hoping we have all learned a lot since then. Iím also wondering if it also the beginning of social media where for once we could comment on a bulletin board without really knowing the other people out there. Those days of Prodigy were an awakening for a lot of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:13 AM

16,611 posts, read 10,558,689 times
I do think society is pretty accepting now of married/not married kids/no kids.

back then it was 'oh you'll meet someone someday'.

single mothers (not widowed or divorced) were not looked on too favorably.

Old Today, 08:46 AM

26,496 posts, read 33,525,729 times
Quote:
TO MY FELLOW FEMALE BOOMERS: We came up during an "In-between" time in history: after the "Greatest Generation' & before the Xers. My question is: How many of you were Stay-At-Home Moms & how many were Career Women? OR were you Moms who had active careers & what were they? Would LOVE to know your story!! Thanks

I would never have felt comfortable relying on someone else to "provide" for me financially. I had a good career going before I ever met my husband (and now ex-husband) and in fact made quite a bit more than he did. I was able to find good in-home child care while my son was little, and that worked best for me. My mother went to work after we were all in school, and having a working mom was the norm, for us. In fact, she also was the main breadwinner. My father was never great at career choices, so I think that sort of forced my mom to take the lead.

Old Today, 09:29 AM
mlb

3,337 posts, read 2,940,457 times
Born in ‘53..... started working at 15 when my mother dragged me to the state unemployment office to sign a waiver and get me started. Worked until I was 65 - so that’s 50 years.

Always knew I would be supporting myself. Married late - best decision ever - but could not have children. Absolutely no regrets. My dogs are my kids....

I have lived in communities where women were encouraged NOT to work and be SAHM.... then the economy happened. I think its far more important to love what you do - regardless of what that is.... rather than being forced into it and dealing with the consequences.

Old Today, 09:37 AM

3,790 posts, read 2,899,226 times
My wife was a stay at home most of the time Mom until the daughter was 14 and the son was 2 and daughter was 5. Then she worked in a nursery school where my son was in school. After that for about 6 years she substitute taught in the elementary schools. Then when the daughter was 14, and the son was 11, she started her own Quaker School.

Soooo.... for the first 6 years or so she was mostly a stay at home mom.

Old Today, 09:41 AM

8,030 posts, read 11,803,233 times
I wanted, or at least thought I wanted to get married etc. but it never worked out. Career woman. Never married, no kids. Born in 56

I have a facebook group for us, over 50, never married, no children

Old Today, 09:48 AM

1,136 posts, read 307,821 times
Despite being in Track 1 in high school, parents told me to go into "secretarial program" which were my lowest grades. My father said, college was a waste for women and they only go to college to get a husband. I was employed as a secretary and decided to go to "night school" as it was called then and received my BA in six years as a part-time student. I did not want the life of my mother who was financially dependent upon my father and endured many hardships in marriage.

I relocated and was hired by a Fortune 500 company and have worked a combination of full-time, part-time job share (briefly) and self-employment over 40 years. Fortunately, my sister and mother-in-law provided child care so I didn't have any worries.

I consider myself a career woman because my career was important to me and was a tremendous learning experience.

I am happy how things turned out. No regrets.

Last edited by Maddie104; Today at 09:58 AM..

Old Today, 09:56 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,056,418 times
Hmm, I never had kids and don’t remember that being a stigma. My subgen of Baby Boomer was the very lower age group that embraced (or not) Women’s Lib, so the stigma was already starting to fade. Not gone, just not stifling as it must have been for the boomers born 10 to 15 yrs earlier.

I never considered myself a career woman, just a worker.

I do remember as a kid that the main female professions were nursing, teaching, and admin, though.

Old Today, 10:06 AM

9,306 posts, read 4,577,876 times
Quote:
TO MY FELLOW FEMALE BOOMERS: We came up during an "In-between" time in history: after the "Greatest Generation' & before the Xers. My question is: How many of you were Stay-At-Home Moms & how many were Career Women? OR were you Moms who had active careers & what were they? Would LOVE to know your story!! Thanks
I started out adhering to the Traditional Generation's principles and values, as I was raised by parents who were 20 years older into the next generation. Yes, it makes a difference as I saw how my classmate interacted with their parents, as opposed the relationship I had with mine.

Life situation changed though and so did I. I raised 3 children after 12 years of marriage, I was single mom with a few years of college. I was never career oriented though and I am still not to this day.

If my marriage had been a good one, I would have been a happy stay at home mom as that was the goal, in keeping with traditional values.

Old Today, 10:29 AM

57,504 posts, read 55,718,270 times
I think I fall into that area of "between-ness" where expectations and reality part company. I was born in 1958. Going to college something other people did and was never on the radar for me. I expected to work until I met someone, got married, and had kids, and then I would stay home and raise them as my mother had.

Nothing went as planned. I went to secretarial school after two years out of high school so I could get a decent job that paid more than retail. I married someone I shouldn't have when I got to the point when I knew he would be my only shot at getting married. I had one kid. Wanted more, but I had to work because I was the main support of the family as my now-ex spiraled downhill and then we divorced. My mother took care of my daughter while I worked, and my daughter went to Grandma's after school instead of home because I was thirty miles away in NYC working to pay the bills.

Although I went back to night school for a short time, I never got a degree, but I did manage to get promoted into management after six years of being a secretary, eventually worked my way up the ladder internally, and ended up with an OK career that I never wanted.

I was sad for a long time that I had no chances to remarry or have more kids, but sometimes you just have to accept life as it comes. I have a good relationship with my daughter (who unlike me wanted to go to college and never wanted children since she was a little girl.) My daughter has a great relationship with my mother, as well.

I am retired and not rich but doing OK because that temporary secretary job turned into a 37-year public sector career and I have a state pension.

I got the opposite of what I wanted, but maybe, as Mick sang, we get what we need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or