U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 10:25 AM

22,377 posts, read 17,042,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lathemanjack View Post
I'd much rather live to the age of 90
I'm 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
That's pretty much my point. I'd much rather die at the age of 70 while still mentally and physically capable, then to live to 90 or beyond in a state of physical or mental impairment. I'm 65.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Interesting how one's perspective changes as one gets older.
I've taken good care of myself over the years and value both mental and physical fitness. Some people retain one or both into a good old age. Others don't. As long as I do have both. . .good. But rather than lose either to the ravages of time I'd rather die younger while I still have both. It's a personal preference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 10:39 AM

14,169 posts, read 6,795,849 times
It depends on the impairment, even as a young old age of 42, I had to walk with my husband’s help to a wedding. Your body slowly repaired, I didn’t want to die at 42. Now at 60, I’m healthier than I ever been. Mentally, nobody in my family had dementia, AZ, or Parkinson’s, they all died younger than that. Stoke, heart attack, cancer.
I have two aunts in their 90s still mobile, they do some light cooking, one has to rely on some sort of medication for high BP, but that’s it.

Old Today, 10:44 AM

3 posts
Someone once told me " Don't worry about old age, it doesn't last". Sage advice !!

Old Today, 11:14 AM

21,614 posts, read 17,142,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
The KFC sandwich thing is just gross. I like both but eaten separately and rarely. Even as a teen, I would not have wanted something like that. It sounds like a joke, but there have been other odd fast food gimmicks.

My opinion about this topic. While I have no professional science background, I still believe that longevity is tied up in genetics to a large degree. I think healthy diet does influence whether or not you have longevity, but only to a limited degree.

With that being said, the book sounds intriguing, I may order it soon.

Genetics certainly plays a role but there are actually a lot of studies that show caloric restriction has a very positive impact on longevity. Also quality of life is at least as important as quantity, and it's hard to have a good quality of life with Diabetes or heart disease or the many other diseases that are triggered by diet. There is a far, far greater percentage of the population with diseases today than in the past, so it cannot be attributed to genetics primarily. Acquired Diabetes (as opposed to Juvenile, which people are born with) and high blood pressure/high cholesterol are now becoming prevalent among kids also, which was almost unheard of in the past.

Old Today, 11:20 AM

57,533 posts, read 55,737,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Intermittent fasting does it for me. I started a year ago last August and don't anticipate stopping. OMAD, even. But sometimes lunch, or sometimes a social meal with family or friends. It's so flexible.
Perhaps it needs its own thread, but how on earth does one do OMAD? I get so cranky and angry when I am hungry, and I can think of nothing else but when I will be able to eat. I can't see the quality of life in being thin but feeling so unhappy and out of sorts for most of the day, not to mention having to concentrate on not snapping at those around me.

Old Today, 11:25 AM

3,434 posts, read 1,179,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Perhaps it needs its own thread, but how on earth does one do OMAD? I get so cranky and angry when I am hungry, and I can think of nothing else but when I will be able to eat. I can't see the quality of life in being thin but feeling so unhappy and out of sorts for most of the day, not to mention having to concentrate on not snapping at those around me.
It doesn't bother me at all. Sometimes in the late afternoon I feel hunger pangs but instead of acting on them I just observe them, and they go away in a few minutes. If I really must have something I have some mineral water or cold green tea. I like Pelligrino or Perrier.

You don't have to do it every day either. Some people start with weekends. Or once a week, only have supper. You're giving your digestive system a rest.

Sometimes I have lunch with friends. I wouldn't start with OMAD. There are a variety of IF and most people start by skipping breakfast, maybe just coffee.

Old Today, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
It depends on the impairment, even as a young old age of 42, I had to walk with my husbandís help to a wedding. Your body slowly repaired, I didnít want to die at 42. Now at 60, Iím healthier than I ever been. Mentally, nobody in my family had dementia, AZ, or Parkinsonís, they all died younger than that. Stoke, heart attack, cancer.
I have two aunts in their 90s still mobile, they do some light cooking, one has to rely on some sort of medication for high BP, but thatís it.
Anecdotal, of course, but I have a 95-year-old great-uncle and his wife. He is tall and was always thin as a stick, and she is five feet tall and about five feet wide. (I remember a few years ago her telling my mother that he doctor was still telling her to lose weight because "I now weigh 269! Same as my house number! HAHAHAHAHA".

She is in an assisted living because she can no longer walk, but her mind is sharp. He has been living home and visiting her, but now he is starting to develop dementia and his kids are putting him into the same facility as his wife.

Diet didn't seem to have an effect here.

I think we probably all have similar family stories.

That said, the odds are better if one practices healthier habits.

Old Today, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
It doesn't bother me at all. Sometimes in the late afternoon I feel hunger pangs but instead of acting on them I just observe them, and they go away in a few minutes. If I really must have something I have some mineral water or cold green tea. I like Pelligrino or Perrier.
OK. That's good that it works for you. I wish I could, but I can't live with my entire life being consumed with thinking about food, so OMAD would not be the way to go for me.

I think I am better off with smaller meals throughout the day. When I did lose 24 pounds a few years ago, I kept track of everything I ate in the My Fitness Pal app, walked/exercised regularly, and because this weight loss was prompted by too-high blood sugar and I didn't want to go on medication, I became especially conscious of the sugar content of foods.

The book in the OP sounds interesting, though, so I think I might check it out.

Just FYI, my mother is almost 91, and her mother lived to be 94, and neither of them ate particularly healthfully, so there are some genetics involved. I'm just not going to rely solely on that, though.

They both drank tea throughout the day, though. Makes you say Hmmm.

Old Today, 11:32 AM

3,089 posts, read 1,676,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I know when I was in Thailand I noticed that most people snacked on relatively healthy foods, several times a day or had very light meals before having dinner, which would be a modest serving compared to the west. So I would suspect that fruit, nuts, & veggies as snacks could hold one over a "fast" with tea, water, etc...

Old Today, 11:40 AM

3,886 posts, read 1,696,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Pneumonia used to be called "old man's friend" because it was a relatively fast and painless way to die when one was older - not the worst way to go, by any means.
Can you self-induce it when your time comes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or