U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:38 PM

14,164 posts, read 6,795,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
He still had a great and healthy life up till then. Even in his 80ís he said he still had regular sex, no assist from pills. And he still did those stunts on his birthday like pulling a truck, well into old age. I read he took like 100 supplements a day.
The story would be better if he died while having sex in his 90s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:29 PM

21,611 posts, read 17,142,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
The story would be better if he died while having sex in his 90s.
Yes, that wouldíve been awesome. Hugh Hefner should have died that way too!

Old Yesterday, 07:12 PM

22,096 posts, read 14,648,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post

Interesting, too, that the book, along with the audio version, is available on Kindle, which you can read by scrolling down the page and also substantially enlarge the print. Handy for those of us with visual disabilities.
Yep, and I just bought it on Amazon for my Kindle, too. Look forward to reading it.

Old Yesterday, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
You're right, but it's important to remember how the human body is hardwired. Our ancestors did not have food available 24/7, they would go long periods of time without eating at all. That is one reason why researchers have found that the best way to reverse aging and stay healthy is to practice intermittent fasting and not eat at all for various periods of time. (One way this translates into better health is the preservation, and even regeneration, of your telomeres, scientists have discovered).

And you're spot on about the metabolism, do you know there is a huge turtle that is, I believe, living on the Galapagos that was born when George Washington was President? That's incredible and hard to believe, but their metabolism allows this lifespan.
Our ancestors didn’t live that long.

I did a bit of research on this, since I’ve decided to take SS at 70, I want to make sure I will live the lifestyle that benefits it, the Okinawan from Japan is known to be living longest, not because they just eat a lot of fish like a lot of Japanese but they also eat a bit of pork, and that’s meat.

Old Yesterday, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Thatís amazing about the turtle! I did not know that.

So where does exercise fit in? Doesnít cardio raise your metabolism? Better to stick to weights than cardio?
Exercise stimulates your metabolism, and there are other ways to raise your metabolism, but I think your metabolism is a matter of genetics. Cardio and strength training are essential to good health, and if you have a family history of poor health, then it is more important than ever to get active. You don't have to run marathons, as research has shown that simply walking has incredible health benefits.

Old Yesterday, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Our ancestors didnít live that long.

I did a bit of research on this, since Iíve decided to take SS at 70, I want to make sure I will live the lifestyle that benefits it, the Okinawan from Japan is known to be living longest, not because they just eat a lot of fish like a lot of Japanese but they also eat a bit of pork, and thatís meat.
Yes, there is a book that looks specifically at where people live the longest, it is called The Blue Zones, another book I want to read.

Old Yesterday, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Yes, there is a book that looks specifically at where people live the longest, it is called The Blue Zones, another book I want to read.
I read the reviews, they give me more ideas on where to travel next. The seafood in the Ikaria Island is to die for. Forget about fasting. Sorry to digress.

Old Yesterday, 08:24 PM

21,611 posts, read 17,142,958 times
Quote:
Exercise stimulates your metabolism, and there are other ways to raise your metabolism, but I think your metabolism is a matter of genetics. Cardio and strength training are essential to good health, and if you have a family history of poor health, then it is more important than ever to get active. You don't have to run marathons, as research has shown that simply walking has incredible health benefits.
Yes I know that, but was wondering how it can dovetail with the findings of the many studies that show a slow metabolism (via caloric restriction) correlated with longevity...if cardio speeds it up, can it be counter-productive even while producing other benefits?

Old Yesterday, 09:40 PM

3,513 posts, read 4,066,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Jack LaLane was run over by a car when he was out running at 96, preparing for a marathon.
From Google: Death. LaLanne died of respiratory failure due to pneumonia at his home on January 23, 2011. He was 96.

I remember when it was reported he passed away, and I knew it wasn't from being run over by a car while preparing for a marathon. I am ASSuming you were being silly?

Old Yesterday, 09:51 PM

3,513 posts, read 4,066,042 times
And here we have the other sided of the weight issue......

KFC is testing a fried chicken sandwich that has glazed doughnuts as buns.

There needs to be a book written on how to say "no" to this kind of temptation. This way of eating is guaranteed to take years off one's life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or