Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 06:55 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,330,236 times

Advertisements

TO MY FELLOW FEMALE BOOMERS: We came up during an "In-between" time in history: after the "Greatest Generation' & before the Xers. My question is: How many of you were Stay-At-Home Moms & how many were Career Women? OR were you Moms who had active careers & what were they? Would LOVE to know your story!! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2019, 07:15 AM

4,705 posts, read 4,357,907 times
BOTH?
I joke that I took a 15 year maternity leave. So I was definitely a SAHM but I did go back originally part time and then full time ( like for the last 15 to 20 years). However, I guess taking that 15 year maternity break , coupled with my non aggressive way, took me out of the running for super career woman.

Old 09-21-2019, 07:38 AM

30,239 posts, read 15,998,725 times
not a mom. never married. no regrets.

but that meant I had to be a career woman.

Old 09-21-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
not a mom. never married. no regrets.

but that meant I had to be a career woman.
I'm single with no children as well - always regretted not having children, though. That just didn't happen that much during our day, however. Now my nieces were a different story...

Old 09-21-2019, 07:57 AM

10,979 posts, read 9,617,516 times
I always had a job. Had to support myself. Even when I was married we needed two paychecks. I didn't want kids, and have no regrets about not having any. After my divorce in my 30's, I wasn't looking to get remarried, but bought a house with my BF of 5 years, and we did eventually get married. I worked full-time continuously from age 16 to age 51 when I retired. I think the longest I ever went between jobs was when I got out of the Air Force and had to find civilian work, that took 3 weeks. I've been very happily retired for 9 years now.

Old 09-21-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I always had a job. Had to support myself. Even when I was married we needed two paychecks. I didn't want kids, and have no regrets about not having any. After my divorce in my 30's, I wasn't looking to get remarried, but bought a house with my BF of 5 years, and we did eventually get married. I worked full-time continuously from age 16 to age 51 when I retired. I think the longest I ever went between jobs was when I got out of the Air Force and had to find civilian work, that took 3 weeks. I've been very happily retired for 9 years now.
Sounds as though you had an interesting life: Air force: VERY impressive!!!

Old 09-21-2019, 08:09 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,409,446 times
Oh please, don’t let this turn into a “working mom” vs a SAHM (stay at home mom) debate. I waged that “war” plenty when raising my children and working, usually on the beginnings of the internet, Prodigy. I don’t regret working one bit, but do have to admit I worked in the public education field so had the summers to basically be just mom. What I regret is Title IX didn’t occur until I was in college and I never felt I ever had a mentor to guide, encourage me to look seriously at what we now call the STEM careers. While I loved what I did as a career, I think I could have done well in those fields too.

Old 09-21-2019, 08:25 AM

6,869 posts, read 11,180,688 times
Smile Both....

Went to work at 15. Of course, employer thought I was 18 until 2 months later when I had to tell them I was 15. Gave the money to my parents to pay their expenses. Thought it would be a short term thing but it was not.

Put a lot of my dreams on hold; never thought too far ahead; made mistakes. Never thought I'd get married or have children.

That surprise happened but by that time I owned a company with my brother (34 employees) so I took off 3 days I think. I ended up finding an amazing woman who took care of our kids for 21 years (total) - she was a grandma for hire and she really became part of our family. She was 68 when we hired her; 89 when she passed away - true New Yorker all the way and did it HER WAY!!!

I loved having my children; they are amazing young adults now but if I could go back, I would wish I would have taken 5 years and been a SAHM. I tried to fit in everything I could but those years having our children were by far the happiest of my life plus having my business. It was kind of like my baby too.

I was never discriminated against as far as work - other things, yes - but work, no. Never had a problem finding a job either. I wasn't looking for the CEO position either.

Being a SAHM is just as important and I know many working women who walk out that door each morning and it's hard to leave your children. I knew my children were well taken care of but it still gave me the pit in the stomach.

Old 09-21-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
Oh please, don’t let this turn into a “working mom” vs a SAHM (stay at home mom) debate. I waged that “war” plenty when raising my children and working, usually on the beginnings of the internet, Prodigy. I don’t regret working one bit, but do have to admit I worked in the public education field so had the summers to basically be just mom. What I regret is Title IX didn’t occur until I was in college and I never felt I ever had a mentor to guide, encourage me to look seriously at what we now call the STEM careers. While I loved what I did as a career, I think I could have done well in those fields too.
Good Heavens, this is NOT meant to be a judgmental inquiry, choff5 (gave you a rep for your response). It was just a rather tentative time, I believe, for women & their adult lives. And you are CORRECT regarding the STEM careers. Back then, most women (like me) went for "girl careers" such as nursing or teaching. I recall being rather amazed that two of my female classmates went to college to study engineering!

I would have liked to have been a film director But my 1st generation Italian parents thought I had lost my mind!!! I've greatly enjoyed teaching, though, and over the last decade developed a film course for high-schoolers and the local community college - based on DIRECTORS!

Old 09-21-2019, 08:55 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,657,481 times
I’ve always worked, but when I had kids, I was a working mom. My kids came first. I was lucky I had career that I didn’t have to travel, I was also lucky that I had career that I could work at home 1/3 of my working life. I had a STEM career, switched over from a non STEM career in my sophomore year in college, thanks to my brother who mentioned Boolean algebra to me and SWE(Society of Women Engineers). But I’m a late bloomer, not an early bloomer. That might have made a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement