U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 11:37 AM

14,159 posts, read 6,789,241 times

Advertisements

Maybe he knew his time was coming, about refusing to see a doctor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 12:15 PM

15,435 posts, read 8,825,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Maybe he knew his time was coming, about refusing to see a doctor.
Pneumonia used to be called "old man's friend" because it was a relatively fast and painless way to die when one was older - not the worst way to go, by any means.

Old Today, 12:54 PM

22,094 posts, read 14,642,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Lifespan: Why We Age—and Why We Don't Have To
David A. Sinclair
https://www.amazon.com/Lifespan-Why-...9073013&sr=8-3

I'm finding this book really fascinating. His recommendations include IF (Intermittent Fasting), CR (Calorie Restriction), plant based diet, exercise and exposure to cold. The health projections for the coming decades are well worth discussion. Author is a professor at Harvard Medical school, and has a lot of insight into current research.

Thank you so much for posting this Kara, I've read your posts in the Health and Wellness forum and I can really respect your approach to staying healthy, you walk the talk. Great information like this should be read by anyone concerned about staying healthy, which it seems like too many don't care about these days.

Old Today, 12:56 PM

22,094 posts, read 14,642,826 times
Quote:
That's hilarious. I had no idea.
You find that funny? I complimented you and then I scroll down and see this.

Whutevah's…….

Old Today, 01:12 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
23,111 posts, read 40,636,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Everyone ages, and everyone dies at some point. That's a fact of life. ... Quality of life rather than quantity of life should be the focus.
I am targeting both;

Quantity = fitting as much into life during the 'defined' space (not extending that space)

I always worked (3) jobs, so when I retired... (pre age 50), I just kept up a similar pace (while able).

May burn out and drop dead (hopefully sooner than 'too-late').
but I have a lot of friends in their 90's still hard to keep up with.

Doing the IF, and CR, not the Plant ONLY based diet, Bit of exercise (Lap swimming 1-2 miles at a time)

I expect to age, ... not so sure I can crack this formula;
The key is activating newly discovered vitality genes, the descendants of an ancient genetic survival circuit that is both the cause of aging and the key to reversing it.

Maybe... good luck with that.

Old Today, 01:14 PM

21,595 posts, read 17,133,569 times
Quote:
Lifespan: Why We Age—and Why We Don't Have To
David A. Sinclair
https://www.amazon.com/Lifespan-Why-...9073013&sr=8-3

I'm finding this book really fascinating. His recommendations include IF (Intermittent Fasting), CR (Calorie Restriction), plant based diet, exercise and exposure to cold. The health projections for the coming decades are well worth discussion. Author is a professor at Harvard Medical school, and has a lot of insight into current research.
By far the experiments and studies that have sought life extension have found the most consistent positive findings for actually increasing life span have been those that focused on caloric restriction. The idea is the slower your metabolism, the longer your body lasts. 3000 calories eaten throughout a day is to your body like driving your car at 90 mph all the time, the engine is always revved. While 1100 calories is like cruising along at 35. It doesn't wear out as fast.

I wish I could pursue it as a lifestyle, but have never been able to stick to a real low calorie diet. It would be easier if my fiance were doing it with me.

Old Today, 01:42 PM

3,428 posts, read 1,175,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
You find that funny? I complimented you and then I scroll down and see this.

Whutevah's…….
Well, yes, but in a macabre sort of way. Gallows humor.

Old Today, 01:45 PM

3,428 posts, read 1,175,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
By far the experiments and studies that have sought life extension have found the most consistent positive findings for actually increasing life span have been those that focused on caloric restriction. The idea is the slower your metabolism, the longer your body lasts. 3000 calories eaten throughout a day is to your body like driving your car at 90 mph all the time, the engine is always revved. While 1100 calories is like cruising along at 35. It doesn't wear out as fast.

I wish I could pursue it as a lifestyle, but have never been able to stick to a real low calorie diet. It would be easier if my fiance were doing it with me.
Intermittent fasting does it for me. I started a year ago last August and don't anticipate stopping. OMAD, even. But sometimes lunch, or sometimes a social meal with family or friends. It's so flexible.

Old Today, 02:05 PM

4,157 posts, read 2,657,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Pneumonia used to be called "old man's friend" because it was a relatively fast and painless way to die when one was older - not the worst way to go, by any means.
Pneumonia is the end for so many people. that or a fall.

Old Today, 02:21 PM

54 posts, read 20,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
That's pretty much my point. I'd much rather die at the age of 70 while still mentally and physically capable, then to live to 90 or beyond in a state of physical or mental impairment. I'm 65.
I'd much rather live to the age of 90
I'm 70
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or